German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Watch and Learn - Member Training Videos (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/watch-learn-member-training-videos/)
-   -   The power of frisbee (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/watch-learn-member-training-videos/430434-power-frisbee.html)

Baillif 03-28-2014 07:52 AM

The power of frisbee

Everyone plays with tugs. Screw tugs. They're for noobs.

Why are you buying all these expensive 20 to 40 dollar bite tugs from Leerburg that are just going to fall apart? Then you need a DVD just to learn to do it right. Forget that noise. Be like Ivan, invent the game and then say screw it, dog likes a frisbee I bought at Petco more. So what everyone at club looks at you funny?

Zebu positions heel - YouTube

Mister C 03-28-2014 08:16 AM

Nice training session. He just LOVES that frisbee doesn't he?

blackshep 03-28-2014 09:41 AM

My dog's papa (IPO3) trains with a Frisbee. He freaking loves that thing. One time he couldn't hold it in anymore, and jumped on his owner and just about pulled her over trying to get it out from under her jacket, it was totally hilarious :D

Baillif 03-28-2014 09:54 AM

I'm being a little facetious. I love tugs but it is interesting I had to build value for it for it to be useful for training and the frisbee didn't require that. Says more about the dog than the game though. The great thing about having several ways to reward is that they can stay fresh and exciting when you cycle them.

Part of what creates value in a game is the frequency in which you play it. If you play it all the time it's not as exciting as if it happens every so often. Well if tug is your only toy reward game and you only play a certain way it gets boring vs different games with the same item or different items that all have different games.

shepherdmom 03-28-2014 09:57 AM

Thanks Baillif... You have given me an idea for my little dude. He is all about the Kong but Tasha gets great big green eyes and tries to steal it. I will try a Frisbee. I don't think Tasha likes those. :)

dpc134 03-28-2014 10:00 AM

Great video. Amazing results. Really nice work.

glowingtoadfly 03-28-2014 10:05 AM

This is amazing!

Blanketback 03-28-2014 10:08 AM

Thanks for posting the great video, that was lots of fun to watch :)

I've never used those fabric frisbees (looks like what you've got) because I didn't think they had enough weight to them. I really like the chewber the best out of all of them now. It's a Super Tool, that's for sure. I keep mine at the front door, at my dog's eye level. He's very highly motivated to get to the game, so teaching him decent door manners was a piece of cake.

Baillif 03-28-2014 10:13 AM

I thought the fabric ones would tear the second he got a hold of one but they hold up really well. You can even play tug with them although this would drastically reduce the life of the toy. I like em because even if I fire one directly into the dogs face it isn't aversive. The extra hang time you can get outside means you can wear the dog out faster.

Plus they are pink so girls assume you're in touch with your sensitive side and when I stick it in my pants it draws their attention to my butt.

wyoung2153 03-28-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5283890)
I'm being a little facetious. I love tugs but it is interesting I had to build value for it for it to be useful for training and the frisbee didn't require that. Says more about the dog than the game though. The great thing about having several ways to reward is that they can stay fresh and exciting when you cycle them.

Part of what creates value in a game is the frequency in which you play it. If you play it all the time it's not as exciting as if it happens every so often. Well if tug is your only toy reward game and you only play a certain way it gets boring vs different games with the same item or different items that all have different games.

I don't train anything exciting right now... taking a break from SAR for a couple months but a frisbee wouldn't have been a good idea (woods + frisbee + a handler that can barely throw one well at all = bad bad idea and inefficient rewards).. but we do OB and scent games frequently to keep up..

It was defninitely interesting and still gets me, to see Titan's drive change with a frisbee or soccer ball.. we play with a tennis ball every day.. it's is regular reward. When we got his first frisbee about a year ago.. it was like a kid on Christmas. He didn't know what to do with himself. It's now a special toy/game for us. But he will drop just about anything and won't even take treats anymore once I bring out the frisbee, and most recently the soccer ball.