German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   E-collar Positioning. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/442825-e-collar-positioning.html)

jafo220 04-25-2014 10:42 AM

E-collar Positioning.

I'm having issues sometimes where the e-collar is sliding out of position. It has the long prongs on for long haired dogs. It seems tight enough. I can scoot a finger between the prong and his skin and feel pressure on my finger.

There are times I give a command and hit the remote but he doesn't feel the stim. I'm thinking the collar is getting out of position and loosing contact.

Any pointers on positioning and tightness? I remember see someone mention that dogs will bloat their necks sometimes and when it goes down, the collar becomes loose. I checked for that, but it doesn't seem like this is happening.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 04-25-2014 10:59 AM

Blitzkrieg and Lou Castle were talking about this in one of the e collar threads recently, sorry I can't look it up at the moment.

lhczth 04-25-2014 01:14 PM

I find I have to tighten it very tight and then let it out one hole from that. I want to be able to put a couple of fingers under the collar, but the receiver will be snug.

onyx'girl 04-25-2014 01:21 PM

I was at a seminar last weekend and it was brought up that the collar reciever should be on the left side of the dogs neck during obedience. The stim will have the dog naturally want to turn away from the stim and towards the handler.

jafo220 04-25-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5431337)
I was at a seminar last weekend and it was brought up that the collar reciever should be on the left side of the dogs neck during obedience. The stim will have the dog naturally want to turn away from the stim and towards the handler.

I do position the box on the left side of the neck. The position I'm wondering about is how high up or down on the neck. Right now it's on the left side just below the ear area. There is a neck bone there also if this helps understanding where I'm positioning it. Trainer said anywhere underneath from ear to ear just not in throat area. I'm thinking when I put it on him, one prong is getting on that bone not letting me properly tightening it down. I'll have to pay closer attention tonight when I put it on him.

I was also trying to get ideas of where others position theirs too. Or if they had similar troubles on what they did to correct it. I will discuss it with the trainer monday when he gets here also. He needs to know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My main goal is to make this as constructive for Cruz as I can with as little discomfort as possible. So far he is doing well if I can get this one little problem solved.

onyx'girl 04-25-2014 05:51 PM

Position should be prong(high up by the ears), ecollar, fursaver. I don't normall put a prong on with the ecollar(though I did when we were doing the foundation training to the ecollar) I always place a fursaver on for holding the dog back when I'm building drive.

jafo220 04-25-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5432281)
Position should be prong(high up by the ears), ecollar, fursaver. I don't normall put a prong on with the ecollar(though I did when we were doing the foundation training to the ecollar) I always place a fursaver on for holding the dog back when I'm building drive.

Ha ha ha. I was talking about the prong on the e-collar receiver. I guess thats the name for them.

I had success tonight moving the collar down the neck. Sooo, time will tell.

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't use the prong collar at the same time as the e-collar. To much at once.

onyx'girl 04-25-2014 06:33 PM

Both collars were paired together when began the training of my dog to the ecollar.

scarfish 04-25-2014 06:48 PM

the collar should be on tight enough that it can't move or slide anywhere. also after putting on you should put your fingers around the prongs and move hair out of the way so the prongs are making contact with the skin.

Baillif 04-25-2014 06:52 PM

Is this where all the dog abusers hang out?;)