Unsafe website? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Just to let you know, I haven't picked up anything, but I have an Apple, so if there is a virus/spyware/whatever, it doesn't appear to affect my Mac.
Sable (plush GSD)
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

It happen to me last night after signing in, about 5 minutes later. I am now on a different computer running Microsoft Sercurity Essential along with ad-aware and it has NOT happened yet. I just signed on, I'll be here about 15 minutes and I now always sign out. If it happens I well post it, if it doesn't well I just won't mention it.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi everyone,

Here's a note from our tech team:

The screen users are seeing is not the google safe browsing alert, and since google reports no found malware on the site, it seems to possibly be local anti-virus or spyware protection. I've browsed the site thoroughly today from both the local network and the US proxy with no noticeable problems. We will need to collect more information from the users in order to help identify the causes.

1. Operating system and Browser (include version)
2. Installed spyware and/or anti-virus software
3. Geographical location (city, state- at least state)
4. URL that resulted in the error

Next time you guys see this warning, can you please cut and paste the URL where the warning popped up and also provide the info from steps 1 to 3?

Yung
shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use microsoft windows explorer, Avast anti-virus protection, SW Michigan location with Verizon DSL, I was looking at a recent thread in raw feeding when Avast warned of a trojan horse virus intercepted. Happened at 4:32 pm today.
I had no other windows opened...

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but often those warnings themselves are what is actually the spyware/malware. I see it every day (I work in IT and do virus/malware removals all day long).

I've never seen that message and I check this forum on three different computers. Windows 7 and Windows XP PCs with FireFox and Mac OS Leopard with FireFox. All three run Symantec Endpoint but that has never alerted me to any suspicious activity.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Italian One

I had a friend mention something to me today and I decided to research it a little more because I thought it might possibly be what happening here.

Apparently Goodle Adsense is pretty easily hacked by malware and viruses. It’s happened several times over the past few years. Incidents have been reported in 2005, 2007, 2009 and it looks like it’s happening again now in 2010 (see the link below). What happens is this virus alters the code within Google Adsense frames and produces “fake ads” that are formatted to look like legitimate ads and run in the Adsense block but are really a Trojan horse virus. This Trojan horse is the kind of virus that gets more dangerous as it runs secretly on your system and you don’t even realize it until it’s too late.

I’m not positive this is what’s going on but it’s not a good idea to ignore the warnings you’re getting from your anti-virus software or to try and wait it out hoping they’ll just stop or disappear. This is a real issue and we have at least 2 members that I know of who have reported actually picking up a virus they believe came from visiting this site not to mention those of you who are reporting getting a warning. I’d recommend that you install an ad blocker, scan your computer every time you visit this site until the issue is resolved and that you continue to report any and all information on this so the VS techs can hopefully get this resolved ASAP.

One recent reference (search and you can find many more); does google adsense guarantee virus free ads? - AdSense Help

Record of my notices:

First time 4/26, around 7-8 pm CST, using Google Crome and running Avast!. Location: Central MN, Quest High Speed. Viewing: Todays Post page and not logged in. I can’t remember if I had another page open or not.

Second time I received this warning was on 4/27 between 2-4 pm CST, using IE and running NOD32. Location: Central MN, Northstar Access DSL. Viewing: Current Dog Affairs (not sure of the exact topic). This happened shortly after I logged in and I received a warning page and immediately closed the page. No other browsers open. My virus protection said something about a penny-stock ad. I remember thinking it was a funny ad for a GSD site.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I use microsoft windows explorer, Avast anti-virus protection, SW Michigan location with Verizon DSL, I was looking at a recent thread in raw feeding when Avast warned of a trojan horse virus intercepted. Happened at 4:32 pm today.
I had no other windows opened...
Thanks for the info. Next time, can you also cut and paste the URL from your browser? This will help us narrow down our search. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

Great info Vinnie!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Last night while on this website my other computer was hijacked with something. Virus or whatever, I now have to take it in to have it fixed. It says I have a virus and won't let me go anywhere. It wants me to go to some website spy something or other. Restarted in safe mode and ran all my virus scan's it found nothing. I also ran two downloads from Macafee that I download on to a disk, nothing. I have one more idea and then it's off to get fixed. I AM GONE!!!
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

It's a browser hijack; not a virus. Check out "Hijack This"
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.