German Shepherds Forum banner

Things you didn't know about GSDs

167K views 361 replies 250 participants last post by  Sebastian Murarescu 
#1 ·
Until you owned one... I'd love to know odd and some mainstream facts that people just did not know about GSDs until they own one.

I'll start - the whining! I was told when researching the breed that they are not big barkers and usually only bark when they feel its necessary. I can attest to that as my dog really only barks when there's someone at the door or when those **** delivery guys slip menus under the door :) whereas my neighbor's sheltie seems to just bark its head off out the window and seemingly nothing...

What I wasn't told is the whining :). not whining dogs who learned whining will get them what they want but whining as most GSDs do - being vocal, whining when excited, whining when I make funny noises, sometimes just whining out of nowhere (not including health issues that we do not know about that's causing them pain or something) - German shepherds are just big vocal dogs that love to "talk" ... I did not know that until owning one but once I did and asked other shepherds' owners they all pretty much said "oh yea that's a GSD for you" lol

so, what did you not know about until getting a shepherd?

#292 ·
I did not know how loving they are and at.the same time not needy. Oh yes Duchess is with me all the time. But i can express affection and she gives it back but when it's over she does not constantly be for more.

Also I did not know how seriously bad things can go regarding their stomachs or spleens. This past year we lost 2 KS to torcid stomachs. Our girl had a torcid
spleen. Close call. So no chasing the tail or rolling in the grass after dinner. Period.

I have had great breeds over my 6 decades of life but none tops my GSD girl Duchess.

#295 ·
How much of a change you are in for when they enter your life, and how much of a crushing blow when you lose them. They tend to leave very big paw prints on your soul. They are very watchful of their humans. I would be lost without a German Shepherd, and glad I have shared my life with several of them. Best breed ever!! :)

#296 ·
I didn't know Jack about GSDs when my husband convinced me to get one (or rather took me to "visit" the breeder and I couldn't help but fall in love) :blush:

I had no idea how intelligent and expressive they are, like he's looking into my soul. Or that he'd whine so much (good or bad), making it difficult for me to decipher what he's trying to tell me. Also I am amazed at how eager they are to please you..Blaster only takes a few practices before he can learn a new trick. He is also incredibly clingy!! Follows me to every room..I go into the kitchen and he's following a few steps behind and lays down in front of what I'm doing..I go into the bathroom and he just stands there looking at me (awkward :laugh:)...but basically neither my husband or I can get up and change rooms without him following. He's so curious!! Lastly, I didn't know about the sensitive stomach of a GSD, but we're figuring out ways to deal with it :p

#297 ·
I've learned mine can be a furniture mover and I can probably get him a job somewhere. As long as there is a ball, he will move whatever needed to get to it:D

How it was before I went to work

When I got home...

#302 ·
I've owned two before. I knew they were smart and my other male could climb fences but he was an adult.

Karina surprised me when, the day she came home, she climbed the baby fences we had around the house (for the kids). I thought they would help contain her...I was wrong.

She's very smart and if she's out in the yard alone I feel like she's usually up to no good. She has that look like a kid that just got caught doing something but you don't know what they were doing. You know they may have been doing something - you just don't know what.

She eats poo sometimes. Her own. *barf*

They're amazingly good with kids.

There are a million things I already knew about GSDs I guess but each one is different and Karina is her own special little gal. <3

#303 ·
The intelligence...Like someone else said, sometimes I can just see the wheels turning in Newlie's head: "Do I really feel like sitting? Is their a cookie involved?"

The non-nonsense voice I have to use for obedience.

How vocal he is.

How affectionate and sweet he is. He follows me everywhere, likes to keep me in sight if he can't follow, parks on top of me at night, loves cuddling and belly-rubs and giving kisses.

How much I love him.

#306 ·
I expected smart. I DIDN'T expect: How in tune with human emotions they are. How they can be big crybabies. How much they vocalize to express their emotions. How much cuddling they want.

I really love them more than I expected. I got my two boys after losing my dear Peanut, who had some GSD and some Kelpie in her background. She was remarkable, and I worried any new dog would somehow not be as loved. But I adore my funny boys . . .I often wish Peanut was here to happily boss them around though, lol.

#307 ·
I am now a proud owner of a year and 8 month old female GSD. We just adopted her from a friends friend. She is totally awesome so far, she immediately imprinted on my 10 year old daughter and follows her around, sleeps by her, follows her to the bathroom. I am learning she might have a problem with separation anxiety. She is very smart, very active, loves to fetch, reads emotions on the face quickly, wants to eat my ferret and cats, gets along with the other dogs just fine. I am happy to be the proud owner of this new dog, however, her ears do not always stand erect unless she is interested in something or is on guard.

#308 ·
I adopted a 5 year old female and the first week she followed me EVERYWHERE. Now she is a little more independent as she sees my routine. As long as I'm within earshot she will stay where she's at. I'm not really sure it's any kind of separation anxiety as it's more of that's just how they are; they want to know where you're at because you're the pack leader.

Watch out for counter surfing. The counters are high enough where she can't actually get up on them but she puts her paws up there and sniffs for food. If you leave ANYTHING out that is remotely tasty, she will get it. I learned the hard way with a 3/4 stick of butter and a sack of bread.

:)

#309 ·
Wow, so many things listed here I knew were GSD traits in general, like land sharking (still trying to get the human and feline family used to that) and Velcro puppy but some things I thought were just peculiar to my Adelaide, like her love of feet and ice cubes! This is an interesting read.

#310 ·
LOL!! I just gave Ruby two ice cubes before I jumped on line here. She loves them. NO ONE can get a drink from the fridge without having to tithe to Ruby her share of ice cubes. Ha! We started her on this as a puppy when she was teething and it just stuck. LOW CAL to say the least and she loves the crunching. Plus, no mess! Perfect.

I had no idea German Shepherds has this weird telepathic super power that could wake you from a dead sleep. I will be sleeping and wake from nowhere while she sits patiently in the dark boring a hole in my skull with her stare. She can be across the room too! HA! It works every time... and then I shuffle to let her out to potty ... at 3am. :/

#311 ·
With Vessie being my first GSD, I had very few expectations. I thought that she would be way less cuddly, and that she wouldn't bond with me so completely. She is my little best friend. She always wants love and to be with me. It makes me feel so special! I was prepared for a puppy that would be independent and aloof. While she is both of those things, she is so much more. She has so many different facets to her personality. I just love her.

#312 ·
I didnt know how much they understood what we wanted from them!

Our old boy r.i.p was a child herder :)
At the park our daughter who was 2 at the time would run across the field wed say go bring her back Bo and hed run around her to turn her back into our direction to bring her back :wub:

Oh and how much HAIR COMES OFF THEM OMG! My poor vacuum haha

#314 ·
These dogs are soooo smart! have had several breeds over the years and always wanted a shepherd but my ex was set against it....When I took my 3 year old Sheherd home and on the 3rd day he nudged the sliding closet door open,pulled out a folded blanket,took it back to the spot he was laying, shook it to unfold it and proceeded to lay down on it....I KNEW I WAS DEALING WITH INTELLIGENCE on a different level than I had ever dealt with before!!! Looking forward to bonding with this awesome pup :)

#316 ·
The wife did not believe me that he would grow out of that puppy stage where they bite everything and everyone. Now he sleeps in a leather recliner right next to 20 or 30 pairs of shoes.
Things I did not know.......or things I had forgot from my boyhood GSD, is how he can go from being crazy and playful to completely stopped and calm with 1 word. STOP!. Then he's back to his normal calm state. I love that.

#317 ·
How in tune they are with you. How they pick up your energy and body language. How they follow your lead. What a love bug they can be. They are so smart and pick up on so much. A big mush to anyone we invite in the door but at same time a great watch dog. How happy they are when their family/flock are together.

#318 ·
There are so many but here's one I don't think has been mentioned.

Their sense and want of normal routine activities. My goodness, they are lovers of predictable daily routine. If you do different - they want to know why. Like if you are sick - Why is the food 15 minutes later than normal? Why are you sleeping later than usual? Why are you using the bathroom more than usual? They give you "that look" like I'm sorry but I need an explanation for this. YOU are not behaving normally and it concerns me.

I'm not saying that they don't handle surprises with ease, they just seem to really want and expect predictability in normal daily routines and get kinda bent if their owner deviates in any way.... Other breeds don't seem to scrutinize you as much as the GSD in the smallest of details of daily living.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.