Shipping puppy vs picking up in person - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't mind having my pup shipped, so long as the flight is not going to be long (Anything more than a few hours and I am going to get them). This may change when I get more into the breeding side (for now just training, trialing and learning). But I am definitely more comfortable shipping older dogs on long flights than puppies.

My Leonberger came shipped because it was during the winter and the roads out of the Yukon were closed, so I didn't have a choice, unless I wanted to wait another 4 weeks, which may/may not have worked for the breeder(I never actually asked). For my Shepherds, the flight would have been 12 hours with 2 stop overs, so 17 hours total - so I decided against it.

I packed up my truck and a couple friends to share the driving and we drove 12 hours (one way!) to pick her up. Slept for 5 hours, and turned around and came back. It was nice because I did get to meet the breeders and see their kennels.

We ended up getting along very well and now my training partners and I make 2-4 trips a year over to train and trial with them!

In September we went to train for 5 days, to work on protection and they had a few pups available. So Gladiator came home!

I really like driving with the dogs and it is a really good bonding experience, IMO. I also have great pictures and we always have the most hilarious stories to tell at the end!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #52 (permalink)

Fenrir was shipped to us; 2 1/5 hours on a plane instead of a 20 hour drive one way- it wasn't hard to decide!

She was bright and sassy when she arrived!
Here is a picture after her flight and the 40min drive home from the airport.
Rahrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #53 (permalink)

General consensus seems pretty 50-50. I'll be getting my pup in December but I would prefer to go & pick him up myself from the breeder (3 hr plane ride from my place)! I've read that it's important one spends some time with the pup before making a decision & since he's going to be my 1st pet ever, I'd much rather feel d joy of picking him up myself!
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For me...there are a lot of good breeders within 3 hours driving that I would see no point in shipping a dog. I don't know enough about pedigrees...I'm always just going to look for a good tempered working dog and never for an exact breeding of two dogs. So for me I'd always drive to pick up a puppy. Plus...in the states, a 2 hour plane trip is like a 6 hour ordeal at the airport so its just not worth it.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
No kidding. I would need a broker to have the new bitch shipped to Syracuse. They said they could either ship her to NYC or Boston. Hopefully a friend of mine gets some space on her flight. She's going to Washington, where I arrived last year, and I could pick her up from there. It would all in all be cheaper to go that route instead of using Gradlyn.

Ship into Toronto.....you can pick her up your self and not use a broker.....have had 2 shipped there - more due to weather - and LOTS cheaper than flying into Pittsburgh via Newark as well....friends in Buffalo go and get them at the airport and then we meet up - LOL of course, they decided they wanted to raise the last import for me and she is still there!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master Member

I have found Pet Air to be cheaper than Gradlyn. Just in case you haven't checked.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #57 (permalink)

We shipped all over the US and to Puerto Rico even with never a problem and plenty of happy parents even return customers at that.
The airlines couldn’t have been more professional or friendlier. Before the Hurricane took everything out we were in the middle of making arrangements of having a male shipped to us from the Czech Republic.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would do it, if I could not go and get the puppy myself, although I would prefer to pick them up myself if it is an option. I have gotten two pets from a distance, Bianca was from up in Michigan but her previous owner worked for an airline and she was able to fly with Bianca to meet me in Milwaukee for me to adopt her, and Bianca actually ended up being allowed to ride in the cabin with her-- she had a crate and everything ready but the pilot (it was a small plane) told her she could bring her in the cabin instead.
The other one was Roxy the Maine Coon who was from a breeder in Indiana, we met them halfway to pick her up, although they do ship kittens but I felt better doing it that way.

I have wondered if you can fly WITH a puppy? Would a GSD puppy be small enough to ride under the seat in an airplane?

I have been trying to look for breeders that I could visit personally but it depends on what breed of dog I end up getting for my next dog, some breeds there are not many breeders in the states.

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 11-29-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #59 (permalink)

I dont mind shipping my puppy...taking it from known or shipping are both the same things...just you need to know the dog is healthy..if it is go for it from wherever it comes..
Christiansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #60 (permalink)

Two of ours were shipped and neither of them were worse for the wear when we picked them up. I would definitely do it again.
Argus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.