Would you breed YOUR dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Default Would you breed YOUR dog?

For the sake of this discussion, include all your dogs, and assume your speutered pet is intact if any are fixed.

Would you breed him/her? Why? Why not? Explain yourself.
There are no right/wrong answers for the sake of this discussion, so NO BASHING! Please make sure if you disagree with a person that you do it respectfully, and allow others to share their thoughts and views without feeling attacked. At the same time, questions and scenarios designed to bring new thoughts about breeding decisions made or not made to the forefront are welcome.

I know this is a very sensitive topic, so I expect all members to moderate themselves accordingly.

So, would you breed your dog? Have you?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH

Last edited by Castlemaid; 06-01-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: clarified initial question
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no interest in breeding my dogs, assuming I had dogs who were breed-worthy.

Actually the only reason I even have Bianca is because she is spayed. She was supposed to be a breeding female, she was bought by her previous home as a Schutzhund/breeding prospect, was health-tested and had a good pedigree and so on. When she was to be bred, instead she got pyometra and had to be spayed. If not for that she would never have been available to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

I wouldn't breed ANY of my dogs. Dixie and Jasper because they're not purebred anythings... Jasper is a lab/chow mix and Dixie is a GSD/Aussie/something or other mix. Also, Jasper has some aggression issues that I would be afraid would be passed on to his pups.

And I wouldn't breed Tippsy even though she's a purebred chow and has an AMAZING temperament. She has some faults from the breed standard and all she could really provide for "betterment of the breed" is, as I said, her temperament.

Plus, I don't see myself qualified enough to breed dogs.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I personally wouldn't want to be a breeder so no I wouldn't breed any of my females..

However, I honestly wish I'd left Dodge intact longer, and would have considered using him once on a really nice female (if we could have come to an agreement of course). I would have kept atleast two of them)

But no, I just don't have any desire to go thru all that breeders go thru, when it's easier for me to go buy one

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

No I would not breed my dogs. Tanner came from a shelter, has an unknown passed so who knows what he would pass on to his offspring and has aggression issues with little dogs and has some faults. Molly is from a BYB/oops is skittish, and I know very little about her background(we have no pedigree) so who knows what she would pass on, plus her tail curls, so thats a fault. Neither are breeding quality and should not be bred.

Sure they would make cute pups, but that is NOT a reason to breed ANY dog. I volunteer at an animal shelter and would hate to see any of my dog's offspring end up their. Breeding dogs is no easy job.It takes time, dedication, and hard work.It takes alot to be a good breed. Breeding is not my cup of tea. I applaud the responsible and reputable breeders who do such a wonderful at breeding and know what they are doing to create amazing, healthy, and stable dogs.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No I would not breed my dog.

I love him. He is a great dog but not a great GSD.

Even if he had great GSD temperament, conformation, titles, and a pedigree to back it up I don't know enough about lines, genetics, etc.. to produce good dogs. I would not be open to using him as a stud since I would have no control over how the puppies he produced were raised and placed.

Sage 6-5-09
Facebook
sagelfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Veda my white shepherd? NOOOOOOOOOO WAYYYYY JOSE!!!!!! Dog has far to many problems. Thyroid issues, arthritis in her elbows at only 2 and 1/2 years old when she was x rayed for limping. Had very irregular heat cycles. Has Allergies. Not to mention her conformation is cruddy.

Loki my Silver Sable?no. Although he is healthier than Veda. I feel he has nothing to offer to the gene pool. He has minor allergies. minor health issues although they are physical and I am not sure if they are genetic or not. He has a good temperament but there are still things in it that while I feel are not super bad, its not that great. He doesn't have a pedigree to match either. His conformation is ok but not that great. He has little things about him that added up make me say no.

Nina my pitbull- just for fun. If she was intact and I had a pedigree on her, I would highly contemplate breeding her.
why? The dog has a phenomenal temperament. She can eat anything and crap a brick. No allergies, no health issues, no physical problems, has a rock solid temperament. If it was truly a possibility (aka she was in tact) I would do much more research to understand the breed better. I personally think she has all of the upsides of being a pitbull and none of the downsides. She is a heck of a dog with a lot to offer.

Havoc my Black and red- maybe. If he passes health testing, earns titles, and matures into a nice dog who achieves good show ratings then yes he might be bred. If not, just a pet. He has phenomenal pigment, a very solid temperament. Good conformation. A good pedigree. great drives with good working ability. I think he has something to offer to the gene pool. But time will tell.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Skylar is the most gorgeous, well behaved, easily trained dog ever, she's the sweetest German Shepherd and my baby and heart dog. I have her papers, both of her parents are well behaved and titled.

No, I wouldn't breed her! There's too many things that could happen to her or the puppies, I'll leave breeding to the reputable breeders
Also, she's already been spayed.
King&Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Nellie is so smart and she is just amazing. But she also has EPI. Would never breed her but I would've loved to have more dogs like her lined up to raise for the rest of my life...

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
GSD MOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

nope. Riley is mixed and as good a boy as he is most of the time, he's got some reactivity issues we havent been able to get past with him and Shasta, all i know is from when i met her parents. I dont think she's breed worthy. Zena no simply because of her hips. Shelby would have been a good breeder if i wanted to add more pathetically tempered fearful GSDs out in the world. Lookwise, Shelby was gorgeous and fit pretty well. Temperment heck no.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.