Would you breed YOUR dog? - Page 32 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #311 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just kind of fell on this thread. Very interesting discussion here re: HD. I have reas many of these links already but not the Dr. Wakeman link. I need to read that. Thanks for posting it.

As for the original ? Would I breed my dogs? NO.

Kayos has bilateral HD. Yes she was fed and exercised appropriately as pup. She is almost 10 now and we had one hip replaced almost 5 years ago.

Havoc is oversize by 1 inch and has had allergies since puppyhood. Love his drive, work ethic and socialbility tho.

Lydi, still a pup but timid.

None are breed worthy.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #312 (permalink)

I would not breed my dog.. She has excellent tempement, beautiful coloring, but has soft ears. She is 7 1/2 months and I have had ear forms glued in for the last month and a half. When the forms fall out, usually weekly, they flop again. I am no longer getting any advise from my breeder, have not heard from him in weeks even after contacting him for any further suggestions. While I have an ear clause in the contract, I would not return her in a million years.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #313 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No.
I figure that if Hans's breeder had needed him, she would have said so. She breeds working dogs and most go to police or other agencies, so I think Hans is not what she is looking for as far as continuing and bettering her lines.

Which was very lucky for me, because he made a great family pet dog and I was able to have him!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #314 (permalink)

Default Would you breed your dog?

NO! #1-There are many people doing it with better dogs who know what they're doing #2-I love Ranger but he is not God's gift the the GSD blood line!
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #315 (permalink)

I'm going to answer from a different perspective...I would absolutely breed Jackson, IN A PERFECT WORLD. I'm not GOING to because that would be irresponsible, but in a perfect world, where i could put 6-10 puppies of his in perfect loving homes (pretty much any of YA'LL will do) and I could maybe keep one to watch the potential personality develop...yes, absolutely. Same goes for the first dog I ever had, Molly. I pretty much grew up with her (we got her when I was 7, and she died when I was 22), and I always thought it would have been great to have one of her puppies.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #316 (permalink)

Link's got a great temperament so far, very intelligent, curious, in good health, and gentle even with his favourite food or toys.
But even if he was a pure bred, with perfect health etc. I wouldn't breed him because few people are up to the challenge of caring for a pup from start to finish, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for the poor conditions the pups are likely to end up in. There are too many lost and lonelys out there as it is, not to mention those euthanized.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #317 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would not breed my dog. I never bred my female because I knew I couldn't part with the pups.
I will not breed WD (but will keep him intact if at all possible). If I were to get another pup I trust his breeder to have the right pup for me. He has tons of experience and knows what he is doing, no need to re-invent the wheel. After all I got this great dog from him.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #318 (permalink)

I thought about breeding my little girl, but she had an umbilical cord hernia when she was born. But i wouldn't be able to get rid of the pups, i would get too attached. Ali has an amazing temperament and wouldnt want it to change.

Last edited by Courtdar; 12-18-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Courtdar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #319 (permalink)
Master Member

I would not ever breed Chief. He has had aggression problems from his past that I wouldnt want to pass on he gets frustrated easy. He may have been different if I had had him when he was a puppy, but from what I know now no way would I breed him

I wouldn't want to be in a breeding business or anything, but to just have one litter of pups I would most certainly breed Smokey(hes a mix), but that don't matter to me. He is a one of a kind dog that I would love to have one of his pups to keep after he passes on. He has an amazing temperament I have 11 nieces and nephews from one side of the family and they are all young petting him pulling his ears and tail and he don't care hes just happy, I let my 3 guinea pigs crawl all over him and he will fall asleep curled around them, he is beyond smart and picks up anything almost instantly and is highly motivated by just praise. He is protective, but not aggressive he loves everyone, but when I need help he is there like he has been before when we had a break him he saved me, just as be saved me from being attacked by an akita on one occasion and a neighbors pitt bull on another occasion, also drug me back home when I fell asleep in a junk yard and got covered with snow. This dog is incredible and it would be a dream to have one of his offspring.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #320 (permalink)
Master Member

Well assuming since spay/neutered dogs can pretend they are intact and such. I'll pretend my has papers. I absolutely would. He's gorgeous, healthy and has a pretty good temperment. I think it would be enjoyable to breed a dog. Creating life..making families whole with a fuzzy member. Why not?
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.