German Shepherds Forum banner

Can someone explain elevated training platforms ?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Fodder 
#1 ·
I'm an amateur when it comes to training to start.

I'm looking for info/experience with training platforms and what it adds to training? I see people using them to shape and solidify commands with positive reinforcement. Does the elevation help the dogs confidence?

Does the platform become a tool that the dog is dependent on for obedience, or does it get phased out?

#2 ·
It's phased out. the platform is used for a lot of things. Obedience exercises, to teach "place", to teach boundaries in protection, impulse control. It's not about the "elevation" in itself. It's about giving the dog a clear understanding of boundary.

#3 ·
Are you speaking of the use of the table in IPO training or just general training on an elevated surface?

I know when I work with small dogs sometimes for training sit and down it's easier on my back to have them on a table initially. I've found with Dachshunds it's also easier to lure them into a down when they are on the table.

To my mother's chagrin, my Shih Tzu first learned to sit on the coffee table. >:)

#4 ·
Im asking about a general elevated table. I saw a company that makes the KLIMB table. I've never really taught place with my dog, but am wondering about using something similar (DIY build) to help improve some obedience, especially with distraction

#5 ·
I have some KLIMB platforms and I have one i made with a pvc base that allows a bit more room for a down. Yes, once you've put value on that platform then it's easy to add in distractions.

Look up the dvd Crate Games. You add value to a platform in a very similar way.

#7 ·
You can look up some other Michelle Puliot videos, but the first part of this one is a good intro about platform benefits:

My dog loves them and will even knock over one that's propped against a wall in order to get on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.