How to train for Constant Eye Contact during Heel? (And to hug my leg during heel?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Question How to train for Constant Eye Contact during Heel? (And to hug my leg during heel?)

Best ways to train constant eye contact during heels?
How did YOU train it? I am sure there are million ways to get to it, wondering what different ways people have, to see if one works for Zelda an me.

I'm not looking to do competition with her. But training our heel can be frustrating. Right now she can ONLY have her kibble, and its not high value enough for outside or even inside training sessions. So it has to be through praise and also chest rubs for rewards.

When she does a heel, she knows she has to stay next to me with her not going ahead of me.. HOWEVER, she still doesn't get that i want her to hug my leg. My timing must be off? She typical will walk with her head in front of her, sometimes looking away or sniffing things during heel, which i dont want. Also sometimes she will walk a couple feet away from me, same line. And if i move to the left she doesn't. (if that makes sense) I also have a loose leash walking which she can do everything, except put pressure on the leash. I never ask Heel for very long.

I'm guessing the eye contact and hugging my leg might have something in common that i'm missing.

I want a really good solid heel, full concentration on me. Because of her FA with strangers. For safety reasons.

Last edited by VTGirlT; 09-23-2014 at 07:46 PM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is part of my issue too.
joneser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You don't do either. You train them to look up at you but if you train them to look at your eyes they'll twist around you. They shoudl be looking at your shoulder.

And you dont' want them on your leg touching it. Next to your leg. With her legs in line with yours.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would pay someone to just come to my house and train tyson. Last I checked you,
Started rewarding them for looking at you.
Then added a command in like "here" and then you rewarded them,
Then you dropped hot dogs out of your mouth while they sat infront of you, then you put them in a heel and started wkth the here command and dropping hotdogs. I have not done this yet but I will start at some point.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Well i imagine it this way. When someone comes walking near. i put her into a heel, i look at her and she looks at me, concentrates on me. I can multitask, she doesn't have to worry about that. And if touching my leg gives her more incentive and understand i want her as close as possible ill take it. I just figured it would be easier for her in that way but i dont really know. But if i am not looking at her, makes sense to have her look at my shoulder as opposed to my eyes since i would looking straight ahead, i never thought of that part.

But ya, Its not for competition, its for reality and everyday situations with a FA dog.

What if you cannot use food rewards misslesleedavis? I know she loves her flirtpole. But she doesnt care for any other toy enough to work for it.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I dont know. It took me hours of questions to find someone that would tell me the pointers.
Tyson will not work for toy rewards, he will occasionally work for food rewards so its hard to find what drives him. I am not in the boat with focused heeling people yet. Tyson heals and he has nailed the "here" command. Other then that I am having trouble with him transitioning.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
I dont know. It took me hours of questions to find someone that would tell me the pointers.
Tyson will not work for toy rewards, he will occasionally work for food rewards so its hard to find what drives him. I am not in the boat with focused heeling people yet. Tyson heals and he has nailed the "here" command. Other then that I am having trouble with him transitioning.
Ah okay, well thanks for the input!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I'm doing the transport, I want that leg touch, but only then. I try to get the dog to do contact heeling only during that time, and there is no 'focus on me' but on the helper.
It can be hard to train, but many dogs 'get it' and know they need to be in that place before they are rewarded(for us it is the helper coming into us for a nice bite)
Focus is a couple steps at a time, reward when the dogs looking at you and in position(food usually works best) I didn't push that on my dog til he was older and it was hard to get after the poor foundation I put on him. We ended up doing it with corrections...I bailed on him with a collar pop after I left him, he'd come into heel position with focus and get rewarded. I never corrected in the position, let him know the safe spot is right next to me, looking at me.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-23-2014 at 09:10 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
When I'm doing the transport, I want that leg touch, but only then. I try to get the dog to do contact heeling only during that time, and there is no 'focus on me' but on the helper.
It can be hard to train, but many dogs 'get it' and know they need to be in that place before they are rewarded(for us it is the helper coming into us for a nice bite)
Focus is a couple steps at a time, reward when the dogs looking at you and in position(food usually works best) I didn't push that on my dog til he was older and it was hard to get after the poor foundation I put on him. We ended up doing it with corrections...I bailed on him with a collar pop after I left him, he'd come into heel position with focus and get rewarded. I never corrected in the position, let him know the safe spot is right next to me, looking at me.
Ah thanks for this onyxgirl. I can put that to use in our training, once i can bring treats back into the game, it will be a lot smoother for the reward part.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog is far from being good at competition heeling... Yet he can focus on me and heel when i ask. I put a decent foundation on him of focusing on me in the stationary heel position and worked up from there.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.