German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   What exactly is considered 'training'? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/433977-what-exactly-considered-training.html)

Zeeva 04-05-2014 01:52 AM

What exactly is considered 'training'?

I've read that training isn't teaching your dog a bunch of circus tricks but I kind of disagree. To me, training involves getting your pup to listen and if that means engaging them in circus tricks then that's a fine form of training.

What do you think? Is training always meant to be serious and focused? My pups get mentally tired even after our circus tricks routines. And, isn't that one of the main points of training; to mentally challenge them and wear them out?

Is this considered 'training' to you?
Having fun - YouTube

Don't you love how Zeeva places herself in a corner and waits patiently for her 'turn'...

angelas 04-05-2014 02:10 AM

Training = exerting force (positive or negative) on a living being to affect their behavior, either intentional or unintentional.

boomer11 04-05-2014 02:18 AM

Man your dogs are umm big boned....

Training is about working as a team and having fun and bonding but with that said, I'd rather train stuff that is practical over commands that are useless. In what universe is shake going to come in handy?

Zeeva 04-05-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5328265)
Man your dogs are umm big boned....

I know :c

We've struggled with Zeeva's weight for a long time. Our vet says she's overweight too...

I've started them on raw about a week now. We walk about an hour with 15-20 minutes off leash time about 3 or 4 times a week...

It's hard on us and I really feel like a failure because of it...

Courtney 04-05-2014 08:13 AM

For me training reaches a goal.

David Winners 04-05-2014 09:08 AM

I teach my dogs to shake, or rather hand me their paws, so I can wipe them off.

I think you are having fun teaching your dogs stuff, and they are having fun too. I would certainly consider that training.

misslesleedavis1 04-05-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5328665)
I teach my dogs to shake, or rather hand me their paws, so I can wipe them off.

I think you are having fun teaching your dogs stuff, and they are having fun too. I would certainly consider that training.

I like this ! I taught each one of them to give me 5 just so I can scrape the muddy grossness off their little feet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Courtney 04-05-2014 10:34 AM

I taught Rusty "help me" which means just that. He will bring a towel to me when I get out of the shower, pick up sticks in the yard & lay them in a pile started by the fire pit, carry a light laundry basket, my purse a grocery bag.

My goal was for him to earn his keep in our home! lol

glowingtoadfly 04-05-2014 11:05 AM

The bang command! I almost died. Very impressive!

llombardo 04-05-2014 12:37 PM

I train commands first tricks later. The tricks are not important to me. I don't care if they give paw or not, but I humored the trainer and trained it. Robyn's command for paw is pound it and I think that is cute. I might be willing to train the younger golden some tricks because he is a super fun dog and it fits him.