Sit Means Sit training/collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sit Means Sit training/collar

Just went and had a consult with them, it was pretty cool. Anyone ever done training with them?

You basically buy a package, which is pricey, but you get the collar with a life time guarantee and free classes for life.

They said they want you to wean the dog off the collar in 6 months. I felt it on my hand and it didn't hurt. It felt like the device they put on my shoulders at physical therapy.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sit Means Sit? I think I'm going to do it. The trainers seem awesome and their dogs on really good. They said that they will do payment plans, so that helps.

I have had no experience with any type of electronic collars before.
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I had a friend (we are both military families) that when she bought her shock collars she made everyone of her family members put it on their neck to see what it felt like for the dog. Sorry if this is a little off your point, just reminded me when you said you tried it on your hand. I have no experience with them but I haven't had to either thankfully.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not a fan. At all.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
Not a fan. At all.

Of the company or the Ecollar?
From what I read they're mostly force training and their lifetime guarantee is not exactly what you think it is
Yelp them. Problem is that it's a franchise so you don't know if your franchise is good or bad.
I wouldn't but that's me

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
From what I read they're mostly force training and their lifetime guarantee is not exactly what you think it is
Yelp them. Problem is that it's a franchise so you don't know if your franchise is good or bad.
I wouldn't but that's me

What do you mean by force training?

The trainer I saw was using the collar like a tap on the shoulder. He would tap it, then give the dog a treat.

I looked up his reviews online and they were all really really good.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes. I used them. I would recommend them if anyone was insistent on e-collar training. It was a last resort for me. I tried to exhaust other options first. But it's an effective training tool as long as it's not abused. Meaning, do exactly what the trainer says. No exceptions. Ask questions.

It's an individual choice for the owner. Every dog is different. Yours may not even need this tool. I don't know, as I don't know your situation. I would not let others feelings persuade your decision as this topic gets very spirited on this board. You have to do what fits your situation.

As far as Sit Means Sit goes, my trainer was very good at teaching us and the dog. I have a very hard dog. Positive training did not have the desired effect. So we went with Sit Means Sit. I am also going to sign up for the lifetime sessions also. Just to make sure I have an outside view making sure I am not making mistakes. Only fair to the dog if your going to use this tool. I have seen no downsides to this method with my dog. But again, that is my dog. Just follow what the trainer says to the letter.

jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Sit Means Sit training/collar

Force meaning that they start with force (Ecollar). Whether they also give him treats doesn't matter.

The style I like is to not use force almost at all while you're teaching the dog what commands mean. Then, later, much later, when tons of work has been done and the dog knows what everything means and refuses to comply - force is used to show him that he must.

Since they're limited on time (few sessions) almost by definition that means they're going to be using force to teach.

It's all about your goals though. Not everyone wants to or can afford to wait months to teach a dog the basic stuff. So they might work for you

Last edited by lalachka; 06-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I wouldn't but that's me
For purposes of this discussion I meant SMS specifically.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Yes. I used them. I would recommend them if anyone was insistent on e-collar training. It was a last resort for me. I tried to exhaust other options first. But it's an effective training tool as long as it's not abused. Meaning, do exactly what the trainer says. No exceptions. Ask questions.

It's an individual choice for the owner. Every dog is different. Yours may not even need this tool. I don't know, as I don't know your situation. I would not let others feelings persuade your decision as this topic gets very spirited on this board. You have to do what fits your situation.

As far as Sit Means Sit goes, my trainer was very good at teaching us and the dog. I have a very hard dog. Positive training did not have the desired effect. So we went with Sit Means Sit. I am also going to sign up for the lifetime sessions also. Just to make sure I have an outside view making sure I am not making mistakes. Only fair to the dog if your going to use this tool. I have seen no downsides to this method with my dog. But again, that is my dog. Just follow what the trainer says to the letter.

Thank you for your feedback. I have a hard dog, and I have a ton of trouble getting his focus. The trainer said we would be using the collar like a tap on the shoulder to get his focus. I have been using positive methods for months. My dog can do all kinds of things, but he can't focus outside and around other dogs. No amount of treats or toys can get his focus. I want to be able to walk him with out him dragging me randomly or lunging toward people for pets. I also want him to be off of the leash. I have been working on this for months. He can be super off of the leash, but he will also run off and he knows I can't get to him then.

He said the tap on the collar should be associated with something positive like a treat or toy. That is just a tap to get their attention on you.

I just want to be able to have fun with my dog and not worry about him being naughty or not listening. I train with him every day and put so much work in. That being said,I don't want to be mean to him either.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lol...people calling their dogs hard. Classic.

Hard doesn't mean the dog is immune to corrections with other tools. An electric shock/buzz isn't any more painful of a correction than a prong.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.