Things to do with your GSD to strengthen your bond. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Things to do with your GSD to strengthen your bond.

I thought this would be a fun thread where we could come up with ideas on things we can do as owners to strengthen/build upon the bond between handler/owner and our GSD's.

What do you do with your dog to strengthen the bond you share?

These are some of the things I do (I am sure there are more but these were off the top of my head):

1. Marker = treat EVERYTIME, even if *I* mess up.

2. Corrections are never given out without thought or reason. Corrections are fair.

Have I taught the command properly? Does the dog understand the command? What can I do to help the dog understand what is being asked? Have I proofed the command/task? Did I communicate the command/task properly?

3. Ensure that he has sufficent excerise, training, socialization, basic needs are met daily.

4. Reward desired behaviours, even if it is just sitting quietly at your feet in the house.

5. Play with my dog - like REALLY play.

6. Allow my dog time to "be just a dog".

7. Understand *my* dogs needs and provide for them on a daily basis. This will be different day to day and dog to dog.

8. Provide my dog with opportunities to excell and also to grow (when to apply pressure and when not too).

9. Teach my dog in a happy, fun, positive manner.

10. Spend quality time with my dog doing things he enjoys (hiking, playing ball, swimming, playing in the snow, walking, etc.).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
*Coming soon* "__" z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Elite Member

well on top of what you said...belly rubs, pets and cuddling

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 PM

I'd love if people would get really specific.

One thing I do, when training - such as loose leash walking - is to stop every 3 mins or so and use my excited voice to tell her what a good girl she is and we play for about 30 seconds or so before going back for another few minutes of training. Eva seems to love it and I am more relaxed after each play time. We both seem to have a better attitude and she's more engaged with me during that session.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Knighted Member

For Victor it is playing ball with him and brushing him. He loves to be brushed. He will rub himself up against you and that is how he shows love to us. He is a great dog he just does not show it to anyone else but us.

Jamie-cuddles in bed at night and in the morning. She is a big talker too when it is cuddle time. Jamie is a love bug which is great.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JustMeLeslie; 12-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I will try to give examples of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
1. Marker = treat EVERYTIME, even if *I* mess up.
If I click or mark with a "YES!" too early or too late, I still give him his reward because the mistake was MINE.

The marker is always a signal that the reward is coming, this keeps the communication between handler and dog clear.

For an example, the other day I was teaching Stark a new behaviour. I wanted him to ring these bells on the cue "Jingle Bells". I hung the bells on the door and had him nose them. As soon as his nose touched the bells "Click - treat". One time he went in for the bells, didn't touch them yet but I thought he was going to so I clicked, he looked at me expecting his reward - my mistake, not his. He got the treat.

Quote:
2. Corrections are never given out without thought or reason. Corrections are fair.

Have I taught the command properly? Does the dog understand the command? What can I do to help the dog understand what is being asked? Have I proofed the command/task? Did I communicate the command/task properly?
Before I correct my dog, especially young dogs I ensure that he knows what is being asked. I never correct lightly.

I always try to re-direct behaviours into something more desirable but when the time a correction is needed, I make darn sure that *I* did everything in my power to ensure the dog understood what was being asked.

For an example, I was babysitting another dog for 2 weeks. Both dogs were off leash. The new dog does not have a lot of training, so I didn't expect her to come when called. Stark is EXCELLENT off leash, KNOWS what "heya" means (my recall command), I gave the command. Stark looked up, stepped toward me, looked back at the new dog then back at me and ran to the new dog, totally ignored my command. He was told to platz and was put on a long lead for the rest of the time outdoors. Correction for not listening to the command. His recall is very good under almost any distraction and so that behaviour was just bratty teenage behaviour. I have proofed it enough times, in enough situations, in enough places to know that my dog understands the command.

Quote:
3. Ensure that he has sufficent excerise, training, socialization, basic needs are met daily.
This is different for every dog. I know how much excerise my dog needs to be balanced, a good hour of off-leash time, a couple of walks and some training throughout the day will keep him pretty content. We live in an apartment building so socialization happens every time we step out our door whether we look for it or not. We meet new people, dogs, etc. every time we go potty.

He is fed daily, water changed few times per day and any thing else that needs to be done to keep him healthy and happy.

Quote:
4. Reward desired behaviours, even if it is just sitting quietly at your feet in the house.
I try to reward any behaviours that I want to keep. Quiet play in the house, walking nicely on a leash outdoors, being friendly to people while in public, laying down when I am chatting with someone, etc.

Let the dog know he is doing good.

Quote:
5. Play with my dog - like REALLY play.
This is huge for us.

My dog is NOT food or toy motivated. Play is huge with Stark, especially when it comes to training.

He likes to play rough, jump on me, mouth my hands or arms, be pushed around and to push me around. Play bounce at me and me at him. Keeps my dog motivated and engaged with me while working. It also helps build our bond by him knowing what pressure is acceptable with me and what is not.

He is NOT allowed to play like this with ANYONE else. JUST ME and JUST when I SAY so.

Quote:
6. Allow my dog time to "be just a dog".
Allow him to sniff on walks, allow him to mark (when off leash - not while walking), allow him to play with other dogs his size and energy level, allow him to be off leash and explore (safely).

Quote:
7. Understand *my* dogs needs and provide for them on a daily basis. This will be different day to day and dog to dog.
My dog is not a huge fan of chidlren, he is scared of him. I have worked with him to a point where I can have children approach him calmly and have them pet him, play ball or walk him but I know he gets nervous when they become loud, rowdy or are nervous of him.

I understand this and ensure that I don't put him in situations that make him uncomfortable like that.

He will not be approached by a child running at him (I stand infront of him to give him so 'peace'), I intercept children and show them how to interact with my dog

Quote:
8. Provide my dog with opportunities to excell and also to grow (when to apply pressure and when not too).
During training I know when he is ready to move on to the next step and when he is not. When to add a little pressure (say distractions, corrections, etc.) and when not too. When I need to go back and re-teach something or re-think how to do soemthing.

Quote:
9. Teach my dog in a happy, fun, positive manner.
If I get frustrated (this is a hard one for me because I like everything to be perfect the first time around) - walk away.

Training and owning a dog is fun and should remain that way, otherwise stop doing what you are doing until you can remember that again.

Quote:
10. Spend quality time with my dog doing things he enjoys (hiking, playing ball, swimming, playing in the snow, walking, etc.).
I try to do this on a daily basis but with life being so busy, sometimes it's hard to accomplish but we do managed to get out there and do "fun things" atleast once or twice per week. Such as swimming, hiking or going to train at the club which he LOVES.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Very informative!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Master Member

Elizabeth,
This is nicely written. I'm saving it as my K9 10 Commandments. Thanks for putting it together.

Rumi vom Haus Barrett 8/24/2010 BRAT, HCT, CGC
Dakota GSD rescue 7/1/00 - 9/15/11 CGC, RA, CD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gunnar GSD/greyhound rescue 1995-2005
Kodi GSD/husky rescue 1991-2004
Cleo, pug and Happy, mutt from childhood
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahhi22 View Post
Elizabeth,
This is nicely written. I'm saving it as my K9 10 Commandments. Thanks for putting it together.
Ditto

Give your dog a sense of importance, responsibility, and most importantly, a sense of humor.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Knighted Member

Well put, Elisabeth!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone, I was talking to someone from my club today and the topic came up so I thought I would post this here.

I would be interested to know what others do with their dogs as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page