German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Working dog Lifestyle (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/451898-working-dog-lifestyle.html)

Airman1stclass 05-19-2014 04:19 PM

Working dog Lifestyle

So I've been training with Sean Rivera for about a month now. Great trainer. Today I showed up for training about 45 mins early and took my dog walking and playing ball. He saw me playing with him and told me that I need to keep him caged up until it was time to train. So that way he can exert all his physical and mental energy into training. Even when I'm home, if I plan on doing a session with him I need to have him caged up a few hours prior to the session. It all makes since and that's what I'm going to start doing from now on but I would like to know what do you allow your working dog to do. Can he or she roam the house, do you let it sleep with you or lay on the couch, what is a typical day like for your working dog. Keep in my, my pup is only 4 months old.

misslesleedavis1 05-19-2014 04:29 PM

I have not been keeping up with the threads you post, what are you doing with your boy?

Curtis 05-19-2014 04:39 PM

My dog is a pet first who happens to be a working line who trains Schutzhund.

He roams the house freely, sleeps wherever he wants, sits on the couch if he wants.

The only thing I do differently on training day is skip his breakfast. I can understand not playing before training.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gsdsar 05-19-2014 04:41 PM

Everyone has different opinions on this. Here is mine.

My dogs are first and foremost my pets. Yes, they are working and sport dogs as well, but primarily my pets. They get to be loose in my house when I am home, they sleep on my bed, on the couch, play with each other.

If I have a training planned, they get some crate time. That could be the car ride to training, or crated at home. In between training sessions, when out at training, they are crated. It helps them rest and focus their energy on what we will be doing.

There are those that believe in enhancing, creating, channeling drive through deprivation. It can be very effective. It just depends on what your goals are for the dog.

I agree with your trainer that you should not be out walking and playing with your pup directly prior to a big training session. You want the pup fresh and ready to learn. Not tired and distracted by all the things moments ago he was allowed to smell and look at.

At home, it's up to you. One thing I do, if I plan on training, is let pup out if crate to go potty, then back into crate for 30-45 minutes, then back out to train, then back in crate for a bit, then out for a walk and free ball play. Separate out what you are doing, to be clear to the puppy, that each thing is something different.

The only time I use deprivation, is when my make gets more focused on playing with other dogs, then I limit his free time with my other dogs and bring more fun to training. So he remembers that I am the most fun thing. Not his housemates. I have not had to do this for a while, as he has matured, his attitude has changed a lot. He still enjoys playing with them, but will stop when told and does not get distracted, when training.

Airman1stclass 05-19-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 (Post 5537402)
I have not been keeping up with the threads you post, what are you doing with your boy?

So far we've just been working with Sean. We graduated a puppy socialization class last week which was cool. They did a little bit of obedience but it wasn't sport or anything so we never really tried to get anything from it except the socialization. But we started IPO obedience. I didn't realize and probably would never have realized how detailed it was until I started training with Sean. Meiko is learning quickly too, just basic stuff such as sit, down, stand, heal, front engagement lol just pretty much all the basics. Going from the sit position to the stand was probably the hardest thing. But we have it now. Of course none of this is perfect but it's definitely getting better. We won't start any bit work until his adult teeth come in. But I can definitely say im satisfied with the training so far.

Airman1stclass 05-19-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5537466)
Everyone has different opinions on this. Here is mine.

My dogs are first and foremost my pets. Yes, they are working and sport dogs as well, but primarily my pets. They get to be loose in my house when I am home, they sleep on my bed, on the couch, play with each other.

If I have a training planned, they get some crate time. That could be the car ride to training, or crated at home. In between training sessions, when out at training, they are crated. It helps them rest and focus their energy on what we will be doing.

There are those that believe in enhancing, creating, channeling drive through deprivation. It can be very effective. It just depends on what your goals are for the dog.

I agree with your trainer that you should not be out walking and playing with your pup directly prior to a big training session. You want the pup fresh and ready to learn. Not tired and distracted by all the things moments ago he was allowed to smell and look at.

At home, it's up to you. One thing I do, if I plan on training, is let pup out if crate to go potty, then back into crate for 30-45 minutes, then back out to train, then back in crate for a bit, then out for a walk and free ball play. Separate out what you are doing, to be clear to the puppy, that each thing is something different.

The only time I use deprivation, is when my make gets more focused on playing with other dogs, then I limit his free time with my other dogs and bring more fun to training. So he remembers that I am the most fun thing. Not his housemates. I have not had to do this for a while, as he has matured, his attitude has changed a lot. He still enjoys playing with them, but will stop when told and does not get distracted, when training.

Yeah he only told me to keep him crated before any sessions. But I was just wondering how much free time you guys gave your dogs. I'm pretty sure there are people who only allow their dogs out for potty breaks and training. Especially people with like 10+ dogs.

onyx'girl 05-19-2014 04:53 PM

The dog I train in IPO is companion first, we train in the sport for enjoyment, not so much for podium,regional or national level competition.

He has freedom in the house, with my other dogs and the only time he is crated is on training days(in the vehicle all day long)
Crating AFTER a training session is very important, the dog needs some downtime to process what the session was about. I wouldn't do a whole lot of rewarding play/fetch right after a session if there was important learning or progress going on. End it on a good note, and crate the dog up for quiet time.
I agree with not playing before a training session as well, but as soon as I get my dog out of the crate, we are playing on our way to the field(for obedience).
I cue the dog as I am bringing him out of the crate for what we'll be doing. That way the dog will get into the mode right then and there.
I don't withhold food either. My dog will start barfing bile if he misses meals, so I may give a smaller portion before we leave to track, and he'll get the rest after tracking.

wyoung2153 05-19-2014 05:15 PM

When Titan and I were very active in SAR he was still a companion... no crates unless needed for whatever reason, roamed the house, went to dog parks, walks, runs, pet stores, sleeps in my room in his bed, plays outside, all that stuff. It didn't diminish his drive at all. He knew work meant work. Even all the MWD I have come into contact with, be it home or deployed, had an off time. I got to play with one regularly on her off hours when I was recently in Africa.

I think that it all depends on you and your training and trainer. I am no expert, but that's just my opinion.

Blitzkrieg1 05-19-2014 05:58 PM

I dont play with my dog or do much with her the day before training. I crate her plenty, she is very busy in the house. Also very independent so for training purposes the crate promotes engagement and focus when she is out.

lhczth 05-20-2014 12:47 PM

My working dogs rotate between free time and crate time. When they are loose they can sleep on the furniture or on the bed, get table scraps, follow me around when I work outside, etc. If everyone got along they would probably all be out all the time except on training days. I find that as long as they hang with me, run around with me and not just have free time with their buddies, I have never had an issue with engagement.