Shipping puppy vs picking up in person - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Shipping puppy vs picking up in person

A recent thread got me thinking how everyone feels on the subject of having a puppy shipped. This can be from anyones perspective... breeder, buyer, whatever.

Since we have a lot of breeders on here, as a breeder, are you comfortable shipping puppies if a potential buyer lived across the country or in another country? Would you prefer the buyer drives 10-20 hours to pick the puppy up vs having the puppy flown to it's new home to cut down on travel time? Are you comfortable selling puppies without meeting the buyer in person?

As a buyer, are you comfortable not meeting the breeder and their dogs in person and having the puppy shipped? Would you trust based on research you've done or "word of mouth" or would you have to go see the dogs in person before committing to a puppy?

Basically, how does everyone feel on the subject?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've always picked my puppies in person. I'm not sure I could completely go word of mouth and reputation, but I'm kind of a control freak. I'd want to see the facility, the parents, and then ultimately have the ability to make a final decision on the puppy, even if it was breeder selected for me.

Of course I know people who have shipped their pups from overseas and been perfectly happy. So I think it goes down to personal preference.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't recall getting a puppy when I haven't met the breeder or some of his/her dogs ... but I have gotten puppies from these breeders sight unseen. I've gotten a couple older dogs where I didn't know the breeder personally but knew something about their dogs and knew people who knew them and felt perfectly comfortably with this arrangement.

I've had puppies shipped and I've picked them up. Shipping is easier on me, but I personally prefer to pick them up whenever possible.

Last edited by arycrest; 10-10-2011 at 10:12 PM.
arycrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the past 15-20 years my husband and I have bought more dogs than I could count right now (some for us, some for police depts we were working with and some for clients). We have probably bought a dozen from Europe (sight unseen) and another dozen or so in the states. We have been very pleased with all but 2 or 3 of the dogs. When possible I will try to buy where we can go see the parents and the pups. I will say though, that my husband has been active in Schutzhund since the early 80's so has a really long list of people he can call and ask about dogs or breedings we are interested in.
When I was breeding Beaucerons, I would ship more puppies than ever got picked up here. It's just that way with rare breeds. Of all the pups I ever sold to people sight unseen, I only ever had one family I regretted selling the pup to. But I did get the dog back so all was well. Sometimes no matter how many questions you ask, you just can't always be right.
I tend to be very trusting of people in general and luckily it usually works out. I also do my research though, so I'm not just blindly taking everyone's word for it. I think that time spent researching and a bit of faith in human kind has always worked for me.

Annette

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My puppy was shipped to me, and honestly I wish I could have made the 9-10 hour drive to pick him up. A situation that was beyond mine or the breeder's control occurred and resulted in my boy being "kenneled" somewhere (I had no idea where) over night without my knowledge or permission. I have no idea what he ate, who cleaned his kennel, who took care of him or how safe he was. I don't know if he was cold, hungry and scared... I will think twice about having a pup shipped to me next time, even though I am pretty dead set on going to Hunter's breeder for my next pup in 4-5 years.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had my pup shipped and honestly I'd do it again. It took her longer then I thought to get to me (expected 2 hours like a regular persons flight) but she got to me without any issue at all got off the plane snatched a hot dog out of my husbands hand and acted like she knew us her entire life and just waiting for us. She came to my job completely bold and ready to take on the world met new people went on new surfaces investigated the repair shop etc.. I definitely saw no signs what so ever that traveling took its toll on her other then she had been a number of hours without eating and she was ready to tear a finger off to eat (of course she is still that way hahaha)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's my thread, so I guess I'll give my opinion on the subject.

I think a puppy with solid nerves should be able to handle a cross country airplane ride no problem. Obviously, I'd want the best possible travel conditions in terms of temperature (climate controlled cabin) and an airlines with experience shipping dogs/puppies. Actually, I'd think a 3 or 4 hour plane ride would be less stressful than a 20 hour drive for a puppy.

With that said, personally, I'd be open to having a puppy shipped. If the breeder was comfortable with it and had a good history of shipping their puppies than I'd be for it. Just like Annette mentioned, I'm a pretty trusting person. Solid pedigrees and a breeders proven history means more to me than a one on one meeting even though both are important.

The problem I see with eliminating the shipping option is that it eliminates potential breeders. If I was very fond of a breeder in California when I'm in Connecticut, but was unable to do that drive, should this breeder be eliminated from possible options just because of location? Should I have to settle for a breeder who isn't as good, but is closer and more convenient? I don't think so.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wild Wolf , if your dog was shipped and something outside of anyone's control such as flight delays and not making a connection, later arriving when customs (if international) was closed , then the dog would have been kenneled at a licenced approved local kennel , or vets that they have a contract with.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
If I was very fond of a breeder in California when I'm in Connecticut, but was unable to do that drive, should this breeder be eliminated from possible options just because of location? Should I have to settle for a breeder who isn't as good, but is closer and more convenient? I don't think so.
Ha! I'm the opposite - I'm in California but we had Halo shipped from Connecticut!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Wild Wolf , if your dog was shipped and something outside of anyone's control such as flight delays and not making a connection, later arriving when customs (if international) was closed , then the dog would have been kenneled at a licenced approved local kennel , or vets that they have a contract with.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Carmen... how do you feel on the subject? Do you typically ship to customers around the country? Do you even sell puppies as pets or do they all go on to some kind of working field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Ha! I'm the opposite - I'm in California but we had Halo shipped from Connecticut!
Of course she did... all the best things come from CT!

How did she do on the plane? Was she ok when she arrived? Did you meet the breeder before having her shipped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.