Would you breed YOUR dog? - Page 35 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #341 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
For the sake of this discussion, include all your dogs, and assume your speutered pet is intact if any are fixed.

Would you breed him/her? Why? Why not? Explain yourself.
There are no right/wrong answers for the sake of this discussion, so NO BASHING! Please make sure if you disagree with a person that you do it respectfully, and allow others to share their thoughts and views without feeling attacked. At the same time, questions and scenarios designed to bring new thoughts about breeding decisions made or not made to the forefront are welcome.

I know this is a very sensitive topic, so I expect all members to moderate themselves accordingly.

So, would you breed your dog? Have you?
None of my dogs (despite most being purebred) are remotely breedworthy, especially Ruger, although he's got a phenomenal personality/temperament. His elbows are shot so I'd avoid that anyway. The Dachshund aren't spectacular in any way, and the prettiest ones are double-dapples, bad combo.

But Libby. Yes. If I could find a male like her, I'd do it. She's one of those "naturally good" dogs that needed little to no training to be "good".
There'd be a market for puppies like her, as well, as pets or working dogs.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #342 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I were interested in breeding, I would consider Casja based on her solid temperament and overall health. I know her former owner had all of his dogs' hips scored even though he didn't plan to breed. I would have to consider other things if I were a breeder but Casja would be at the top of my list. She is the only dog that I've had here that I would consider sound enough to even think about breeding,and I've had a lot of dogs here.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 01-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #343 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, that's why I'd breed Libby, she's got excellent health, no issues, allergies, hips and joints are fine, and temperament and beauty to boot.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #344 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig

Over that last 25 years I have raised, trained, trialed, judged, and (occasionally) bred Labrador Retrievers. In ~5 weeks I'll be getting my first GSD in over 25 years. At this point, I can't say whether I will breed her or not - she's only 3 weeks old, which is far too early to give an answer either way.

IF I do decide to breed her, it will only be after she meets all the normal health clearances as well as earns titles which indicate she is a credit to her breed (titles in both confirmation as well as temperament/performance).
TxFig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #345 (permalink)

I'd love to let Charlie have babies. He has an amazing temperament, is a stunning looking dog and so far he seems healthy (don't know his elbow,hip scores yet though). But with so many dogs/puppies in need of rescue it's something i couldn't do.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #346 (permalink)

No - I will not breed Quark. She turns one on 3-9-2013 and I'll probably get her fixed after she turns two.
autoluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #347 (permalink)
Elite Member

No I will not breed my GSD, Penny. Not only does she not have papers, but the main fact is it is heartbreaking to me to see so many dogs, not just GSD's that are sitting in shelters without a home. I also would not put her in harms way by letting her breed.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #348 (permalink)

We want to breed out GSD Ariah, i want her to experience what having babies is like before getting Spayed. And we will only let people we know have her puppies as we want to make sure they are going to good homes.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #349 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanahughes120311 View Post
We want to breed out GSD Ariah, i want her to experience what having babies is like before getting Spayed.
Why do you think it would be important for her to experience what it's like to have babies?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #350 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanahughes120311 View Post
We want to breed out GSD Ariah, i want her to experience what having babies is like before getting Spayed. And we will only let people we know have her puppies as we want to make sure they are going to good homes.

GREAT reason to bring more GSD puppies into the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.