e collar leaving scabs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default e collar leaving scabs

We have started training with the ecollar. It seems to be a magical tool. Briggs is doing awesome and we are now able to take him off leash pretty much anywhere and the few issues we had with him are gone. Overall we are very happy with the training but he is now getting scabs on his neck. I don't understand why this is happening. It has never been turned up high. He just has never needed that. The trainer is not available on Sundays to ask. What am I doing wrong here? He looks forward to putting the collar on and going out to work but I'm afraid to put it on him. Poor guy.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Does he scratch at it? Some dogs will scratch at the collar from the stim. Also, I don't know how long he has the collar on at any one time but I have been told not to leave the collar on in the same place for more than 3 hrs. The probes may rub and cause discomfort, so I move it to the opposite side of the neck. Or move up or down but don't leave it in the same spot for long periods of time. The stim from the collar doesn't cause the scabbing. You also may have it too tight or in some cases too loose. I would just move it to the opposite side of the neck and then have the trainer take a look at it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Has he or does he get wet? Maybe he is getting a little irritation going on if he has a collar/probes on wet fur.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies. He does sometimes scratch at it but quickly stops when I tell him to. I do always put the collar on the opposite side of what I had it on before but the scabs are forming on both side. He does sometimes get wet. He loves water so he is in the pool or creek pretty much everyday. I wondered about scabs forming from the stim. I've had it up higher on myself than I ever have on him and I can't imagine that would be causing it. I'm thinking it comes down to the amount of time he is wearing the collar. He does not wear it if he is in the crate or at night. He has it on a lot because the big issue in the house is chasing the cats. We have made a ton of progress on that one. No collar this morning and no chasing cats!
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

As others mentioned - the scabs are not from the stim, but from the rubbing of the contacts. How long does he have the collar on at a time? If he has it on all day, you need to re-position it every few hours to prevent irritation.

Is this the type of collar that has a ring for the leash? Do you use the leash attached to the e-collar? I've been taught to not use the e-collar for the leash attachment, as the extra pulling/rubbing can cause irritation. Have a regular collar for the leash in addition to the e-collar.

Another thought is that he may have a local allergic reaction to the metal on the prongs - not sure what to suggest if that is the case.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

You may want to consider switching to the Surface Conductor Grid. It removes direct contact with the skin.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
You may want to consider switching to the Surface Conductor Grid. It removes direct contact with the skin.

David Winners
Hmmm. This is interesting. Rocket still wears his backpacking because, well, we've never proofed a direct bear encounter with him. He sometimes gets a scab too, I always attributed it to him being wet and his coat so thick that it irritates it. I'll have to look into it. I'm assuming Dogtra has one?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Contact Point SCG-401K

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you David.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Hey David, have you used one? It says not recommended for long fur or coat? That kinda sounds like a shepherd. It looks like it would be tough to work it through the coat to make contact.

Rocketdog, have you ever tried putting the contacts to one side or the other a little and cinching it really tight? I find it easier to keep it stable like that and I may be wrong, but I've always thought the skin isn't quite as tender there.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.