questions about e-collar functions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Default questions about e-collar functions

** These questions were posted by lalachka in another thread. ADMIN

few questions. what's the point of 100 levels? it's nice to have the first 20 to find the low working level but after that I think 10 levels would do. is there really a difference between 42 and 43 or 76 and 77? I'm sure there's a slight difference in stim but what's a scenario where you'd choose 76 over 77? I find myself just picking numbers around 30 for emergencies (never went higher)

I'm just starting out, have some patience if you're going to explain

and another. I asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer. how do people know the stim isn't consistent and what does that mean? it stims sometimes and doesn't other times? or the levels aren't consistent?
if it's the levels then how do you find that out?
lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

lalachka,

When using the collar as a way to guide the dog into a behavior, instead of just a correction collar, you want the ability to be able to subtly adjust the stim level up and down depending on the response from the dog. Simple explanation.

Inconsistent stim:

Say I am working on attention. I found the dog's working level, maybe 15 today, the dog looks away and I give them a correction, they give me attention, but then something distracts them again. I give them another correction and they jump or yelp or cry. I have changed nothing, but all of a sudden the stim is too high. I don't like that and have had it happen time and again with certain collars. This is just a simple answer and describes the use of the collar for corrections and not when guiding the dog into position. I have also had problems when looking for the right level to start, have the dog show no indication of feeling the collar, go up slightly and they yelp. That is lack of consistency.

I have been using e-collars for different reasons for over 13 years so am not inexperienced (bought my first collar from Lou and he was also my first teacher). I want consistency so I am fair to my dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh lol I really thought that some people test the levels on themselves. I am not that calibrated

about the first part. yeah i understand the need to fine tune the lower levels. but once you get past 30, does the dog really feel a difference between 40 and 41? it seems at those levels it's used for corrections (no?) and fine tuning isn't needed.

but Steve Strom explained it. it's the way the dials are made. thst makes sense.
if once it went past 30 each level would mean 10 levels (31 for 40, 32 for 50, 33 for 60) it would be easy to go way too high with that kind of a dial if you're trying to set a level fast.

unless I misunderstood again
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My trainer always says, the number doesn't matter. It's finding the place where they respond appropriately.
I know that my dog will sit at 30 no questions asked at home. But when we are in group class, then I need to up her to around 40-45 to get a response.
When she is in prey mode, I might need to hit 80. But I don't look at the dial while correcting. I check it after out of sheer curiosity.
hev1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.