Obedience with food game - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Obedience with food game

This is Zebu, a half German Shepherd half Belgian Malinois playing the obedience food game with me. I recently switched him to french commands to keep his sport commands pure and separated from casual obedience so you still see the abbreviated luring gestures to get him to position quickly and clearly.

I am sacrificing some accuracy for energy. I am trying to be as accurate as I can but the focus in this case is making things quick and fun to keep the dog focused on the task at hand for a fairly long amount of time for a puppy. As a result I marked hovers sometimes because it looked down from my angle, so it's always good to tape these kinds of things from another angle to catch it. I don't typically work in circles quite so much but I wanted to keep it in frame and keep him stable on the rug, so depending on which hand I load up with and feed with I trade off which direction we make the circles in to keep him balanced and not favoring one particular side.

This kind of thing is the kind of training you would see from trainers like Michael Ellis. Instead of boring slow paced drills that make the dog want to check out it gets turned into a game that focuses on engagement first and foremost, and then the other behaviors second. He is so excited to play when he knows it is coming he gets a little malinuts at the start.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Great lesson for me.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Malinuts" *chuckle*

I didn't have audio, so I was wondering what you were telling him to do when he runs off screen?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Really nice session. You have good timing and mechanics. Not dropping food all over the floor takes some practice when loading your hands up. Nice looking dog too. Thanks for posting!

Other than the hovers (which are really hard to see from the handler perspective), all I see to work on is being careful of your reward hand on the recall. Sometimes it is out and in motion before you mark. I always catch little things when I video myself.

Really nice work!
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Really nice work

Great energized training/play session. He seems like lot of dog but he's very focussed and clearly enjoying himself. I found it instructional. Thanks for sharing.
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

When he's off screen he's going for a thrown piece of kibble.

Since then he's moved on to toy so we don't play that game anymore. He is now almost a year old. I'll go for an MR1 on him but i don't know if he has the drive to move past that. He is missing an edginess and explosiveness to his bite work that will make going beyond that difficult. Its a bit of a shame as he is super easy to train. He learned contact heeling with distraction in 2 weeks training 1 session a day. I continue to focus on him but I've already started searching for "the one."
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Looks like a fun dog!! I'm tired just watching you!! You definitely put ALOT of energy into the session..

We have a Mal/Shep cross in our club.. And he's coming along nicely in ob and protection..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

a game that focuses on engagement first and foremost, and then the other behaviors second.

Not to sound like an idiot but can you explain what you mean by that. I think I know but I want to hear your explanation.

Thanks for sharing the video, I think I am getting boring to my dog the way I am trying to work with her. I am going to try this.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Awhhh he looks so happy!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
a game that focuses on engagement first and foremost, and then the other behaviors second.

Not to sound like an idiot but can you explain what you mean by that. I think I know but I want to hear your explanation.

Thanks for sharing the video, I think I am getting boring to my dog the way I am trying to work with her. I am going to try this.
The idea behind it is to make training like a fun game instead of a drill. In boring repetitive drills young dogs have a tendency to "check out". This happens for a variety of reasons such as too much of a time gap between cues markers and rewards or the dog isn't super into your reward or something in the environment is more entertaining at that moment.

So to combat that everything happens quickly. The instant the dog performs a behavior (and sometimes before as some of you have noticed *oops*) the reward marker is given and the food comes out in random amounts and in a way where the dog has to chase it down to obtain it like if we were playing with a toy. The dog stays focused because rewards come quickly and with an event.

Being focused on you for longer time periods conditions a younger dog to focus on the handler. Eventually when the dog is older you can just punish a lapse in attention to the task at hand when the dog knows he is supposed to be in work mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.