Would you use an e-collar on a dog with epilepsy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Would you use an e-collar on a dog with epilepsy?

I don't know it this is a health question or a training question. I do know it's probably a dumb question and to me seems like a no brainer but I have my boyfriend and our 3 roommates on my back to look into an e-collar for my younger dog. She was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy last year. It is well controlled with medication, we have had 8 months with no seizures. To me it seems very dangerous to her health but they (bf + roomies) are fed up with her bad behavior and me for not punishing her. I tell them that I never catch her in the act so punishment would be useless, so they want her to wear an e collar to be corrected from a distance. I figured I would come here to ask the experienced people, if nothing else to prove to them I'm not just talking out of my butt or trying to baby her by making up excuses for her not to wear the collar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Sarah,

I feel for two reasons this is a bad idea. Let's begin with Humans. The Electric Convulsive Therapy, ECT is used; TO CAUSE SEIZURES IN THE BRAIN. This is the main function, thus destroying bad memories. Now, your happy, your brain has been fried, to death.. DANGER !!!

With that being said, let's switch to dogs. I am all for E - collars if you and anyone (WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE REMOTE) is specifically trained professionally to use that method. I have a trainer ex-cop who swears they are safe and effective. I do not own one or two of them yet > !

Your roommates are not professionally trained. They don't have a clue how or when to use the E - Collar. The damage is going to be worse then the damage of them being angry and rightly so, your not doing enough to curb the issues they are complaining about, severe or not. If you can't correct the animals bad habits and correct them yourself, asking them to do so will undermine everything you've do thus far correctly.

Just give your roommates a live grenade and when the dog barks excessively, throw it at the dog. This is a joke !! Don't do this. I am trying to make a point.

Move and live alone !!!!

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
Sarah,

I feel for two reasons this is a bad idea. Let's begin with Humans. The Electric Convulsive Therapy, ECT is used; TO CAUSE SEIZURES IN THE BRAIN. This is the main function, thus destroying bad memories. Now, your happy, your brain has been fried, to death.. DANGER !!!

With that being said, let's switch to dogs. I am all for E - collars if you and anyone (WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE REMOTE) is specifically trained professionally to use that method. I have a trainer ex-cop who swears they are safe and effective. I do not own one or two of them yet > !

Your roommates are not professionally trained. They don't have a clue how or when to use the E - Collar. The damage is going to be worse then the damage of them being angry and rightly so, your not doing enough to curb the issues they are complaining about, severe or not. If you can't correct the animals bad habits and correct them yourself, asking them to do so will undermine everything you've do thus far correctly.

Just give your roommates a live grenade and when the dog barks excessively, throw it at the dog. This is a joke !! Don't do this. I am trying to make a point.

Move and live alone !!!!

SGCSG
Yikes, didn't think about ECT. Do you think it has the same effect on dogs?

And no my roommates are not professionally trained, they have never trained any dog before but feel very qualified to tell me how to train mine :/

They don't want to zap her, they want ME to. I would never let them do it even if they did because they would probably shock her on a really high level and for a long time because they got upset with her.

Basically this is all about her stealing food. I clean the counters off every day and constantly remind them to keep an eye on their food or put it away. But there are 5 people in the house and I have a full time job, I don't have eyes in the back of my head and as soon as they set food down and look away she's on it. Even with them standing right there! I say DROP IT and she does, then bolts before my roommates can catch her. They think she needs a spanking and I'm too soft for not doing it. I just don't see the point of chasing her in circles around the house to catch her and spank her well after the actual thing she did that was bad.

She KNOWS it's bad. She gets in trouble for it several times a day and always looks guilty when we look at her with food in her mouth. Sometimes she drops it before I even tell her to. It's to the point Eko even knows she's not allowed and bites the back of her neck gently when she starts to sniff food to redirect her. I put a leash on her to keep her with me but I was yelled at because apparently that's dumb and I shouldn't have to do that. They said if I won't chase her down to punish her then I need an e-collar to get her while she's eating the food to show her it's bad.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

So how are you supposed to be able to correct this with an e-collar if you are at work? I guess I'm confused. I would say your dog shouldn't have freedom to sneak around the house if you're not there and might need to be confined unless someone is willing to watch her better. This really boils down to lack of management of the environment on your roommates' part. It is self-rewarding to a food hog so of course she continues to do it when people obligingly leave food out for her.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

She does not really think that far ahead. You could just put her in your bedroom while you are gone and cannot supervise her. Honestly, considering the liability of owning a GSD and the possible things that could go wrong in a houseful of roomates that is what I would do.

Oh, nope, we don't spank dogs. We don't hit dogs. Thank you very much. And she does not know it is bad........she knows that when she is caught with food in her mouth she gets punished. Big difference.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Too late to edit but

I see it is the ABPT - same thing, if you can't supervise the dog directly and have that kind of mentality in the house, put them up while you are gone. You have no control for what happens and all of the accountability if anything does.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

How about installing a baby gate at the kitchen entrance? That's what we did to deter a mischievous blind dog with a penchant for theft -- his nose gets him into trouble, so he doesn't get access to the kitchen.

Your roomies sound like petulant children. I hope you don't give them an opportunity to abuse your dog and can move someday soon. They sound like dolts for not putting their food away when there's a counter-surfer in the house -- setting the dog up to fail. THEY are reinforcing the dog's behavior and blaming you for not beating or shocking an epileptic dog -- not cool.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Keep your dog in your room when you are not able to supervise her.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm not a qualified animal medical person to answer the question about using the e-collar on a dog that is prone to seizures. In my mind, I would be against it. There are other paths of training that may take longer but can give good results.

As far as the roommate thing. This sounds like a bad situation for this dog. It can be very confusing for the dog when there are multiple people yelling commands at the dog. It doesn't probably know which way is up. Another thing is, know one and I mean know one lays a hand on my dog period. Dog learns absolutely nothing from it. The dog if it's yours is your responsibility to train the dog appropriately. Not the others. Chasing is just a game for the dog too. Let's see, if I steal this food, I get chased and chase equals attention. You need to gain control of your dog, that means the dog needs to be with you. It doesn't let the others off the hook by leaving food laying around within the dogs reach. Dog should be crated when your at work to keep them safe and out of trouble.

This is just not an optimal situation for this dog compounded by it's medical situation. Get to a trainer and see what can he done.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know the answer to your question. I do know the reason you gave is totally inappropriate use of a Ecollar.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.