Gave in to the prong - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Gave in to the prong

DDog has started to outdo me in physical strength and was getting to be an issue with stuff he wanted and I didn't, while treats, distance etc. did not work in the real world.
After studying the prong videos from Leerburg and others I finally decided to open up my mind and order one from Leerburg in combination with their prong collar leash that I attach to his regular nylon buckle collar as well (not their choke nylon collar).
The result: a better behaved dog, much better focus and no more rodeo-ing with him in life-pops-up-situations. I still use treats and clicker and must say that the combination of both, previously thought as incompatible, work very well.
He accepted it right away but I make sure that I am still training him as a 6 month old pup, which he is.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Was as simple as this???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WEi9BfTIc

I screwed up my first dog with a prong! But... I did not know what I was doing!! So I started to change and quit using tools at all! That cost me with inter pack aggression and my GSD! That was a call for an E collar!

But for normal situations thinking "What am I doing wrong , instead of "what's wrong with this stupid dog" has worked out well!

So at that point I realized it's "not" about the tool it's about the user!

E collar was the tool I needed! But I guess I chose stitches in the hand instead!

So I expanded my horizions! No need for one now but if it ever happens again...!!!

Anyway I saw this:

I was stunned!! I though no way can it be that simple?? So how did it go with the prong is it "that" simple??
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Was as simple as this???
I was stunned!! I though no way can it be that simple?? So how did it go with the prong is it "that" simple??
I think it is about the way the user uses the tool. But the tool is just as important.
The video is realistic. It had the same effect with DDog. The video would have been more powerful if they had shown the dog before the new training.

I only started yesterday but there is a major change in his behavior in the house as well. Walks are more enjoyable without the constant, yo-yoing for pulling, all the treats etc. He suddenly is consistent with everything I have been teaching him so far.
I am going to implement this with my clients if needed.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Prong = power steering. I found that responses were crisper and quicker. Not all my dogs needed it. When I started to use it years ago I had to be trained to use it correctly.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Went from a prong to an e-collar. Prong worked well, but since I wasn't sure exactly how to train with it and I couldn't find a local trainer that would teach me to use it, I went with a trainer that used e-collars and haven't looked back. The prong hangs on the coat hook.

Main thing is, if it works and you don't abuse it, then use it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBY View Post
Prong = power steering. I found that responses were crisper and quicker. Not all my dogs needed it. When I started to use it years ago I had to be trained to use it correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Went from a prong to an e-collar. Prong worked well, but since I wasn't sure exactly how to train with it and I couldn't find a local trainer that would teach me to use it, I went with a trainer that used e-collars and haven't looked back. The prong hangs on the coat hook.

Main thing is, if it works and you don't abuse it, then use it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks guys right there is the "secret."

Know what your doing!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The prong is a great tool. It protects the dog as well as the owners. We used a prong regularly in training until Molly was almost 2 yrs old. Then I gradually did without it as she became better trained. My daughter always uses the prong as she has a weak right side and can only hold the leash with one hand, she needs that control in case of an emergency. Always better to be safe than sorry. Molly never holds a grudge against my daughter for putting on the prong, but really enjoys their adventurous walks together.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Many dogs you can wean off it in a couple of months if you have trained with it properly.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
Many dogs you can wean off it in a couple of months if you have trained with it properly.
That would be thought and expectation! When done correctly!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If youre clear and consistent and your leash fu is strong you can have the prong off a lot faster than that. Think days or weeks not months.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.