Would you breed YOUR dog? - Page 37 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #361 (permalink)

No I would not breed my GSD, I will leave that up to the folks who have the experience, if that's what they choose to do. There are more than enough unwanted pups in this world and the thought of not being able to provide enough good homes for my puppies would weigh heavy on my mind.

I would love to experience Tess bringing new puppies in to this world, but then again, the thought of 10 or even 12 little land sharks running around my house is one scary thought......thinking of Tess when she was 8 weeks old and then having maybe 12 of her.....
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #362 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
The only good reason to breed a GSD is to at least make an honest attempt to better the breed!

If the only reason that your breeder breeds GSD's is to "make a living" - do you see much of a difference (if any) between him and the places that suppy pet stores??? I don't! Or maybe a BYB on a commercial scale?
I disagree with this. I think way too many people go about trying to better the breed, and the results are ski-slopes, and roach-backs, and over-sized dogs, and no off-switch, and dogs that can't function as family pets, and dogs that are afraid of storms and fireworks, and the list goes on and on. Yes, some of that comes from shoddy breeding practices, and some comes from breeding for one quality with less regards to the rest of the dog.

I think that we should breed to preserve the breed. We should try to breed the best representative to the standard that we can. This is not an improvement on the breed, but a preservation of the breed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #363 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I disagree with this. I think way too many people go about trying to better the breed, and the results are ski-slopes, and roach-backs, and over-sized dogs, and no off-switch, and dogs that can't function as family pets, and dogs that are afraid of storms and fireworks, and the list goes on and on. Yes, some of that comes from shoddy breeding practices, and some comes from breeding for one quality with less regards to the rest of the dog. (BTW - THIS is NOT an example of breeding to "Better the Breed!")

I think that we should breed to preserve the breed. We should try to breed the best representative to the standard that we can. This is not an improvement on the breed, but a preservation of the breed.

Exactly what I said! Unless you think that the breed is perfect now, (you don't i am assuming!) then why shouldn't every breeding be done with this intent?

The faults that you mention above (and there are a lot of them) DO NOT result from trying to better the breed; but from either ignoring this recommendation or from simply not doing it correctly (i.e. mistakes! in the breeding).

Try not to confuse the goal/objective with the common mistakes in it's application. Very common to do so, however!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #364 (permalink)

I'd breed bubbles if I could keep all the puppies. I decided a litter of puppies just for me is better to dream about than the reality of it.

Bubbles is spayed BTW.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #365 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieRamirez View Post
i would never breed my dog as i dont want to play with the lifespan of my doggie. breeding them really costs their life and reduces their immune power
I never heard this theory before except when there's a problem, could you please give more details? Are you speaking of bitches or both bitches and dogs?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #366 (permalink)

maybe a house full of puppies.... awww .
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #367 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I never heard this theory before except when there's a problem, could you please give more details? Are you speaking of bitches or both bitches and dogs?
Carrie only signed up to start spamming with a link in her signature, so all her posts are nonsense generalities with stuff that sounds made up. Her posts have been deleted and she is banned.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #368 (permalink)

Our new/only girl Abigail, no, too much work pretending she had breeding prospect. We have no intentions of spaying but either way we're not interested. We did our old gal, but she had all the works done and a solid dog. We had two litters and while we had homes all covered before whelping, it's a lot of work and responsibility. We were constant hands on with each pup as a litter and individually, which resulted in great pups socialized with family atmosphere, but I fell in love with them all.
Our other girl we had gotten a few years after losing our old gal, not a chance. She was mental. Total medicated dog for stress and anxiety which unless you seen her off her meds, you'd still think she's nuts. We made the hard decision of rehoming her to a home we screened that we felt would be more relaxing (we have small children which she was great with, but the the constant chaos was hard on her.) She is doing amazing there now, so long as they don't bring her into large crowds or leave her for long periods. They've had her for about two years now. She would have done the breed an injustice to breed.
Jordan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #369 (permalink)

I'd not breed either of my dogs. I don't know Sam's history since he's from the shelter, so that's one strike against him. He also tends towards anxiety. Kaylee is beautiful, smart, friendly,and fun, but her nerves aren't solid enough. It takes her a while to recover from frights.

Plus I don't think I would have the patience for a house full of puppies.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #370 (permalink)

No, probably not (not that I could anyway, he's neutered). Ralphie's a resuce so I have no idea what's in his genetic or behavioral history. He's a very timid guy, too. Though, if breeding solely for looks was appropriate, then yes, of course because he's one handsome man! A friend of mine who has a spayed female GSD & Ralphie would produce some interestingly colored beauties!
katro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.