Things you didn't know about GSDs - Page 20 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #191 (permalink)

I was also surprised by all the vocalizing...Hector is constantly grumbling and groaning and whining.

I never realized how smart and energetic they are. Hector constantly amazes me with how much he thinks and what he can figure out. My other breed, ACDs, are known for their intelligence but often I think Hector is the smartest dog I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't think that they all hate cats. They have a strong prey drive and might like to chase cats. I have five cats and my GSD loves them and they love her. I've been looking at GSD's in rescues and most of them are fine with cats too. I want another one down the road, but it has to be good with cats...there is no other option.
Yeah, Hector will chase cats if they run but he knows not to hurt them and he's just fine. It's the prey drive, but I've found it pretty easy to teach Hector that they're off limits when it comes to rough play or biting. I've known plenty of other Shepherds who lived with cats so I think it's hardly a universal trait.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master Member

How quirky they can be

Huxley has so many funny little habits. From his morning stockpile of filched items, to his very serious "discussions" with me in which he places a paw on my chest and looks deeply into my eyes as he "tells" me what he thinks I need to know, to his obsession with water play ( example- if we forget to put the toilet seat down he dunks his stuffies). He is just funny to live with.

Oh, and he has discriminating taste in foods. The other night I had leftover brussel sprouts so when I released the dogs from their bed to come hang by the dinner table I tossed one to my lab who snarfed it down and one to Huxley who caught it and his facial expressions were priceless (note- how expressive a face GSD's have is another surprise) he went from "Oh for me?" to "What the heck?" to "She eats this? I am seriously worried about my human" before he laid down and spit it out. Mind you, he ATE it because he saw Abby the Labby had designs on it. But he did not enjoy it.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #193 (permalink)

I did not know my 100lb GSD would frantically chase a laser pointer like a cat! He is so powerful when he pounces on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Mr. Aero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #194 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG GrammaD - he dunks his stuffies in the toilet ... I LOVE IT!!!! To funny ...

Mr. Aero - laser pointers are NOT good for dogs - creates obsession - here's a link for you ... A Question Regarding Shadows, Flashlights, Laser Pointers
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
OMG GrammaD - he dunks his stuffies in the toilet ... I LOVE IT!!!! To funny ...
[/URL]
Oh yes, very funny, until he walks through a room shaking a toy and slinging toilet water all over
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #196 (permalink)

I've been amazed at how much variation there is between dogs of the same family. My last dog was calm, laid back, never barked whined or talked. As long as there was an AC vent around blowing cold air, she'd lay on it and soak up all the cold and never say a word. Her younger sister that I have now, this girl here thinks everybody needs to be up at oh six hundred right along with her, and will yell and whine until somebody gets up and plays with her.
RidgeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #197 (permalink)
Elite Member

I didn't realize just how much of a Diva females can be.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #198 (permalink)
Elite Member

I didn't know they came in colors other than black and tan until I started looking.

I also didn't know how vocal they are!

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #199 (permalink)

I didn't know that mother dogs would actually eat their puppies! grossest thing ever.
i loved my dog too hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #200 (permalink)

How smart they are...

Several years ago, I had bought a tray of 12 blueberry muffins and had it sitting on a counter, way back where (theoretically) she couldn't reach it. I came back into the room a hour later, and the pack was carefully opened and one — not all, not 5 — one muffin was gone and the tray was slightly off angle, maybe 5 degrees. I didn't even realize it was my GSD until I noticed the couple of crumbs next to the tray and on the floor.
PXDesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.