Would you breed YOUR dog? - Page 33 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #321 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes. Both Jäger and Katya are what I consider excellent for the breed. They are both proven by impartial 3rd parties to be of solid temperament and working ability. They are both titled. They both have been xray'ed and checked for other health issues.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #322 (permalink)
Knighted Member

kyra should have been bred, but instead she ended up with me, just a pet owner who always has his pets "fixed". she was never titled, but excelled in everything, the breeder was actually upset when he saw her two years later and wished he had kept her. all her siblings went on to become k9 police dogs.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #323 (permalink)
Master Member

Rebel-10 years: if he were younger and intact, yes, I would breed. Temperament and conformation, as well as his drive, yes, if the conditions were right I would.

Guinness-11 years: Again if he were younger and intact, we would breed. His bird hunting skills are fabulous and he's been incredibly healthy and has a good temperament. If we had had him tested at field trials, I'm sure he'd have done well--but we wouldn't breed without that.

Tank-12 years: No, I wouldn't have bred Tank. The breeder sold him to me as "pet quality" because his line proportions were a bit off. He was predicted as a pup to be too tall (which he is taller than breed standard) and too long of a line in his back to conform to breed standard. Temperament wise though he'd have passed along a great line. I've had way too many vets and vet techs tell me that he's been unique in their view of Corgis in that he's not snappy and is very laid back. I hope that Shadowwalk (the kennel owners) continue to breed that temperament.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #324 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
Well assuming since spay/neutered dogs can pretend they are intact and such. I'll pretend my has papers. I absolutely would. He's gorgeous, healthy and has a pretty good temperment. I think it would be enjoyable to breed a dog. Creating life..making families whole with a fuzzy member. Why not?
Because taking care of puppies for 8+ weeks is hard work. Because find the right home for each pup is hard work. Because it is scary to have something happen to your female in the middle of the night.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #325 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Because taking care of puppies for 8+ weeks is hard work. Because find the right home for each pup is hard work. Because it is scary to have something happen to your female in the middle of the night.
I'm aware of all of that. Thanks for your concern. I'm not actually going to breed my dog. This was a hypothetical question, so I gave my hypothetical answer. I'm not ignorant to the fact that its not a walk in the park.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #326 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would not breed Zisso due to his weak temperament; He is scared of pratically everything. Also because he had one retained testicle at 16 months old and last but not least he is a very extra sensitive digestive system. Great guy when it comes to being a pet, but enough faults to not be breed worthy.

I would not breed Nadia because while she is a great girl, devoted, solid digestive system, etc, she is a nipper and is easily spooked by items like tools-as simple as a tape measure. This 'may' have much to do with her upbringing as I got her at 16 months old, but I have not been able to undo whatever was done to her and simply manage her bahavior.

Even if they were both breed worthy, I don't think I would want to breed. I might enjoy puppies like everyone else, but feel it is best to leave breeding to the professionals

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #327 (permalink)

I'm sure I answered this earlier but I'll answer again as circumstances change and I can now give a definite answer

Nikon has an AI lined up for February and possibly two other litters lined up for 2013 (I'll be keeping back a puppy so I can observe how he produces) so I'll just comment based on my experience, this being the first time I'm involved in breeding anything (I don't come from a background or dogs or horses or livestock). I'll say that it is a lot of work, even owning just the male half of the breeding! (So I don't have to deal with the heat cycles, progesterone testing, whelping the litter, placing the puppies...) For one thing, I've spent the better part of four years raising, socializing, training, showing, certifying, titling my dog (and will continue to do so, since that is why I own him, not just to get a breed survey and breed the heck out of him). I drive 2.5 hrs each way just for regular SchH training (and any events hosted by our club) and I usually travel once a month for a flyball tournament or some other event my dogs participate in. Honestly he would have to sire dozens of litters to ever "get back" in stud fees what I put into him and that's just the money aspect, not the time and energy and emotional aspect of owning a dog that is my partner, my protector, and my best friend. It is not cheap or easy to do right. For example last night I had to get my dog into the vet to see if he is even "collectible" for AI (some dogs don't want to be handled, some won't "perform" without a real bitch) and check to see if he has viable sperm. So that was an extra trip out to the vet and $$$. Then I realized that if you do AI you have to do DNA with AKC so I just ordered the DNA kit and spent more $$$. Between every natural breeding I need to do a brucellosis test. Also the DM testing is becoming more popular so I'm planning on doing that (next paycheck!). For AI I have to be able to rush my dog off to the repro vet at a moment's notice and have that all lined up ahead of time. For normal breeding I have to be able to accomodate the bitch for several days. None of this you can schedule ahead of time because it depends on the bitch's cycle, when she is ready then you have to meet or rush your dog to the vet. We haven't even done ONE breeding yet and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 12-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #328 (permalink)

No, she has great temperament, a great personality, great coloring, but soft soft ears and an overbite
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #329 (permalink)

We actually considered breeding Kaylee, but decided not to for several reasons. We like to keep a close watch on our dogs health and regular check ups to make sure they are healthy. Kaylee is a normal working line dog and healthy. What made us not want to breed her is issue one. We would have to find the right male which is not easy.

The second concern was when the pups are born and they find homes are these people going to have what it takes to handle dogs like Kaylee? So many good young GSDs end up in a rescue because people could not handle them.

Last if we did breed any dogs we would actually put up a kennel for them and add on to the house with an extra room just for the dogs and pups to be indoors in a safe puppy proof area. So we decided to get her fixed and not breed her.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #330 (permalink)

No. I would never breed Ben. I would want to keep all the pups, and my wife would throw me out. And I do not have the knowledge or time required to better the breed
Jack9211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.