German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   what to do with a dog that shuts down/leash corrections (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/457826-what-do-dog-shuts-down-leash-corrections.html)

Germanshepherdlove 06-06-2014 01:34 PM

what to do with a dog that shuts down/leash corrections

My boy is okay on the leash, but he can pull me very hard. Usually it's just a jerk to the side or he stops and I keep walking. Although, he will pull toward people and other dogs,I can hold him, but it's a lot of jerking on my arms.

Right now I just use a flat collar and give little pops on the leash when he pulls. After a while he will walk a little better, but I can't get him to focus on me or take treats after I have corrected him. Right now it feels like we are just managing, not really getting any better.

I don't really like the idea of a prong, but I have a choke chain I might try.

How do I get his attention back to me? He just shuts down and his expression seems to go blank. I don't correct him very hard, I'm actually pretty weak in my arms and grip strength.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sunflowers 06-06-2014 01:40 PM

How old is the dog?

Germanshepherdlove 06-06-2014 01:43 PM

2-3 yo. No issues with fear of any kind people, dogs, situations. Not a shy dog, he's very playful and can be down right pushy.

kiya 06-06-2014 02:07 PM

A choke chain can damage the dogs throat and neck. A prong does not.

martemchik 06-06-2014 02:25 PM

It’s possible that he shuts down because the strength you need to correct with a flat collar…is extreme. I don’t actually think I can “correct” my dog on a flat collar without some type of hanging or cutting off of the air or blood flow. His pain tolerance is high, and a flat collar correction is just annoying. A prong, all it takes is a slight pop and he gets the point, he gets rewarded for doing what is asked, he’s happy again, and we move on.

If he’s pulling, and you don’t know how to use a prong or want to…you should start the “change direction game.” At that age…you’re going to have a hard time shaping a behavior, or getting focus without someone teaching you how to do it. But what you can do is that the moment that leash goes tight, turn around and walk the other way. Then again, then again. If you end up taking 3 steps and the dog just starts pulling forward again, turn around and walk the other way. If it takes 20 or more turns within 3 squares of a sidewalk, do it. You’ll look dumb, but eventually your dog will get the fact that pulling doesn’t get him where he wants to go, but he’ll eventually get to where he wants to go if he walks at YOUR pace.

Msmaria 06-06-2014 02:48 PM

My dog is 15 months old and very similar. I can coreect him with an "ah ah" he so soft. Like yours hes not a fearful dog. Leash corrections sometimes shut him down. Although my son can leash correct him and hes fine. I bring a squeeky ball with me and it perks him right up, sometimes he just needs a lets play break.

HOBY 06-06-2014 04:37 PM

A large link cc is a better choice, but the prong is far and away the best choice. One needs to be taught how to use it. Try turning to the left at different speeds, it makes the dog stay inside your step and allows more control. Use your body or legs to keep him in line. Turning to the right allows him more room and a chance to pull away tight on the leash.

Steve Strom 06-06-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove (Post 5610178)
My boy is okay on the leash, but he can pull me very hard. Usually it's just a jerk to the side or he stops and I keep walking. Although, he will pull toward people and other dogs,I can hold him, but it's a lot of jerking on my arms.

Right now I just use a flat collar and give little pops on the leash when he pulls. After a while he will walk a little better, but I can't get him to focus on me or take treats after I have corrected him. Right now it feels like we are just managing, not really getting any better.

I don't really like the idea of a prong, but I have a choke chain I might try.

How do I get his attention back to me? He just shuts down and his expression seems to go blank. I don't correct him very hard, I'm actually pretty weak in my arms and grip strength.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It could be how it looks to him when you're correcting him, remember its his perception of it that matters. Whatever collar, the emotion you show when you pop him could have him wanting to get out of there.

Nagging is another problem when you get in a cycle of correction after correction without them being effective. You'd be a lot better off with a prong or if you are absolutely against that, look into some of the different techniques of rewarding for leash manners and have a consistent plan, but I'd definitely look to change what you're doing now.

Longfisher 06-06-2014 05:11 PM

Prong, Turn Around Game, Verbal Commands

We avoided the prong to our frustration with Zeus. Then when he was 1.5 yrs. I'd had enough and put it on and played a game similar to the turn around game if he stepped in front of my hip.

Worked in 10 minutes. With a little repetition he's cured.

We're all better for it.

LF

Germanshepherdlove 06-06-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 5610450)
It’s possible that he shuts down because the strength you need to correct with a flat collar…is extreme. I don’t actually think I can “correct” my dog on a flat collar without some type of hanging or cutting off of the air or blood flow. His pain tolerance is high, and a flat collar correction is just annoying. A prong, all it takes is a slight pop and he gets the point, he gets rewarded for doing what is asked, he’s happy again, and we move on.

If he’s pulling, and you don’t know how to use a prong or want to…you should start the “change direction game.” At that age…you’re going to have a hard time shaping a behavior, or getting focus without someone teaching you how to do it. But what you can do is that the moment that leash goes tight, turn around and walk the other way. Then again, then again. If you end up taking 3 steps and the dog just starts pulling forward again, turn around and walk the other way. If it takes 20 or more turns within 3 squares of a sidewalk, do it. You’ll look dumb, but eventually your dog will get the fact that pulling doesn’t get him where he wants to go, but he’ll eventually get to where he wants to go if he walks at YOUR pace.

I already turn and go the other way, but that can be really hard if you actually have to get somewhere. My corrections are in no way extreme!