German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Should I hang up the Flexi for good? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/456226-should-i-hang-up-flexi-good.html)

CharlieB.Barkin 06-01-2014 10:06 PM

Should I hang up the Flexi for good?

I used to walk my dog with a Flexi. I have stopped using it on walks since mid-winter. I now how an assortment of nylon leashes and a Biothane leash that I bought 2 days ago and in that short time, it has become my favourite.

Now I only use the Flexi when I take my dog out so he can poop, etc. Should I stop doing this? Can going back and fourth undo some of his training?

Mishka&Milo 06-01-2014 10:16 PM

A flexi supplies constant pressure to the neck. It makes the dog less sensitive to your command. Personally, I hate them.... But used like a training lead (with the whole length let out and locked into place) I think it's okay. Just never use it to where there is any kind of constant pressure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

boomer11 06-01-2014 10:22 PM

If your dog is well behaved and walks with you then what's wrong with a flexi? If your dog pulls or you can't control the dog with your voice then use a regular leash.

CharlieB.Barkin 06-01-2014 10:26 PM

So normal leash it is, until I fix my dog's botched training.

Cara Fusinato 06-01-2014 11:26 PM

Flexi leashes are awful. There's the pressure, the inevitable flexi-leash burn when the cord nails someone, and it is hard on the hand/easy to jerk from the hand. Have your short, regular, and long leashes of choice and use depending on occasion. I have a short for close walking for crowds and such, regular for hikes and training class, and long for training class and fun in water and such. It only takes once for that Flexi to be jerked from your hand and go skittering across the pavement. For those of us with carpal tunnel, flexi-leash handles are just painful. Period.

selzer 06-02-2014 12:44 AM

I used one that my sister got me for Christmas a few years ago. I pulled it out of the packaging. It has a flashlight and a radio. But I did not want it for them. I wanted to put a sunscreen over the puppy pen, and thought I could clip it to the eyelet and then pitch the handle thing over the kennel fencing and and go out there and draw it over. It worked.

I have used some for holding doors or gates open. But mostly, I don't use them at all. If they snap, you can lose an eye. It is true that the dog constantly applies pressure, and I just don't trust that thumb switch to hold the dog back if it really wants to go for something. I use regular leashes, and that is enough area for most of what we do. When we are ready to go off-lead -- the only time I would consider a flexi -- well, then we go off-lead.

gsdsar 06-02-2014 12:54 AM

I use one when walking on the canal. Gives my dogs a bit more freedom when they have to be in a leash. It never has constant pressure on it. Use properly, like any tool, it's fine.

If your dog is charging around, hitting the end of it, then I would not use it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

AngelaA6 06-02-2014 03:14 AM

I only use a flexi out in the backyard (until I get a 30' lunge lead) for controlled potty breaks. Right now it's because my neighbor is working on the fence and I don't want Gunther wandering around his yard (Gunther doesn't seem to trust him and neither do I). Other than that it's a 3' nylon leash for normal walks/outings.

Shade 06-02-2014 08:19 AM

I have one for each dog, but the tape not the string. I've used it a handful of times, mostly when they're puppies and then just random times when I want them to have freedom but they still need to be on leash. It's nice to have it if ever needed

For everyday I use a 4' leather leash or a 6' nylon adjustable leash depending on what we're doing

blackshep 06-02-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5590938)
I used one that my sister got me for Christmas a few years ago. I pulled it out of the packaging. It has a flashlight and a radio. But I did not want it for them. I wanted to put a sunscreen over the puppy pen, and thought I could clip it to the eyelet and then pitch the handle thing over the kennel fencing and and go out there and draw it over. It worked.

I have used some for holding doors or gates open.

You get the award for the most creative uses for a flexi! :laugh: