German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   first day work the ecollar (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/484409-first-day-work-ecollar.html)

Germanshepherdlove 08-30-2014 06:44 PM

first day work the ecollar

Not sure if our first session went well or not. Just bought a dogtra 1500ncp off of eBay. I charged it for 3+hrs, but it died after only 30 minutes, so I'm not sure if it needs a new battery, maybe it just needs to be charged longer.

, I'm having trouble finding my boy's working level. I didn't see any reaction, just fur twitching at level 40 (out of 100). Shortly after, it was dying, so we just went on a walk.

Any advice? I tried to do some recall work (per Lou castles protocol) so I turned down a bit from 40, but I didn't think he was feeling it.

I think he wore an ecollar at the rescue, but I'm not sure what his experience was. When he tried another brand, he didn't feel the stim until 5 out of 7. So I don't know if 40 is just the level to work at or not. I don't want to fry the boy!

onyx'girl 08-30-2014 07:44 PM

If the collar isn't working correctly, please don't start training him on it. Dogtra's are known for their inconsistent stim. Especially the older models.
I have a newer model 2300ncp and can feel it at 18, my dogs level is around 35 when not in a high state of drive. It has the 2 hour recharge feature.

Germanshepherdlove 08-30-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5965809)
If the collar isn't working correctly, please don't start training him on it. Dogtra's are known for their inconsistent stim. Especially the older models.
I have a newer model 2300ncp and can feel it at 18, my dogs level is around 35 when not in a high state of drive. It has the 2 hour recharge feature.

The collar is working,I could see the dogs hair twitch. It was the remote part that got a low battery. The dog just wasn't showing any signs other than the hair twitch that he felt it, so I'm not sure what level he feels it at.

I have never heard that dogtras are inconsistent :/

onyx'girl 08-30-2014 08:23 PM

You should start low then, with commands he knows and is proofed on. If you don't know his level, time to back up. Be fair to him.

Germanshepherdlove 08-30-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5965993)
You should start low then, with commands he knows and is proofed on. If you don't know his level, time to back up. Be fair to him.

That doesn't follow the protocol. You find their working level first and teach them how to "turn off" the stim, then you introduce the commands.

onyx'girl 08-30-2014 08:44 PM

So then how are you finding the working level? From your posts, you don't know it yet?

Nigel 08-30-2014 08:47 PM

If the collar is an older unit it may have the NiMH batteries that require a minimum 10 hr charge, Lithium polymer batteries 2 hrs. If you can figure out which battery your unit has, you can figure out if it needs to be charged longer or if replacement is needed.

Germanshepherdlove 08-30-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5966145)
So then how are you finding the working level? From your posts, you don't know it yet?

By seeing when he first feels it, which he's not showing me.

Germanshepherdlove 08-30-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5966169)
If the collar is an older unit it may have the NiMH batteries that require a minimum 10 hr charge, Lithium polymer batteries 2 hrs. If you can figure out which battery your unit has, you can figure out if it needs to be charged longer or if replacement is needed.

Thanks ! It is an older unit, so I will leave it charging over night.

lalachka 08-30-2014 10:27 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove (Post 5966273)
By seeing when he first feels it, which he's not showing me.

You said you saw a twitch. That's him showing you.

ETA the level at which you first saw the twitch is his working level