Is training for protection a waste? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Is training for protection a waste?

I just got into a discussion with one of my buddies about this question. Would training a dog for protection just a be waste and more of a liability?

Let's say if a stranger came onto your property for their own reasons and your dog (titled IPO3) deemed the stranger to be a threat, attacked the stranger. By law, the dog would be considered a vicious animal and potentially be PTS. What's the point then? Anyone have experience in this or any additional information?
GSDkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've seen a post about something similar happening. The owner had all the paperwork for the pups protection training. The pup was put on detention for like 2-3 years. I don't remember what the detention terms entailed.

Fascinating question!!!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think you're confused about the difference between IPO training & protection training.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
I think you're confused about the difference between IPO training & protection training.
You are absolutely right on that! But you get what I'm trying to say.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depends on the laws in your area. I personally don't want my dog to maul anyone who comes in the house if I'm not home. I want them to bite when i tell them to, or when I'm obviously in dire need of help. In my state, if someone enters my home, vehicle, or place of business while I am there with the intent to cause death, great bodily injury, or the commit a violent crime, I can apply deadly force with immunity from criminal or civil prosecution.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First of all…your dog would not be considered dangerous. The laws in most states basically allow your dog to do anything on your property. If you actually try to look up REAL court cases where people got bit on someone’s property, you’ll see that the courts side with the land owner. The person is in the wrong, trespassing (which by definition is being on someone else’s property without their permission), and they got bit, they aren’t going to win. The majority of the “my friend’s dad’s brother’s grandfather’s dog was PTS after he protected them from an invader in the house” stories are false. Someone asked this question a bit ago, someone claimed to have known someone that got in trouble when their dog attacked a burglar, when I asked them to look up the case (if you know the person’s last name involved in the case it just takes a quick google search), they didn’t because it’s more than likely it didn’t exist because it never happened.

A lot of the stories you see about a dog biting someone in the house and then the thief or intruder suing the person is just the original filed lawsuit…which basically means some lawyer decided to charge a person $400 an hour to file a lawsuit and give it a go. The articles tend to not update people on the outcome of the lawsuit. Interesting right? Well, people see the lawsuit and think automatically the plaintiff wins. Well they rarely, if ever, do.

So at the end of the day…I can say with 99% confidence that if a protection trained dog bit someone that was truly a threat on private property, nothing would happen to the dog. Now…if the dog came off its property because you didn’t restrain it properly and bit an innocent passerby…different story. But what you’ll see is that protection or IPO trained dogs are extremely well controlled, those dogs don’t tend to just run around terrorizing the neighborhood, and their owners tend to also keep an eye on them a little better than your average dog owner. No one is leaving their bite trained dog alone in their unfenced front yard to have a go at it with whoever walks by.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
First of all…your dog would not be considered dangerous. The laws in most states basically allow your dog to do anything on your property. If you actually try to look up REAL court cases where people got bit on someone’s property, you’ll see that the courts side with the land owner. The person is in the wrong, trespassing (which by definition is being on someone else’s property without their permission), and they got bit, they aren’t going to win. The majority of the “my friend’s dad’s brother’s grandfather’s dog was PTS after he protected them from an invader in the house” stories are false. Someone asked this question a bit ago, someone claimed to have known someone that got in trouble when their dog attacked a burglar, when I asked them to look up the case (if you know the person’s last name involved in the case it just takes a quick google search), they didn’t because it’s more than likely it didn’t exist because it never happened.

A lot of the stories you see about a dog biting someone in the house and then the thief or intruder suing the person is just the original filed lawsuit…which basically means some lawyer decided to charge a person $400 an hour to file a lawsuit and give it a go. The articles tend to not update people on the outcome of the lawsuit. Interesting right? Well, people see the lawsuit and think automatically the plaintiff wins. Well they rarely, if ever, do.

So at the end of the day…I can say with 99% confidence that if a protection trained dog bit someone that was truly a threat on private property, nothing would happen to the dog. Now…if the dog came off its property because you didn’t restrain it properly and bit an innocent passerby…different story. But what you’ll see is that protection or IPO trained dogs are extremely well controlled, those dogs don’t tend to just run around terrorizing the neighborhood, and their owners tend to also keep an eye on them a little better than your average dog owner. No one is leaving their bite trained dog alone in their unfenced front yard to have a go at it with whoever walks by.
That is great info! I've been meaning to look more into this but thought I'd ask you all first. Your post gave me a bit more confidence in enrolling my boy into protection.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

It doesn't matter if your dog is trained in personal protection or trained to juggle balls. If it bites someone you'll have a headache. Yes they can absolutely sue. They won't win but they can waste your time. Your dog might get quarantined. Might get put on the dangerous dog list because it has a bite.

If your dog bites someone in public do I think the chances of the dog being put to sleep goes up because it's trained in bite sport? Yes I do.

The good thing is dogs in bite sports are usually the most stable dogs or have the most competent owners to keep them out of those situations.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Any way you go your dog is a liability.

As to how much, depends if you are in a strict liability state or not.

As to whether it's a waste of time or not, it depends on the dog, who owns the dog, and how the dog is trained.

You can't have a dog that bites on his own accord.
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Better to be judged by 12 then be carried out by 6.

Use the dog only when your safety is on the line period. Being alive to worry about lawsuits is still being alive.

I also dont understand people's need to broadcast that their dog is protection trained or whatever..lol. Keep it to yourself, if it comes out in the investigation after the incident (assuming there is one) then you deal with it at that time.
No need to go blabbing to your attackers lawyer and animal control about your awesome biting machine.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.