What does "hanging a dog" mean for disciplining? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unfortunately I've known of several people who have hung dogs for not doing what they wanted. Purely because they were mad and frustrated at the dog, and not for aggression to the handler. There are a lot of stupid people out there.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Depends on the dog. Hanging because he's heeling crappy.. sure thats abusive. Hanging because he's trying to maul me. No, its training. When you have a serious dog on the end of a leash, about to seriously hurt you, show me a way to deal with it otherwise.
If I were to put on my positive only, never dealt with a dog with a real issue hat... I would say... Cookies!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Hanging because he's trying to maul me. No, its training. When you have a serious dog on the end of a leash, about to seriously hurt you, show me a way to deal with it otherwise.
Agreed, I would do that as well if it were to save my life/face. But I have seen too many people who use this as regular punishment.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Unfortunately I've known of several people who have hung dogs for not doing what they wanted. Purely because they were mad and frustrated at the dog, and not for aggression to the handler. There are a lot of stupid people out there.
Well yeah as you say "unfortunately!" there are a lot of stupid owners out there!

You have to be able to "outthink you dog" for some dog owners...that's a tall order!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had to "hang" 3 dogs. Two where no leash/collar involved and was a rear-naked choke to get control and submission to discipline in a dog attempting to bite me. One almost blacked out but did not. It was a long, arduous battle to the crate. He never tried to bite me again though. In every case I'm either already bleeding (probably how we got there in the first place) or bleeding once it's over. The dogs have never been worse for wear
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
If I were to put on my positive only, never dealt with a dog with a real issue hat... I would say... Cookies!
Not when all they want is filet d'handler with a side of "up yours I do what I want"
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If one finds themselves hanging a dog and in a rage at the same time it was likely excessive force. It works better if you remain calm and calmy repeat the command you need followed, which is nearly always "out"
Old 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OP, There's an example in this link/thread, its a post by David Winners about half way down the page that demonstrates how he does it.

In the start of the same thread there is a video on how not to do it.

Police Officer Accused of K9 Abuse
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
If one finds themselves hanging a dog and in a rage at the same time it was likely excessive force. It works better if you remain calm and calmy repeat the command you need followed, which is nearly always "out"
Sorry could not resist the smart ass impulse!

Not in disagreement with you! Most owners have never dealt with or seen a "red zone" dog! But Cookies can work... a 20 lbs sack of them and a smack across the face with the bag! Or a drag leash and a Dominant Dog collar, or an E collar and "Knowledge" of what your doing!"

I did none of this with my red zone dog! I got the stitches! Love my dog but pretty much I never recommend them to anyone! OS WL GSD,117 lbs at the time...Alha roll anyone???

Get a Shilo or King Shepherd is my recommendation to most folks!

Last edited by Chip18; 05-27-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

I was in a training class and the trainer hung a Husky for talking (like Huskies like to do). The dog lost consciousness, peed and pooped, got blue in the gums...I left the room at that point. Didn't go back. On the other hand, I've had a couple come up the leash at me and can see where it could be useful. But, not to the point of near death. It happened to my daughter who is an ICU RN. A patient choked her (carotid, not windpipe) and she did not feel it was peaceful at all, as she lost consciousness, she was in a panic, but unable to move due to lack of blood flow. Kept thinking, though. Had to have a carotid flow study because the trauma can cause carotid micro tears like aneurysms. Remarkable bruises.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.