German Shepherds Forum banner

Off Leash K9

5K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  LBethO 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I was just curious what are your guys thoughts on off leash K9 training. I've been trying to research them but I only see things on their board which is something I'm not interested in. I'm mainly interested in their basic and advance training. I've seen their videos on the two week board program and it's amazing but I don't want to pay $2300 to have someone train my dog. I prefer to learn it.

Also if you guys know any good trainers in Riverside CA, please recommend me some! I'm trying to look for some and I can't find much. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
A reputable obedience trainer should be able to help you with this, it's one of the basics. Off leash reliability is great, but you should always keep the law in mind and don't break it even if your dog is obedient.

Do you have a GSD? Perhaps contact your local GSD club(s) and ask for recommendations. Plenty of trainers will have good reviews when they train easy pets, but a trainer that is reputable with working dog clubs will likely know how to handle strong willed dogs, which is important with of leash training.

#3 ·
A reputable obedience trainer should be able to help you with this, it's one of the basics. Off leash reliability is great, but you should always keep the law in mind and don't break it even if your dog is obedient.

Do you have a GSD? Perhaps contact your local GSD club(s) and ask for recommendations. Plenty of trainers will have good reviews when they train easy pets, but a trainer that is reputable with working dog clubs will likely know how to handle strong willed dogs, which is important with of leash training.

Yeah I tried contacting some GSD clubs for advice and they tell me to try going to their club. I'm contacting Schutzhund clubs if that's what you mean by GSD clubs btw. As much as I want to do Schutzhund my schedule doesn't allow me to train with them as they only train Monday Wednesday and Sunday but I'm unavailable on Monday and wednesdays /:

#20 ·
So they don't euthanize if they are in your city. Because the only two shelters are no kill....I'm sure you'll have an explanation.... Don't bother
Good story.
Sorry op for going off track.
California is very dog friendly. Just a quick Google search pulled up a bunch of different trainers. It all comes down to what you like and want in a trainer. Maybe pm mycobraracr he might know someone in your area

#19 · (Edited)
Why does everything turn into an argument lately? Maybe if we focus on facts instead of opinion that would not happen so much. Cloud, I agree. In our area with very strict dog laws, you might get a fine or a warning. I would like to see published facts on dogs being removed from the owner's for violating leash laws. There are times I wish my area put more teeth into their laws.

#21 ·
I feel like Offleash K9 has been discussed on here before but I can't remember anything said. OP, did you do a search for that? If not, try it.

As for euthanizing offleash dogs, I will say I found some obscure law in my county's animal rules that says that if any dog is picked up and not wearing a town license, they have the option to euthanize without holding for pickup. Or something to that effect. It freaked me right out. I have licensed my dogs every year on the button!!! They do not set foot outside my fence without a collar that has a tag with my address and phone numbers, a tag for their microchip, and their town license. I don't make them wear their rabies licenses because it's too much crap jingling and the town licenses require rabies certificates so it is redundant.

My town has no leash law and it was part of the reason I wanted to live here to be honest

But I also see stray dogs posted in the county shelter CONSTANTLY, circulating for owner pickup and later for adoption so I don't think it ever happens. Most of them are hunting breeds, beagles or hounds, found wandering, who were probably being hunted and wandered off.

#22 ·
I feel like Offleash K9 has been discussed on here before but I can't remember anything said. OP, did you do a search for that? If not, try it.

As for euthanizing offleash dogs, I will say I found some obscure law in my county's animal rules that says that if any dog is picked up and not wearing a town license, they have the option to euthanize without holding for pickup. Or something to that effect. It freaked me right out. I have licensed my dogs every year on the button!!! They do not set foot outside my fence without a collar that has a tag with my address and phone numbers, a tag for their microchip, and their town license. I don't make them wear their rabies licenses because it's too much crap jingling and the town licenses require rabies certificates so it is redundant.

My town has no leash law and it was part of the reason I wanted to live here to be honest

But I also see stray dogs posted in the county shelter CONSTANTLY, circulating for owner pickup and later for adoption so I don't think it ever happens. Most of them are hunting breeds, beagles or hounds, found wandering, who were probably being hunted and wandered off.

Yeah I've tried doing a search and I have only seen the Michael Ellis and off leash K9 thread but that one had little information about them and led to an argument how Michael Ellis is expensive lol

#32 ·
I've had good success with Jeff Gellman's videos. I found him after a search for how to address our newest GSD's mouthy and reactive behavior. He doesn't get into the theory but explains the practice. I like Leerburg and their use of ecollars. Buy a good one. Learn how to use conditioning and layering commands so that the dog knows what you want and what the correction or force (working level of e collar) means. Training_your_dog_and_you.com is another website that gives exhaustive explanations of theory behind the practice. Know your dog, figure out the training method that fits you and be the trainer your dog needs. Or hire someone who can meet the dog's needs. I think dogs are individual and what works for my GSD, the Goldens and our newest tourist mutt might not fit your dog and you.

Practice, practice, practice

If I can do it, so can you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.