German Shepherds Forum banner

Things you didn't know about GSDs

167K views 361 replies 250 participants last post by  Sebastian Murarescu 
#1 ·
Until you owned one... I'd love to know odd and some mainstream facts that people just did not know about GSDs until they own one.

I'll start - the whining! I was told when researching the breed that they are not big barkers and usually only bark when they feel its necessary. I can attest to that as my dog really only barks when there's someone at the door or when those **** delivery guys slip menus under the door :) whereas my neighbor's sheltie seems to just bark its head off out the window and seemingly nothing...

What I wasn't told is the whining :). not whining dogs who learned whining will get them what they want but whining as most GSDs do - being vocal, whining when excited, whining when I make funny noises, sometimes just whining out of nowhere (not including health issues that we do not know about that's causing them pain or something) - German shepherds are just big vocal dogs that love to "talk" ... I did not know that until owning one but once I did and asked other shepherds' owners they all pretty much said "oh yea that's a GSD for you" lol

so, what did you not know about until getting a shepherd?

#8 ·
What SHE ^^^ said. We thought we had a problem dog on our hands but she was just a normal GSD pup. Also didn't know how smart they are. Abby's a rocket scientist compared to previous dogs. And talkative ... my wife calls her our interactive dog. One thing the breeder said after listening to our complaining was, "I don't really like my GSDs until they are around a year old. Then they always prove that they were worth the trials they put me through."

#3 ·
I didn't realize how intelligent they were. Not only to learn tricks, but how fast they learn who is easiest to take advantage of, when to take advantage, etc.

My dad's dog never tested him. Its only thought was "food food food".

I swear when I teach Rocky something he thinks it over in his head...

"Hmmm...Should I do this? What will my reward be? Chicken...sounds good. But I'm going to sit as slow as possible and leave my butt one inch off the floor so that I'm not really sitting but I still get the treat. HAHAHA stupid human. I know mommy doesn't like to correct the petsmart people so I always get to cheat on my tricks."

OR

"I want to pull so bad to sniff that pile of poop. But mommy will get mad and I've been so good lately. OH WAIT! OH MY GOD! There is another human walking our way!! Mommy won't correct me loudly when another human comes because it embarrasses her. TIME TO RUN FOR THE POOP!"

#6 ·
Just how Velcro-like they can be. I knew they were watchful and followed their owners around but not being able to go to the bathroom alone ever again or sneeze without them jumping up out of a dead sleep looking for the threat to mom or dad... wow. lol.

Also the back-talking. I've never had a dog around that would back talk when told to sit or down or something.

#13 ·
1. That some have what I call the Houdini Gene, and that the Houdini Gene is hereditary. Jenna has it, so does Bear. Jenna has gotten out of her seatbelt several times this week, and Bear practices on the wire crate in her kennel, every day I shut it, and she opens it. Last night, she was INSIDE her crate in the house, and she managed to open that. Where or where are my snap-clips when I need them? Oh, they are all holding buckets on fencing, see below.

2. Some GSDs have what I call the Bucket Gene. A dog with the bucket gene, loves to take stainless steel buckets of any size and play with them, emptying out the contents, and whirling the bucket all over the place, sometimes hiding it in snow. Odie has the Bucket Gene. Bear has a variation of it, see below.

3. A variation of the bucket gene is the Bucket-W Gene. The symptoms of this gene are blowing bubbles in the water bowl or bucket, paddling the water out of the bucket, putting toys in water bucket, putting feet in water bucket, dunking the head in the water bucket for the sheer joy of spraying it all over. This is not to be confused with the Water Gene, see below.

4. I have yet to meet a GSD without the Water Gene. I am not sure if it is only shepherds that have it. Whether you give them a bowl, or a pail, or a pot, GSDs are the messiest of drinkers. Some like to suck up a trunk full of water and carry it with them, leaving it on the bed or on the floor. Some will do this with food too, if you feed them in the kitchen and then go to the living room, they will take a mouthful and go to where they can see you lay it down and eat it at their leisure. Others just suck up a mouthful of water, turn to look at you and dribble half of it on the floor.

Bear and Cujo both lie down to eat. I mean, that's cool for Cujo who eats in the toasty warm kitchen, but Bear Cub will lay herself down on a pile of snow to eat her food. GSDs have amazingly varied personalities.

Reactions: Mame
#14 ·
I agree about the "talking" or "whining". I remember my first GSD starting "talking" when she was a puppy and I was like WTH? LOL And when I got Uschi...she didn't really start talking until she was about 2'ish...but I love it! And its one of the qualities I like about the breed.

#168 ·
I agree about the "talking" or "whining". I remember my first GSD starting "talking" when she was a puppy and I was like WTH? LOL And when I got Uschi...she didn't really start talking until she was about 2'ish...but I love it! And its one of the qualities I like about the breed.
It took Jake a few days to find his ‘voice’. For the first few days home, he didn’t bark and would only whine occasionally.

After a few days of settling in, we started to learn that our cute little 8 week old puppy had quite the attitude J Even to this date at 9 months old, he talks back and gives attitude. After asking a 2nd or 3rd time he usually listens, so it doesn’t cause that much of an issue. We usually struggle to keep a straight face when he’s like this because all you want to do is laugh J

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how much they are a Velcro dog … When I’m home by myself with Jake he’s my shadow. As soon as my husband gets home, he has a shadow everywhere he goes. You cannot go anywhere in the house without Jake … if you do, man do you ever hear about it J

The other thing that surprised me is just how vocal they are. I’m not just talking about barking … I’m talking about whining! Anytime he can’t be where you are or can’t get what he wants he whines! We do our best to not encourage the behavior and he needs to be settled and quiet to get what he wants, but it doesn’t stop him from trying. He whines so much that one of our parrots has picked it up … so I’m sure he gets blamed for some whining that he’s not even doing.

#18 ·
I didn't know about how expressive their ears are. You can tell exactly what Sasha is thinking/feeling by watching her ears (especially in combination with other body language).

I didn't know how vocal they are. The constant talking has all been new to me. Also the being so vocal while playing really threw me.

I knew they were smart, but the degree in which they are smart just floored me. I taught Sasha to shake after like two or three times of grabbing her paw, saying "Shake" and giving her a treat. She did it fairly reliably after that and it only took a day or two before it was bomb proof.

They are also very in tune to their owners. I knew they were loyal and what not but I was like, "Well...all dogs are loyal." I mean our golden was loyal but he was necessarily in touch with my feelings. There again maybe he would be if he would have lived in doors. I don't know. Sasha seems to know exactly how I'm feeling at all times.

I also, rather naively, thought they were mean/aggressive. I actually didn't want one for that reason. I've since come to learn that that's not the case. Sasha has enough aggression in her, I believe, to protect me from a genuine threat. However, I don't feel like she's a loose cannon who's just a man-eating biting machine (granted I didn't think in those extreme of terms before, but my mom had had a GSD before I was born that I've grown up hearing stories about and he was VERY aggressive and it spooked me a bit) . She has this incredibly goofy, lovey, side to her that way over shadows her "I'm a big, scary GSD" side. What I discovered about myself was that I actually like her "scary" side. I thought I really wanted a dog that just loved everyone and I never had to worry about being aggressive, and now that I have her I like the security that her aloofness provides.

I also didn't realize how one person dog they really are. Sasha loves many people that I am close with, but she loves me most. I mean the girl chose me over what she always acts like is the love of her life (cheese). lol. My mom says when I leave she waits by the window for me to come back. She may sleep for a bit, but she's mostly interested when I come back. She wants to be with me. My golden was pretty cool with being with any of us. Sasha loves her grammy and her uncle but she loves her momma best.

#116 ·
So true! The vet always comments on how big of a baby Rivers is. He looks so tough on the outside, but the tiniest thing happens and he makes you feel like its the end of the world. Talk about a guilt trip.

#25 ·
Haha they're all so cute and sweet and the smart trait oh yes
I brought him home and read about a bell on the door for potty training.
I found a bell and tied it on but he was so small and i thought he cant even reach it (this is my first pup)
So i said ok forget it dont even bother.
He is growing like a weeeed and I noticed a couple months ago that he taught HIMSELF to use it to go out! I was amazed. I had never showed him or anything.

#26 ·
haven't read thru all of these, but
"you will never have a private moment in the bathroom again" :)

#28 ·
How quickly he taught our other dogs (older than him and non gsd's) that he was in charge. Almost funny to see them hold back from toys bones and sleeping mats when he's around. I watch them look at the toys and then see him coming and are like nevermind, im not going through the wrestling match for that rawhide.

#29 ·
You know that is true!
My gparents had a black lab cross gshep and everytime my late gshep would come over he would prevent their dog from coming up onto the deck and drink from his own water bowl or even come near the steps. The poor dog couldnt do anything on his own turf when my shane was around. It was crazy to see

#30 ·
Although off topic...why would you let your dog guard everything like that?
Here at our home, they guard it, they lose it.
Allowing unlimited resource guarding is a set up for a big fight.

#31 ·
Not sure if that was meant for me but
I was alot younger then and just noticed everytime
It's not a good thing certainly
I am just surprised that he would come on to another property and behave as though it was his
My dad didn't correct him obviously or not that I recall

#33 ·
Although off topic...why would you let your dog guard everything like that?
Here at our home, they guard it, they lose it.
Allowing unlimited resource guarding is a set up for a big fight.
We don't allow him but he is persistent. He's almost 7months and were working on correcting this. BTW this thread is 'things you didn't know about gsd's' and that's something that surprised me with him that i haven't experienced with other breeds Ive owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.