help with 150% prey driven walks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Exclamation help with 150% prey driven walks

I could sugar coat this right now but won't. I am typing with a wrapped wrist and hand because during our nice relaxing walk last night Roxy spotted something out of the corner of her eye and was gone. When I say she was gone I also mean that I was gone too...I will go down breaking a hip before I let go of her leash and lose her. All I can remember is being helped by the other pack walkers whose dogs obviously missed whatever it was. ( I will assume a rabbit or deer but I won't be 100% sure ever)
Luckily it happened on grass and not the cement we had just left.
We have gained soooooooooooo much ground in the last few months...there are a lot of you who have been on this walking nightmare/honeymoon journey with me. I am not sure what happened last night.
How do you respond? I couldn't correct her..it happened to fast and all I was trying to do once it dawned on me I was going to get hurt was hang on to the leash and try to roll with it. I landed on my hand and am pretty sure it's jammed up to the last bunch of knuckles...will see my chiro later today.
I didn't scold her...it was over. Do I go back to the prong collar or would that have even stopped her in this mind boggling episode?
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, go back to the prong collar.

Have you ever used a clicker to teach her to release to the pressure of hte leash?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Jax -- do you think in that instance a prong collar would have helped? Or just chocked her?? We had moved on from the prong and was doing so good.I am open to anything right now..I can't do this again. I did use a clicker when we first started training but haven't used it for a few months now
Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It would have given her a really good correction! Here's the problem, she took off and you got hurt. She had no correction for it because it was self rewarding. So yes, I think most likely the prong would have helped. Put it back on her and get your clicker back out. And work on proofing the behavior you want (not chasing) by having someone throw balls and taking her places specifically to proof for such things as squirrels and wildlife.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I was working with mine with his dog reactivity the trainers always told me to always watch the dog and always keep them focused on you. If they aren't focused on you they are looking for trouble. The prong collar would help, at the very least slow the dog down.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
It would have given her a really good correction! Here's the problem, she took off and you got hurt. She had no correction for it because it was self rewarding. So yes, I think most likely the prong would have helped. Put it back on her and get your clicker back out. And work on proofing the behavior you want (not chasing) by having someone throw balls and taking her places specifically to proof for such things as squirrels and wildlife.
Pretty much prong. No point in getting a clicker back out at this point as the dog knows what to do she just doesnt necessarily care. If she took off shed have hit the end of the leash and the prong would have nailed her good. If you marked with a no and even punished with prong after to nail the point home it would have been ideal.

Never taking your eyes off the dog is not a bad idea either. You missed signs of her loading up for chase.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Agree with above. Cruz has a high prey drive also, but he went after whatever moved. Cars were bad at one point. We are still working through some things, but after using a tool to correct problem behaviors, he no longer even looks at cars. Birds was another he leaves alone now. As soon as he gets that focuse on whatever, it's a correction with an "off" command and praise after doing the command correctly. I also watch his focus as we walk cause he has done the same thing to me that has happened to you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

baliff -- totally agree with EVERYTHING except there was NO warning....all the dogs were in a line formation ...going great....BAM I can not even explain how fast this happened...Normally I do see a chase coming and have been able to pull her back..do the NO, LEAVE it......this time there was NO warning. I swear to the deity of your choice...she caught this out of the corner of her eye and it even caught her off guard but the instinct to chase was too strong
Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

the other walkers and their dogs were like what the **** just happened.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I am tempted to get a pair of horse blinders .... but I will do as you all suggest and get the prong back out. Have any of you used the leashes that attach around your waist? I have one of those I used to use...not sure if that would have made the situation last night better or worse. I guess I better put all the weight back on I lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.