German Shepherds Forum banner

Can They Really Understand Us?

29K views 88 replies 76 participants last post by  Bentwings1 
#1 ·
We all agree that our GSDs are extremely smart but are they smart enough to really understand us?

I'm kind of (alright - I am) stealing this from a thread started yesterday by CaseysGSDs. Here's the story she share with us: http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...es-i-think-they-can-really-understand-us.html

I'd love to hear more stories of our GSDs understanding us. Or just sharing our opinions on if our GSDs can/can't understand us.

#89 ·
I like to look at what the dog can understand from their point of view. What if you were the dog and magically transported to a world populated by beings far more intelligent than you, much larger, slower moving but with a language of sounds that you could not duplicate. Distinctive oders and using devices you had no concept of nor could you ever use.

Their mode of transportation was something very foreign to you but had reasonably comfortable resting places. They made horrible noises and went 4 times as fast as you could on trips. Scary speeds. These things were very big and fatally dangerous.

The new world is extremely dangerous for you to be free roaming so you are required to wear a restraining device very foreign to you.

Various strange sounds followed by hard yanks on the restraining device force you to do various things for no good reason in your mind. But you miraculously gets yummy treats if you give in to these. Associating the beings movements and strange sounds you gradually learn that certain ones can get good treats and loving hugs (that you hate) but that's easier than the yanks. Since you no longer have mom or dad and brothers and sisters are gone, you have no choice but to be around these strange beings. They provide good healthy food, not as good as your natural prey but still tasty. You get your own " home" and many other places you can rest or do things. The main thing is that when you hear, see, or notice your master's presence, you come running. He likes you to come to his front and will give you a reward every time. Usually he will ask you to walk beside him. It's ok as you have become comfortable with him. He won't hurt you but only asks you to do dumb things. Sometimes they are fun because you can do things they can't and get rewards.

Your master has discovered that you are particularly big and very strong. You have a very imposing look about you. He creates a series of noises and motions that direct you to really fight and scare off intruders. You receive very special guidance perfecting your abilities and special athletic training. You now know how to protect your master. and your home. You have perfect manners, you like most other beings and their young, they even have this furry thing with sharp claws that thinks he owns the place but you chase him for fun. There is no need to hurt him but he does bug you sometimes. Your confidence level is extremely high so there is no need to fight without reason.

You occasionally get to see and be around other " dogs". Most are extremely rude, some just want to fight and steal your food and clothes. But your master is very protective and will drive them away or fight them off while keeping you safe. Others are pretty nice and if you are nice, you get along.

Ring, ring ring, it's morning and time get up. " oh, hi, mr. shepherd do you need to go out? " Tail wagging.

Back to reality.

Byron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.