Grim's new collar and leash came today! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default Grim's new collar and leash came today!

The collar is heavier than what I thought it would be. Also, there is only one 'loop' where the leash goes... no second loop or anything for his tags. Where do people put their tags?? The leather puppy collar I got from Leerburg's site has two, but he's nearly outgrown it. Do you have to get a second collar for tags?

The leash is also heavy. It will be GREAT for when he's a big boy! I love that it has so many things you can do with it. It's like having several leashes in one. Now I will only need this one and my long line! Grim was being a turkey tonight while we were trying to put his new kennel together... running into it when I was trying to move it (it's HEAVY!) and he had on the martingale collar. One tug on it, and he was fully focused on ME again! Tomorrow I'll walk him with it on and see if I get his attention for teaching loose lead walking. I'm a little concerned with how heavy it is, though. I suppose he'll get used to it? He is 18 weeks now I think... nearly 19 then I guess? He should be OK with it. I'd like to be able to leave it on him all the time for house control, but maybe I'll just use it as his 'training collar' so he'll know when we're working. This is what I did with the prong collars with my previous shepherds. I did buy a black nylon collar (that's larger than his leather current one) before I decided on the martingale. I guess I can use that one for his tags and 'all the time' use, and use the martingale when we're training.
I really do like it, though! It's not a 'choke chain'... which I despise... but it should give me more control over his lack of focus than a flat collar. I wish I could have his focus with just a flat, but he's such a stubborn, stubborn boy!! Given that our 'real' training should start after Thanksgiving, this came just in time! I wish I'd had access to or known about this Ultimate Leash when I had my previous dogs. There were times when I needed to clip them or loop them in an emergency and couldn't. I can't get over how many variations come in one leash! After watching the video display of it, I was sold. I've always preferred leather leashes, but they just can't do what this one can. Absolutely no comparison. Any future working dogs I have will have to have this leash. I'll let you guys know what I think about the martingale after I walk my sniffing maniac tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have both, haven't used the collar yet though I'm tempted because Ollie is an awful puller already but he's barely 3 months old so not sure if he's old enough. But might try it just when we're working on loose leash walking.

I love that I can hook the leash to things, comes in handy since I keep him on lead in the house right now. But I wish that it had a better handle instead of a clip at the end, makes it awkward to hold onto when I want a 6 foot lead. So I'll probably get a regular leather lead for walks. But I am kind of picky sooo...
I have the leather ultimate so they do make one, the leather is really nice, it's already nice and soft after only a few weeks use.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Carriesue; 11-16-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Carriesue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also I got one of these for the tags, nice especially for growing dogs!

http://www.dogids.com/tag-it-holder.html

Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

My goal on walks it to have my hands free. I was able to do this with my other shepherds when I started using prong collars. I'm hoping the new collar puts an end to his 'marathon walks', lol! Do you find that the martingale is really heavy? This one (that I got with the Ultimate leash) has the metal snap buckle which is what I think makes it so heavy. Nice, though, because it's less likely to come undone than the plastic clips. Grim isn't too much older than your guy I guess...but I doubt it would really weigh his neck down too much. What do you do with yours and tags?? That has me really stumped. I guess I'll have to have another collar on at the same time? Grim is chipped, but I have the tag with his name and my contact info, then there is his chip tag, there will be a license tag, and also a rabies tag eventually. That's a LOT of tags! Way too many to put on the loop that the leash goes on.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Also I got one of these for the tags, nice especially for growing dogs!

Tag-It Dog ID Tag Holder - Dog Tag Accessories

Oh, THANK YOU!! I'm going to order one of these right away! HUGE help, as I haven't found another collar (other than the puppy one he has on now) that has a separate loop for tags!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah the collar is heavy! I originally got it for my Pom to do some training with him on walks but LOL way to heavy for him so just going to use it for Ollie while it still fits him.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I did order that tag holder. Well... it's not a prong, LOL! Grim acted the same as he does on a flat. I swear, NOTHING gets through his head that he can't do things his way! He honestly doesn't care what kind of correction he gets. The few times he slowed down and gave me some slack on the lead I praised him like crazy. Then he'd forge on ahead! My back is killing me. I hope that this trainer can help me figure out how to get through to him. I've never had a shepherd like this. Especially a pup that blows me off as much as he does. You'd think with all the praise, treats, etc. that he gets when he does the right thing that he'd make the right choice. Breeder was right... he's absolutely stubborn and wants things his way. Period.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I understand this right - Grim is only 4 1/2 months old and now he has a martingale collar (of course it is too heavy for a pup) and that will be used to help him focus. Whatever happened to puppyhood? Isn't this supposed to be the fun time - let the puppy explore. Why not consider putting off the martingale collar until he is older and the weight won't bother him, and instead use a martingale harness (nylon and lightweight) that will help with the pulling issue and should work nicely with his new leash.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got the metal snap engraved. No need for tags.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Collar Mania Custom Dog Collars - Home Her collars are sturdy and have a little metal loop to hang the tags on
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.