German Shepherds Forum banner

Things you didn't know about GSDs

167K views 361 replies 250 participants last post by  Sebastian Murarescu 
#1 ·
Until you owned one... I'd love to know odd and some mainstream facts that people just did not know about GSDs until they own one.

I'll start - the whining! I was told when researching the breed that they are not big barkers and usually only bark when they feel its necessary. I can attest to that as my dog really only barks when there's someone at the door or when those **** delivery guys slip menus under the door :) whereas my neighbor's sheltie seems to just bark its head off out the window and seemingly nothing...

What I wasn't told is the whining :). not whining dogs who learned whining will get them what they want but whining as most GSDs do - being vocal, whining when excited, whining when I make funny noises, sometimes just whining out of nowhere (not including health issues that we do not know about that's causing them pain or something) - German shepherds are just big vocal dogs that love to "talk" ... I did not know that until owning one but once I did and asked other shepherds' owners they all pretty much said "oh yea that's a GSD for you" lol

so, what did you not know about until getting a shepherd?

#78 ·
Oh yes it was pure shock and amazement, allright. :eek::eek::eek: I literally almost poo'd myself. He had to run across a somewhat busy road to get to us. I chased both of them way back into the woods, away from the road and went to get my car. I drove the car back there, opened the door, called out and both the buggersnotts got in. Qualifies as my scariest experience with dogs.

Needless to say, if I'm not ready for him to be offleash when I'm outside or whatever the case is, I close the main storm door. Lesson learned!!!! :shocked:

#82 ·
I was also shocked about that deep pitched whine. I heard a loud one at the vets. It didn't sound upset but it was a whine. The vet said, "Now that is a true 100% German Shepard sound if I ever heard one". Then the vet stuck her fingers up my dogs butt. Yea, I'd whine too.

I didn't know there was a working line until I got one.

#85 ·
This thread is so enlightening...My dog does lots of weird stuff that I've never seen a puppy do, but obviously its a german shepherd trait. When we first got her and if you pulled her by the collar she cried, but now thinking about it, it was right after she got her shot. She also starts "talking" when she is in the crying mode...she sounds more like husky--very high pitched. She also carries her food,but I do give her credit because when she knocks it over she does clean up her mess. Now the water can get quite messy...I was quite embarassed when I went to a friends house and my dog put both her paws in the water bowl and continued to drink it making a mess everywhere...its funny when I think about it now.

#86 ·
Never understood the "look of eagles" until my first shepherd. They seem to have this intense, intelligent gaze from puppyhood on. Love it.
Also, both of my GSDs drop from standing to sprawled on the floor when they want to lay down; sounds like someone dropped bowling balls! Then there's the deep sigh and they fall asleep. Funny.
And -- the "talking". Never knew GSD's had such a large vocabulary!!

#90 ·
Also, both of my GSDs drop from standing to sprawled on the floor when they want to lay down; sounds like someone dropped bowling balls! Then there's the deep sigh and they fall asleep. Funny.
This...he just did this downstairs under the kitchen island...AND he stretches like a cat....first his front legs, thn his back legs, thn his body...thn back to sleep...

Oh yes...the velcro bit, sometimes i stop, turn around to change direction and he walks straight into me, nose to crotch =.= i've also tripped over him, walked sideways into him etc....and he usually just gives me this...what???? look...hehe

Still haven't heard him make any sounds outside of the occasional whine and one soft arrrrrwrr

#89 ·
Mine just did this two minutes ago, she was trying to eat the rabbits poop and I grabbed her by the collar and she cries like I'm killing her....big wimp:)

#91 ·
Ok, I love this thread! How about...

1) The foot fetish when they are in the land shark stage? Mine will gladly chomp at the feet with or without shoes on.

2) This may have just been my last GSD but the love of squeek toys. If my last shepherd would break his squeek toy he would look at me like he lost his best friend and sulk until I got him another one. He would have it with him at all times so long as he was in the house!

#92 ·
Another thing that I recently learnt was how they help you train your other animals!!! We rescued a kitten recently and are training him to stay of counters and the kitchen table. After a few times picking up the kitty of the counter and table and putting him back on the floor "saying no" Molly caught on right away! Now if the kitten jump up where he is not suppose to Molly will run up and start jumping and barking kinda like a "shutzund dog" until the kitten jumps off. I call Molly a tattle tell we could be anywhere in the house and we know when the cat is up to no good! Molly does a great job of making sure the kitten follows the rules of the house!!:)

Amazing intelligence!!!!

#94 · (Edited)
So I'm not alone in experiencing this? :rofl:

Both my dogs do this, but Nour more so than my female. Sometimes I have to check on him to make sure he's okay, because the "THUMP" was so loud! :rofl:

#97 ·
Did not know about the whinning! My first GSD never whinned but Hawkeye whines allllllll the time and it drives me nuts......

And when he lays down sounds like a bowling ball hit the floor especially at 2:00 am when he decides to move from the living room (carpet) to the bedroom or to his crate, wakes me up everytime.

#98 ·
My kids just put our GSD in the bathroom with them now when it is shower time because he will push the door open to get in with them and then the room gets cold fast. He just has to be in the room...when it is his bathtime he is not nearly as eager to get in the bathroom:) Ans if you go to use the bath room he thinks we have to throw the ball to him until we are done!!!!

#101 ·
How incredably stubborn they can be when they don't want to do what your asking them to do!!

#102 ·
One thing I didn't know.. I didn't know how dumb people can be with dogs. "SIT! SIT!" Um... she's not trained in english, just for this reason of you being a moron buddy. What kind of dog is she? A shepherd. And? What do you mean AND? Some people can't figure out genetics. I also didn't know people were soo afraid of my goofy looking dog..

About the dog? Didn't know I'd absolutely fall in love with her! Didn't expect her to be vocal, whiny, very smart, loyal, curious, and she came with such a great off switch.. Love her to bits :D. Those who aren't educated enough to own one, or don't like/want one are truly missing out.. I honestly don't think I'll ever own another breed unless I rescue it.

#105 ·
I just had my "aha" or "DUH!" moment a week ago. I'd always read that these were a herding breed and people talk about how their dogs were always herding the family around, but never really got it until recently. My female is always trying to stay 2 steps in front of me and guess my every move or direction before I make it. I'd always complain to the DH about her constantly being in my way. Then about a week ago it suddenly hit me that she was herding me!! Lol.

#109 ·
Also related to the velcro thing is the jealousy thing! Ollie gets really mad when I hug someone else, and starts barking and crying. My family shepherd does the same thing--when we were younger you could always tell when my sisters and I were up to no good with our dates because she'd start barking and whining. Best/worst chaperone ever lol

My family shepherd is also so vocal, and I always know just what she wants. If I stop petting her to talk to someone or do something, she'll paw at my hand and whine. It's like we're having a real conversation. She'll also nudge under my hands and put her head on my keyboard when she thinks I've had enough computer time. Love my dogs! :wub:

#110 ·
How darn vocal they are!! When Sheldon needs a time out, and I tell him down, he'll grumble the whole way down! He also yelps when we grab his collar, and lately has been growling when we go to take any of his collars off...

The velcro. Oh my lord, I can't even stand up without him at my side, wondering where I'm going! And when I invite him on the couch, he's curled up right next to me, trying to invade my space, even though we're on the big couch and he has the whole rest of the couch to lay on!!

And the shedding...*shudder*. I thought because they were a short hair dog, they wouldn't shed as much...and boy was I WRONG.

The stealing of things. He doesn't always chew on everything, but he likes to steal things off the coffee table and put it next to the back door. This is also where he puts all of his toys.

#111 ·
LOL let me just start out by saying this is one of the FUNNIEST things I have ever read! I literally read most of these posts out loud to my boyfriend and we just sat here laughing because we kept thinking of how it sounds like our GSD Ares. Some of these things we haven't experienced since he's only 7 months old exactly today :) but some of the things he does that I didn't think a GSD would do is:
1) hes a talker, and he loves to back talk especially to me, not so much to my boyfriend but he and I are constantly in a battle for who is dominate.
2) I swear he watches Cops (the t.v. show) too much while we are away because he likes to grab us (mainly me) and try to take us down by our arm like they do the "bad" guy on t.v.
3) his yawns are so silly and so loud.
4) the way he thinks our bed is his bed and how he takes up more than half the bed!....bed hog lol
5) how he walks through your legs while you are trying to walk, or you will walk into him because he cuts you off.
6) how he will eat anything and everything. he loves his veggies! he even eats garlic without anything masking the taste.
7) how much separation anxiety he gets if we leave him
8) sticking his head in the shower and after we are done showering he likes to go in and lick the water off the tub even though he has water in his bowl.
9. Our girl GSD she used to walk on the back of the couch lol we called her our couch walker. ive never seen a dog do that only cats. and this was when she was a good 60 lbs!
10) when we give him a sample of our food and he cries and cries and whines because he loves it and wants more and does this until we give him what he wants.

I love him though! hes a silly boy! I swear he smiles, and you guys are right I think they can tell how you feel, because when I'm in a not so happy mood hes more cuddly like get better momma its okay is still love you and then get a fat tongue across the face lol I love him :wub:

#114 ·
Thanks for letting me know. we only give him 1 clove every once in awhile (heard it was a natural dewormer{not that he has them but to make sure he doesnt get them}). but thanks for the advice we know better now not to give him any!

#113 ·
The vocal jealousy thing. We do puppy classes at our Humane Society. We have been taking turns walking around and petting the other dogs. The other dogs all just watch and wait for their turn to get petted. Effie cries like I just told her that I was going to leave her there after I was done petting all the other dogs.

#118 ·
With regard to garlic: I think that the type/form that you use is important. I have also heard that garlic periodically in its natural form is good for insect (tick/flee) control. Just what I heard, don't know if it is true.
Garlic: A Long List of Benefits

#119 ·
Besides all those things that you guys said like, whinning, water all over the place, goofiness I didn't know that they can switch modes from being "Big Dog" to "Gentle Dog".Nuka is 82 pounds , when she's running around the house she thinks she is chiwawa, almost tackle you down when she hits you, but when its coming to play with the kids she actually is changing her mode to be gentle and carrying.We don't have a kids but almost every week are small kids in our house.She will run with them around the house and slowing down when getting to close to them.What i notice too she is picking the smallest one(Chloe-2 year old) and guarding her.She will sit next to her and observe her how she plays and shaking her head like almost "yeah, yhm I've got you" :p
We spend few days with the kids on New Years, when Nuka had a blast with the kids, but it seems when She couldn't see Chloe , she would look for her even when other kids where calling: Nuka.Chloe will call her "Nana":p and give her a cracker, she would grab it gently and give a "kiss" in the chick for that.With me is she getting treat sometimes She forgeting to be gently, so I need to correct her.I've observed that and i was amazed.
And another thing.Nuka is a perfect alarm clock.7 am I don't even have to check the clock, I know it's 7 when I hear that whinning next to my bed.She doesn't even wants to go outside, she just want to wake you up cause she is up...

#120 ·
My young one likes to pull night crawlers "worms" from the ground and carry them around. something tells me I should start fishing again :laugh: and if your wondering....no he dont hurt them hes real gentle with them :shocked:

#121 ·
So many of these posts have me laughing out loud, as I can relate to most. I'll list a few, sorry if I repeat:

1-talking. Never, ever heard a dog as talkative as Jax. He talks when he wants to play, has to go out, is happy, is mad, wants petted, everything!

2-Learning curve. Once he learns something, he KNOWS it. Forever. We had to teach him how to play...it took him about six months to learn to fetch. Now at 19 months old, Dad says that's all he ever wants to do!

3-separation anxiety. If Mom and I take him to the self service dog wash, and I leave Mom with him while he's in the tub and walk away, he SCREAMS.

4- He thinks he's a person and gets to go anywhere in a car with us.

5- Houdini gene! My boyfriend and I had him blocked in the living room with baby gates when he was a puppy, about 4 months old. We fell asleep watching a movie and woke up to him whining. Got up and he was outside in the hallway...neither gate moved, too high for him to jump, no clue how he did it.

6- the bond. I loved my Lab that I grew up with. But with Jax, there's something special. I can't really explain it, we just 'get' each other. He's my boyfriend's and my dog...as he'll be living with us when I move in with my OH next year, but ask anyone who knows Jax and they'll tell you, I'm his person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.