German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   How is pet obedience training different from show training? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/442001-how-pet-obedience-training-different-show-training.html)

Sri 04-23-2014 11:24 AM

How is pet obedience training different from show training?

I am certain there is a different style of training. The dog is more focused, engaged, conveys a happy, confident body movement when it is trained for competition. Can someone explain more the two styles of training?

And how about working dogs? .Is obedience taught the same way for all dogs? Is this how they used to do in old school training as well?

farnln 04-23-2014 11:34 AM

We are working on AKC style obedience to compete. I guess the difference for me between competition & pet obedience would be the precision involved.

Example-For a 'pet' recall, as long as the dog comes in close enough to reach easily I would be satisfied. A competition recall would have to be directly in front of me & straight.

The dogs body positioning becomes much more important in competition.

DJEtzel 04-23-2014 12:01 PM

Criteria, absolutely. "pet" obedience is trained for the dog you want to live with. I like to think the accuracy for commands at home for this type of training are around 75% - you're asking for much higher criteria if you want to show and need somewhere around 99% ;)

Kaimeju 04-23-2014 02:12 PM

It is all about having more specific standards. For competition, you get points knocked off for things like a crooked sit or giving your dog too many cues with your body language. Things that would never matter to a pet owner, but for competition they are important. I do not think it has anything to do with old school or compulsion-based training. I've seen that style of training used on both pet and show dogs.

Sri 04-23-2014 03:13 PM

Thanks all for the explanation.

But I guess my question(which I am not able to express clearly) is: Is that happy body language because of making the training more fun? The reason i ask is I see that most pet obedience trainers just seem to make it very dry. Sit treat, or sit correct. I see a huge difference between the way of the engaging and game filled training videos of some of the top sports trainers and the regular well recommeded pet trainers.

Although I do not want that perfect sit and heel, I do want to find a more engaging trainer who understands movement and play and its impact. Am i wrong in what i am thinking or wanting that even if I do not compete? ( well i do want to do agility and tracking).

DJEtzel 04-23-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sri (Post 5419889)

But I guess my question9which I am not able to express clearly) isL I s that happy body language because of making the training more fun? The reason i ask is I see that most pet obedience trainers just seem to make it very dry. Sit treat, or sit correct. I see a huge difference from the way the engaging and game filled training videos of some of the top sports trainers and the regular well recommeded pet trainers.

People that are training to compete typically engage and DO have happier, more eager dogs because of their better training style, to build a better understanding and bond to accomplish the more reliable commands.

Merciel 04-23-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Is that happy body language because of making the training more fun?

Sometimes. Sometimes it's because dogs selected for competition tend to be higher drive and inherently more enthusiastic about working.

There's no reason you can't use the play-based and motivational techniques to train pet dogs, though. They work perfectly well for that purpose and my experience has been that yes, you do get a happier and more engaged training partner using that approach, even if you never end up in the competition ring.

martemchik 04-23-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

But I guess my question(which I am not able to express clearly) is: Is that happy body language because of making the training more fun? The reason i ask is I see that most pet obedience trainers just seem to make it very dry. Sit treat, or sit correct. I see a huge difference from the way the engaging and game filled training videos of some of the top sports trainers and the regular well recommeded pet trainers.

It's because manners are more important than happiness and accuracy. It's actually only recently that a happy obedience dog has been "rewarded" in the competitions as well. A decade ago, it really didn't matter how "happy" your dog looked.

For pet people...a calm dog is more important than happy obedience. And the best way to have a calm dog is to not develop drive and to teach calmly. On top of that, teaching a dog using drive, and the way many high level competitors train is extremely difficult in the sense of the coordination that is needed many times. So, in order to teach a handler how to do all that is necessary, the proper time to reward, ect, takes a lot of time and lots of lessons. It's hard to do that when the majority of people take an 8 week obedience course and never come back.

Lilie 04-23-2014 03:56 PM

When you are training your dog to compete, you are doing a lot of training work. Months....Years.....Your dog is going to get bored, lose interest and you will fail your dog. To keep your dog interested in the work, it has to find it rewarding.

"Pet People" (as Martemchik put it) will train their dogs through OB. It can be precise or sloppy depending on the handler. Their goal isn't to compete, it's to have a well mannered dog.

Kaimeju 04-23-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

But I guess my question(which I am not able to express clearly) is: Is that happy body language because of making the training more fun? The reason i ask is I see that most pet obedience trainers just seem to make it very dry. Sit treat, or sit correct. I see a huge difference between the way of the engaging and game filled training videos of some of the top sports trainers and the regular well recommeded pet trainers.

Although I do not want that perfect sit and heel, I do want to find a more engaging trainer who understands movement and play and its impact. Am i wrong in what i am thinking or wanting that even if I do not compete? ( well i do want to do agility and tracking).

I think what you are seeing is a function of the trainer's skill. The enthusiasm comes from using motivation skillfully.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App