HELP, very reactive GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP, very reactive GSD

Yaz is a 16 month old spayed GSD. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She started lunging and attacking cars and garbage cans at 12 weeks, I have worked with 2 different types of trainers and every type of collar, including just recently an e collar using Lou Castles training methods. I have had a behaviorist evaluate her, and was told she is "not right" that she is an extreme reactive dog that will have to be managed her whole life. We put her on Prozac at the recommendation of both the vet and behaviorist, as I didn't want to give up on her. Last night on our walk she randomly attacked a tree, she was literally trying to rip it out of the ground and would not let go for 12 minutes. I tried everything to get her off the tree, to no avail, she just finally wore her self out and let go. This is the type of behavior she shows all the time. She walks great until there is a car or garbage can and then she goes nuts. I've tried every treat, collar, nothing has changed this behavior, and I'm at wits end.. Has anyone experienced this? Have any suggestions?
jennyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

To Add, not been the ecollar has helped with the cars. Mind you I am doing it at the "working level" as per Lou Castle recommendation. She does heel, here, sit down, etc unless there is a distraction.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think that by what you have written your dog is beyond getting advice from the internet chat rooms, or by watching training videos and following protocols. I am sorry, but no, I have never dealt with a dog that sounds like yours. Maybe someone here has. And it is fine to run things by the crowd here, but you really need to take your dog to the vet, and get a full blood panel work up on her, and maybe some drug therapy, and you need to find an exceptional trainer/behaviorist who can come and see your dog in action and give you the advice you need.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like she has done this and just looking for maybe someone who has possibly dealt with this since nothing has worked? I agree with the prozac, or perhaps Diazepam prior to a walk if this is the only time you are seeing the reactivity. It's a short acting anti - anxiety and can be used alone or in combination with long term drugs. How does she act with her toys? What type of exercise and stimulation is she receiving on a daily basis? Is she spayed?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

She is spayed. I walk her twice a day for about 20 minutes each time, and play fetch with her for at least an hour a day, not to mention other attention. She is fine with her toys.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not to be the Devil's Advocate here but what if her attention suddenly turns to another person, animal or a child? I understand you love her and do not want to give up on her but maybe muzzling would be in order if you are off of your property? I do wish you all the best and pray that you will find someone to help her but in the meantime you need to protect others from her.... or keep her contained.

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.