German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Cruz E-collar Training Update (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/441265-cruz-e-collar-training-update.html)

jafo220 04-21-2014 09:54 PM

Cruz E-collar Training Update
 
Well we finally had our first session tonight. It went pretty well. I found out this dog is extremely stubborn. I warned the trainer before we started. He didn't see it until he brought out his dogs for distraction and he commented on it. We went two hours. It pretty much waxed his butt. He is still a little stubborn and is still trying the boundaries.

The trainer started off with Cruz first then handed it all over to me. I could tell the dog was sensing my lack of confidence and would try my boundary a little harder at times. Once I got the method of using the remote down, I started getting more confident in myself and the dog sensed it and was almost perfect in those moments. We worked on come, break and off commands under major distraction with his dogs. He did really well for his first go.

It's really up to us to keep consistent with the commands and methods he showed us. I truly think this is the method we need to stick with. The trainer mentioned he would like to get enough training done to eventually not have to use the collar. But that's a ways off.

A work in progress.

jafo220 04-22-2014 08:39 PM

I'm not going to update this everyday, but I just had to share this because it's a big deal to my wife and me. Cruz stayed out while we fixed and ate dinner!!!! He wasn't a perfect angel, but all in all did great! Normally we would have been forced to kennel him due to just getting into everything. But, he either sat or laid around the kitchen while we cooked, and then laid just over the threshold out of the dining area while we ate. Almost like old times with Rocky our other GSD. This was one of our goals, for him to spend more time out of the kennel than in it.:wild:

Nigel 04-22-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafo220 (Post 5416065)
I'm not going to update this everyday, but I just had to share this because it's a big deal to my wife and me. Cruz stayed out while we fixed and ate dinner!!!! He wasn't a perfect angel, but all in all did great! Normally we would have been forced to kennel him due to just getting into everything. But, he either sat or laid around the kitchen while we cooked, and then laid just over the threshold out of the dining area while we ate. Almost like old times with Rocky our other GSD. This was one of our goals, for him to spend more time out of the kennel than in it.:wild:

Good progress!, we started using one too, but are a bit slow getting going. Ranger WAS an extreme barker in the car, we tried unsuccessfully, a number of other ways first, but decided to try the e collar. We brought in a trainer we trust and worked some OB first to find Rangers level, once we had his number we went for a ride. One full session took care of it, proofed it the following week and he's been quiet since.

boomer11 04-22-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafo220 (Post 5416065)
I'm not going to update this everyday, but I just had to share this because it's a big deal to my wife and me. Cruz stayed out while we fixed and ate dinner!!!! He wasn't a perfect angel, but all in all did great! Normally we would have been forced to kennel him due to just getting into everything. But, he either sat or laid around the kitchen while we cooked, and then laid just over the threshold out of the dining area while we ate. Almost like old times with Rocky our other GSD. This was one of our goals, for him to spend more time out of the kennel than in it.:wild:

Amazing when the dog knows who's boss

jafo220 04-23-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5416281)
Good progress!, we started using one too, but are a bit slow getting going. Ranger WAS an extreme barker in the car, we tried unsuccessfully, a number of other ways first, but decided to try the e collar. We brought in a trainer we trust and worked some OB first to find Rangers level, once we had his number we went for a ride. One full session took care of it, proofed it the following week and he's been quiet since.

Thats just great.

Cruz can be a little unruly in the car too. Once we get the basics mastered, it will be on to other things like that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jafo220 04-23-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5416289)
Amazing when the dog knows who's boss

Couldn't put it any better.

It's funny because we have worked with him on laying outside the threshold while we ate. He would just run all over us. Now that he's had this experience with the e-collar, it's like, well I better behave now. It's the same with other things. He wouldn't do for us before, but now, things are different.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sri 04-23-2014 03:32 PM

Sorry if I missed this, how old is Cruz?

Gwenhwyfair 04-23-2014 06:08 PM

I'm glad it's working for you and making your relationship with Cruz a happier and more reliable relationship.

I've not used ande collar but with the prong and Smitty I found once you made that break through we actually started trusting each other more too because as he got more freedoms he felt more confident and I felt more confident in him as well.

In the end I was able to be a LOT more positive with him because he was giving me the behavior I needed (not even wanted, just needed so we could go places and do things together).

I'm happy for you and Cruz. :)

jafo220 04-23-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sri (Post 5420001)
Sorry if I missed this, how old is Cruz?

Cruz is 15 months.

A little background. He wasn't always like this. He was a well behaved boy until he hit the 6 to 7 month age. Then he just started doing what he wanted when he wanted and as a result there was a lot of stress and conflict between Cruz and us.

jafo220 04-23-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair (Post 5420921)
I'm glad it's working for you and making your relationship with Cruz a happier and more reliable relationship.

I've not used ande collar but with the prong and Smitty I found once you made that break through we actually started trusting each other more too because as he got more freedoms he felt more confident and I felt more confident in him as well.

In the end I was able to be a LOT more positive with him because he was giving me the behavior I needed (not even wanted, just needed so we could go places and do things together).

I'm happy for you and Cruz. :)

Thank you. It has been a big stress reliever with the way he is acting now. We still have a ways to go.

We had an episode tonight where he got heavily stimulated twice as he was trying to revert back to barking and running the fence after the neighbors dog. He was off leash at the time. When his drive hits that mark, he just blows off the lower settings like they aren't there. After a couple stims with commands, he was back at my side and didn't look at the fence the rest of the afternoon. He no longer was interested in it. He was glued to my left leg, as he should be on the command.


The prong worked well for me for what I used it for and that was walks. He did well with the prong on walks. He still would test or push the boundaries. But always under control. I never used it really for a training tool. Just a control tool until we got the E-collar training started. But it served it's purpose. I no longer use the prong now. The e-collar training results so far have been great.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2