Feeding my GSD after we eat how long do I do this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeding my GSD after we eat how long do I do this?

Hi, I have been using all these forms and getting great answers! Yet I can't find the answer to this question.

We adopted Max a 10month old GSD, from a rescue a little over a week ago, every thing is going great. We started right away with setting Alfa roles, one rule we have been following is feeding him after we eat. This is working but my question is how long do I have to continue this? (He came to us as a submissive dog)

With my older dogs what was easiest for us was feeding them first thing in the morning, then get ready for the day, and after getting the kids ready then our selfs we would then take our dogs out for a walk or a hike. It would be about an hour or a bit more after the dogs have eaten. I would like to get back to that routine, especially with school starting again. (Our kids school is next to some amazing trails!)

I guess I have one more question. At dinner my kids take FOEVER to finish a meal, do I have to wait till everyone is done eating to feed Max?

Again thanks so much! This group had been great!
CJ8Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Personally I feed my dogs as soon as I get up in the morning and get home in the late afternoon, so yes they eat before me most of the time or at the same time. Both dogs are fed at the same time, sometimes Jazzy gets her bowl first and sometime Delgado does. I would rather have the dog fed and content then sitting nearby begging or waiting impatiently. They can be taught to be patient and quiet but really it's a little thing.

Try feeding the dog first or at the same time and see what happens. If the dog is happy and quiet and it makes your life easier then you have your answer Worst case scenario - you continue to stick to your routine for a little while longer

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The first thing I do in the morning is let my dogs out to potty and then I feed them right away. When it's dinner time, I always feed my animals before I feed myself.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feed our dogs before I start serving dinner, and then they have to go to their beds until we're done. This way I don't have to worry about having them underfoot or begging at the table. They're trained to get random treats by going to their beds too, if I'm getting a snack for myself and they want me to share the cheese I also feed them first thing in the morning, so they've had time to digest before we head out to swim or whatever we're up to.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Feed Max when it's convenient for you. Since we tend to eat dinner later, I almost always feed the dogs before we eat.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have five dogs at home. I do everything I can to make feeding time a non-event. My dogs always eat between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. It all depends on if they are working that evening or not. Many times during the week, I'm eating on the fly - so I'll grab a bite while I'm fixing their food! LOL!

I live in South Texas - it gets so hot here during the day. I rarely do anything with the dogs during the day - so we have to work during the evening.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dogs get fed breakfast first thing in the morning, a few hours before we leave for work so that they have time to digest and have a little play time before being crated for the day. In the evenings, they get fed around 7:00, since we tend to work them right after we get home. We usually eat later.

Feeding time isn't really viewed as a hierarchy in our house, but more of a scheduling/convenience thing. I don't really think it means a whole lot in terms of "alpha"... feed Max whenever is comfortable for you and him.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post

Feeding time isn't really viewed as a hierarchy in our house, but more of a scheduling/convenience thing.

It is at my house....but just between the humans.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Roxy eats her meals WITH us ...she's part of the family
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I prepare my dogs food before I make mine

Sometimes we even make him his own portion of human food. He'll get his own steak and sit at the dinner table (on the floor) and eat with us. He's definitely alpha
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.