New training video.. Toy as reward this time.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default New training video.. Toy as reward this time..

Alright.. so after my last video I started using the toy as a reward vs treats. Not all the time, just more often. He has been doing awesome with it.

Now I will admit.. we're slow in the video.. IMO at least. we had been out there for some time before I remembered I wanted to video the session.. Soooo that would be the reason I am slow..

Oh an I really thought I was being much more lively than the last one... but after watching it again, apparently I am still a boring trainer. Lol. he had fun though, so I guess that's what matters. Let me know what y'all think.

Mistake #1.. I realized I asked if he wanted to "play" in the beginning.. which IMO eliminated it as a training session in his mind.. but we're working on it.

Also I apologize ahead of time if you can't hear things I say.. it was rather windy. Oh and yes, I told him to "go potty" I could tell he needed to go but wanted to bring me back the toy and didn't know what to do.. Lol. So yes.. that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5GV...ature=youtu.be

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 04-15-2014 at 08:05 PM.
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

So this is the famous Titan! Very impressive.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
So this is the famous Titan! Very impressive.
Famous, hardly to me maybe.. lol. But thanks.. any advice or tips?

Whitney
and
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Have you tried a tug or ball on string? It keeps the dog close and engaged with you quicker than throwing a ball.

In the video the dog is eager and runs fast to get the ball but slowly trots back to you. The dog isn't as eager to get back. I'd try having another ball or toy behind your back and when he is running back, show him the other toy so that he runs back to you faster. Maybe it's just my personal choice but I don't like a dog slowly making his way back. Imo it shows a dog that isn't that eager to interact with you.

He's solid on his commands though. I like how you only have to say it once.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you and I will have to do another video.. we had just done a bunch and I'll admit he was tired out already.. he's definitely eager to get back to me when we start out training.. that's usually how I tell hes getting tired.. the bolt to retrieve abd the meandering back. So part of the slowness is my fault since I knew he was a bit tired.

I havent thought of the tug.. only because he's not much of a tug dog.. he will every now and then but he lives to fetch. He'd get bored real quick.

The second toy idea is one I have thought of but I wasnt sure about it during training. I do that with play and it works out great... could I incorporate it in training?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whitney
and
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Training and play are synonymous to me.

If the dog is tired then that makes sense. An energized dog should try to bring the ball back and ram it into your stomach. Jogging backwards while clapping your hands is another trick to get the dog to come faster.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

He does respond better to the toy. But my biggest critique would be to somehow manage to play without throwing the toy so much. There ends up being a lot of down time in between work.

I agree with boomer11. Maybe use a second toy, a ball on a string(to tug with). Something that will minimize the amount if time he is disengaged from you and something that brings him back to you quicker. Or not throw the toy as far. Plus, there is a lot of aus. A second toy will get him to drop the first without you telling him and take that pressure off.

My boy prefers tug to fetch. So we do some work, reward with a 5-10 seconds of tug, back to work, 5 seconds tug, yadda yadda. Your reward is taking longer than the excersise. Does that make sense? The reward should be quick focused play WITH you, then back to work.

Only other comment, make he sure he goes ALL THE WAY DOWN, before rewarding. He got rewarded for half downs a lot. I only catch it cause I get told all the time my boys butt is not on the ground. So make sure you get a full behavior before rewarding.

All that said, you are doing a great job. He is a lovely boy!!!! You guys are a great team!!!! It obvious you are putting in a lot of effort and its showing!!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Gotcha.. I'll definitely give the second toy a thought.. He'd take to it well I think.

Oh and I know.. sometimes when he brings it back.. he's so quick the ball jams into my shins.. lol.

Looks like another video is in order!

Whitney
and
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I like the two toys idea, and the running/clapping. I have been working on engaging my nine month old more during training/playing. Right now I am working on building his drive.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Awesome.. thanks for the adcice guys! I will see what quick engagement I can come up with.

I will definitely make sure I get the full "down." you dont ever realize it until yoi watch yourself and go... umm.. wow.. haha. I love getting a second pair of eyes to look.. so thank you guys for watching it!

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.