E-collar Positioning. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default E-collar Positioning.

I'm having issues sometimes where the e-collar is sliding out of position. It has the long prongs on for long haired dogs. It seems tight enough. I can scoot a finger between the prong and his skin and feel pressure on my finger.

There are times I give a command and hit the remote but he doesn't feel the stim. I'm thinking the collar is getting out of position and loosing contact.

Any pointers on positioning and tightness? I remember see someone mention that dogs will bloat their necks sometimes and when it goes down, the collar becomes loose. I checked for that, but it doesn't seem like this is happening.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Blitzkrieg and Lou Castle were talking about this in one of the e collar threads recently, sorry I can't look it up at the moment.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I find I have to tighten it very tight and then let it out one hole from that. I want to be able to put a couple of fingers under the collar, but the receiver will be snug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was at a seminar last weekend and it was brought up that the collar reciever should be on the left side of the dogs neck during obedience. The stim will have the dog naturally want to turn away from the stim and towards the handler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I was at a seminar last weekend and it was brought up that the collar reciever should be on the left side of the dogs neck during obedience. The stim will have the dog naturally want to turn away from the stim and towards the handler.
I do position the box on the left side of the neck. The position I'm wondering about is how high up or down on the neck. Right now it's on the left side just below the ear area. There is a neck bone there also if this helps understanding where I'm positioning it. Trainer said anywhere underneath from ear to ear just not in throat area. I'm thinking when I put it on him, one prong is getting on that bone not letting me properly tightening it down. I'll have to pay closer attention tonight when I put it on him.

I was also trying to get ideas of where others position theirs too. Or if they had similar troubles on what they did to correct it. I will discuss it with the trainer monday when he gets here also. He needs to know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My main goal is to make this as constructive for Cruz as I can with as little discomfort as possible. So far he is doing well if I can get this one little problem solved.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Position should be prong(high up by the ears), ecollar, fursaver. I don't normall put a prong on with the ecollar(though I did when we were doing the foundation training to the ecollar) I always place a fursaver on for holding the dog back when I'm building drive.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Position should be prong(high up by the ears), ecollar, fursaver. I don't normall put a prong on with the ecollar(though I did when we were doing the foundation training to the ecollar) I always place a fursaver on for holding the dog back when I'm building drive.
Ha ha ha. I was talking about the prong on the e-collar receiver. I guess thats the name for them.

I had success tonight moving the collar down the neck. Sooo, time will tell.

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't use the prong collar at the same time as the e-collar. To much at once.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both collars were paired together when began the training of my dog to the ecollar.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

the collar should be on tight enough that it can't move or slide anywhere. also after putting on you should put your fingers around the prongs and move hair out of the way so the prongs are making contact with the skin.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is this where all the dog abusers hang out?
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.