German Shepherds Forum banner

Training treats? Freshpet vital grain free complete Meals

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Athena'sMom 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I took the boy, Moofie, to PetsMart for another puppy bath and brush prior to class today. And then spent the time they were working on him blowing my wad (not hard to do).

Anyway, I picked up a package of Blue training treats, and while the ingredients weren't thrilling, it was 4 ounces for something like 5.99, I was going to try it.

Then I got to this refrigerator in the middle of the store. I checked the treats, but then, I looked at the complete meal. The treats were longer and larger and the Chicken, Beef, Salmon & Egg recipe looked just the right size and much better in ingredients. $11.49 for a 1.75 pound bag. Geeze.

But then, I thought, it's a lot more stuff than that little container of Blue. I put that back.

The ingredients are as follows:
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef, Salmon, Eggs, Cranberries, Spinach, Peas, Vitamins and Minerals ( Calcium Sulfate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxin Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite), Natural Flavors, Salt, Vinegar, Carrageenan, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Dried Ground Pomegranate, Dried Ground Broccoli.

Protein 17% min, Crude fat 9% min, Crude Fiber 1% max, Moisture 65%.

We make all Freshpet Vital recipes in the Freshpet kitchens in Bethlehem, PA, using locally sourced ingredients.

80% Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef, Salmon & Egg
10% Fruits and Vegetables.
0% grains and potatoes.

Complete and Balanced for all life stages.

It says to finish the contents within 7 days of opening.

Ok. Well, I would LOVE to feed this stuff for regular food but $11.49/day, x the number of dogs I have, that would be crazy expensive, but for training treats?

So 4.99 or 5.99 for 4 ounces of the Blue. Hmmm. So I decided to find something that was a little closer in size to this, and checked out a pretty large bag of Pupperoni. $11.99 for 710 grams. This stuff is $11.49 for 794 grams.

Ok, I'm cheating. After class I took the bag home, and filled sandwich baggies and froze it. So I could use it for the remainder of this class.

The stuff smells wonderful. I bought a little treat bag so it wouldn't be fouling my pocket. I had some trouble with that, but, whatever. Moofie LOVES it. And no sugar or maple syrup or artificial sweeteners to make it more appealing.

I guess I will no longer buy any pupperoni. I will buy this stuff, even if I have to use the bag in a week. You have to keep it in the fridge but that isn't a deal stopper for me. I mean, I don't let treats hang out in my pocket all day.

It's just neat that it is a treat Made and sourced in the US, that doesn't cost more than the Pupperoni. But it isn't called a treat of course. It is called a complete meal.

If you are looking for a good training treat, try this stuff.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hans goes absolutely crazy over it and it does appear to have decent ingredients.

This has taken the place of dried beef liver treats he used to love.

I invested in a little treat pouch that you can wipe out.

It's kind of nice, to reach in my pocket and NOT come up with a bunch of liver treats I forgot and left in there.

Especially, if I am in line to pay for something and they are expecting money. :D

#3 ·
Thanks for the info on the treats. I have occasionally purchased their slice and serve to supplement the kibble at mealtimes. It is 5 star on dog food advisor. I am assuming the treats would be highly rated as well. Kibble as training treats doesn't do much to keep Indie's interest. I will give these a try. Wondering if they are even cheaper at wally world - that's where I buy the slice and serve.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
They sell this stuff at Wally World??? I'm outta here! I will definitely buy that there. I have to go up and buy a hose. Mine burst today and ran my well dry. Whatever. I have to check out our WalMart and see if they have this there.

#5 ·
I might have misunderstood...I bought the slice and serve and cut it up into little pieces to use as treats.

I've never actually used their treats.

I can't use it up in seven days, so our little foodie girl Cowdog will gladly make anything left disappear!

When I first gave it to Hans during training, I thought he was gonna knock me down to get it, lol.

Talk about high value treats!

#6 · (Edited)
No, this formula is cut into perfect treat size, but is actually a balanced, complete meal. So I am not feeding treats, just feeding it as treats. And yes, it kept the boy on his A-Game for the whole class.

Yeah, the 7 days thing, but I can't see why I can't freeze it. It stays good in the sealed bag until December if refrigerated. So I am guessing some for of vacuum packing? Well, I went ahead and froze some. If it does something freaky, I can probably spend 11 bucks a week for training treats, but I will use it for more than the little bugger.

#7 ·
I use both. the ones I cut and the ones already in pieces. love it. too much salt but decent ingredients and convenient

and yes, I do freeze it once opened or once cut up. and then don't even thaw all the way, it thaws as we stay out but he likes it frozen too. this is a step up from red barn rolls. more expensive but better stuff

#8 ·
My dogs love that stuff. I buy the kind in the roll, and mix it in with their kibble sometimes. Sage will ALWAYS eat it. I've thought about getting the small pieces in the bag to train with. Glad to know it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.