German Shepherds Forum banner

What should I be doing?

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve Strom 
#1 ·
So Enya is coming up on 14 weeks. I've been working on exposing her to different places, different people. She walks on a leash well. She's working on sit, down, stay, leave it, come and out/drop it. She does excellent in the front yard, so working now in backyard. Once she does well there we'll work in the side yard, then keep moving about the property. I'm working on keeping her focus in all places. I'll be working on the same thing in town as well.

I've ordered a roped ball and I'm currently working with a toy that is similar with tugging and letting go. I'm not sure yet what trainers or working clubs are near me yet or the cost. Since I'm retired, cost does factor in.

What else should I be working on her with at this point in time?

#2 ·
I'm right behind you with my puppy at 10 weeks. I'm gathering some smaller boxes to do scent work.

Reactions: Deb
#4 ·
recalls are the most important thing, IMO at this stage. You need a long line, or someone else to hold the dog and do restrained recalls all the time, every training session.

#6 ·
restrained recall is having someone hold your pup/dog and you run from them...when you call the dog, the dog should run to you. Either you can do it with or without a line. If you don't trust your dog, start it close up, and you hold the line(but still have someone hold your dog by the collar) It is all about the dog coming fast to you for a party/reward. Imprint that early, it could be a lifesaver.

#7 ·
Thanks, Onyx!! That I do know, just not by that name. Didn't know it had a name and haven't used it in years. I start out teaching a recall by running in the opposite direction if they aren't focusing. I'll have one of the kids help with this.

What equipment should we be looking at getting?

#8 ·
What equipment should we be looking at getting?
long line, high value training toys(ball on string or good tug toy) food, and you acting like an idiot so your dog is engaged with you.

#9 ·
I've ordered a ball on a string today, have different favored food treats figured out and acting like an idiot down pat. (At least according to my kids.) *G* Thank you so much, Onyx!

My only trained working dog came trained, so the training is new and I want to do it correctly and as well as I can. And it's important for Enya that I do it to the best of my ability.

#11 ·
Thank you! I actually do almost all training off lead. About the only time Enya has a lead on is when we leave the property. I use the long lead for reinforcing coming with distractions. So far with her stay I can go ten feet in from of her or walk in a circle around her in either a sit or a down. She stays pretty focused on me. My kids are great, (in their 20s and 30s) making her follow through if they tell her something. So she getting good consistency. Yesterday she began learning to climb a 'rock climbing wall' walking across the bridge and then sliding down the slide. It's make for toddlers and young children so only about two and a half feet high for the rock wall and slide. She thinks it's great fun. She likes to watch the ball roll down the slide and then slide down after it. I'm working on giving her lots of different experiences and surfaces.

#14 ·
I have Tracking from the beginning by Gary Patterson. Its a pretty good step by step that uses 3 tracks to teach the pieces and tell you when to progress. A lot of people start with scent pads. Here's a thread where I think that gets covered. That's how I started my last 3 dogs.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/tracking/621194-beginner-tracking-any-advice-appreciated.html

When I hear scent work, I think of a general hunting for something where as in IPO its a very formal, obedient style of tracking that gets scored on different things that wouldn't matter in other venues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.