German Shepherds Forum banner

*URGENT* 21 mo old neutered male, working line, labeled "fear aggressive" MANTECA, CA

6K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  GatorBytes 
#1 · (Edited)
*URGENT* 21 mo old neutered male, working line, labeled "fear aggressive" MANTECA, CA

Rescued a very expensive 21 month old working line male about 2 months ago now. He belonged to a family member, he was being borderline abused and ended up nipping someone. He was then abandoned at a random location. We went to look for him, put up fliers and 1 week later found him

He came into our home with no issues, he had met us maybe 5-10 times total, but not for long periods of time. In the process of trying to find him a home, we took him to a rescue to be evaluated and he was labeled as fear aggressive and rejected.

Trying to find a local home on our own, with a slow transition in mind, he has nipped and bit 2 people upon the first meet, we suspect the candidates moved too fast with petting and interaction, but we are not professionals so do not know exactly the reason behind his actions.

Its at the point now where we cannot find him a home, and he cannot stay with us since we have a GSD, Doberman, and a baby on the way.

Last night, my wife was in our bedroom on the bed, with the rescue lying on the floor about 3ft from the door. Apparently my gsd walked into the room and was immediately attacked by the rescue.

A fight ensued, I ran in from the living room and we were able to separate them by grabbing their hind legs and pulling them apart.

Neither dog was injured, but we each ended up with minor bite wounds

3rd fight in 2 months between them, I feel like it may be a lost cause. Considering taking him in today unless somehow a lead pops up

See less See more
#10 ·
You don't have to answer this, but was the 'family members' name possibly Jaimie?
This dog looks sooo familiar to me

#12 ·
ok, I had seen a post on fb by someone who had a gsd that looked jsut like this one, had 'issues'...

Can I have your permission to repost this link on a couple gsd facebook pages? maybe someone would be interested in your area.

#14 ·
Is the breeder aware of this dogs whereabouts/temperament? Maybe the breeder should take the dog back(unless it is a commercial breeding operation)

#16 ·
Longtime lurker, registered just to share: you're very close to Big Basin dog training center in Modesto. They do Schutzhund, PP as well as basic obedience so they should be able to evaluate the dog. I've been there a few times to check it out and everyone was knowledgable and helpful. I'm not sure if I can post their site, but if you google big basin dog training in Modesto you should be able to find it. They're great about returning calls. Actually, I'll PM you their website and phone number.

#17 · (Edited)
Huntz has been re assessed by a trainer who deals with working dogs, he passed his assessment, his temp dad and a small group of us are really working hard to get him into a home that will be best for him, good thoughts and hope for Huntz!!

Some great things about this guy! Hes gorgeous, smart and eager to learn :) plus he has an awesome group of ontario ladies all routing for him!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#18 ·
Huntz has been re assessed by a trainer who deals with working dogs, he passed his assessment, his temp dad and a small group of us are really working hard to get him into a home that will be best for him, good thoughts and hope for Huntz!!

Some great things about this guy! Hes gorgeous, smart and eager to learn :) plus he has an awesome group of ontario ladies all routing for him!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Well that's good news!!! I was going to ask for an update b/c initially he had a deadline of this past wed. to be PTS. So glad they came here looking for help and that their care and compassion for Huntz may have saved him from who knows what:eek:

Cheers to you ms.davis

#22 ·
Thanks for all the support. Huntz is doing great, the juggling of dogs has gotten a little less stressful and we just had my boy Ando neutered to help the situation. Also put up a temp fence to seperate the back from the side yard so Huntz can hang out in the back when were away and my 2 can still use the side to do their business.

I drove about 2 hours to have Huntz assessed in the absolute worst weather I have EVER driven in, and I pretty much drove for a living for 5 years. I ended up getting rear ended on the way there, thankfully noone was hurt and I was able to continue to the assessment, just a little late.

It was very figurative, for Huntz' situation... I had to go through a horrible storm and face adversity to get to the sunshine on the other end, where Huntz showed who he truly was. He has had a **** of a life, but the sun is shining where he is headed now

So glad I made one final push for him, its Gods grace i tell you!

#24 ·
It was very figurative, for Huntz' situation... I had to go through a horrible storm and face adversity to get to the sunshine on the other end, where Huntz showed who he truly was. He has had a **** of a life, but the sun is shining where he is headed now

So glad I made one final push for him, its Gods grace i tell you!
thanks to your perseverance and being open to find the right help instead of settling on one rescue's assessment and one Veterinarian concurring that he should be PTS.
:toasting:

:doggieplayball:

#23 ·
I'm so glad things are working out for all of you, despite the rear ending and bad storm!!!

Please keep us updated:)

#25 ·
:D

Yeah!

Agree with GatorBytes and that's why I always say it's best to get the dog evaluated by a trainer knowledgeable with the breed and working dogs.

Having spent some time now around working dogs I've learned there's a big difference between the average pet rescue/trainers and those that know and work with these dogs day in and day out.

Please do keep us posted.

And three cheers for mislesleedavis :D :hug:

#28 ·
That is excellent news!!!:happyboogie:
I was just thinking about you guys last night and was going to post for update.

I love happy endings....or should I say new beginnings!

ArkAangel, you should be proud for the lengths you went to help this dog and for not giving into mis-interpreted "aggression". To think this boy had a couple of days b/c a vet ($$$) agreed and rescue had deemed the dog unfit for re-homing.

Cheers to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.