German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Stay implied during "Sit" and "Down"? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/429570-stay-implied-during-sit-down.html)

GRANBYsyztem 03-26-2014 04:19 AM

Stay implied during "Sit" and "Down"?

Is this the goal? Should 'Sit' and 'Down' ultimately imply a 'Stay'? Or should a 'ssit/down' commands be followed by a separate 'stay'? Ive heard different things.

jocoyn 03-26-2014 06:11 AM

I believe it is a matter of personal choice

Baillif 03-26-2014 06:12 AM

I'd use a separate stay to make sure things are clear to the dog. It helps prepare them to "dig in" for duration. It is a personal choice thing though.

Kaiser2012 03-26-2014 06:26 AM

It entirely depends on what you want. For me, the command sit (sitz) or down (platz) means don't move until I give you another command. However, both of my dogs also know a stay command (each dog has a different command).

Shade 03-26-2014 07:42 AM

I agree it's a personal choice, both dogs know what the sit or down command entails but there is a seperate "stay" command which is not attached to a certain position which they've learned which essentially means "freeze in whatever position you are in now and don't move until released"

Okin 03-26-2014 08:23 AM

I like the implied sit/stay as long as I don't move. If I get up and move to a different place then I tell them to stay. If I am standing there and say sit or down I expect them to stay in that position until I give a release word or start to move.

Baillif 03-26-2014 09:01 AM

The reason I use a stay is dogs usually see a sit down or stand as an action and not a position. Thats why you have to teach a down from a sit a down from a stand and down in motion as separate actions. Doesn't really matter that much though but its the reason behind my preference.

Packen 03-26-2014 09:13 AM

I do not use a stay command. A sit, down or stand etc means "get into commanded position until another command is given".

Lilie 03-26-2014 09:15 AM

I don't teach a 'stay'. My last command is to be held until I either give another command or I give a release.

I do teach a 'wait'. Meaning, wait before you go through the door or wait inside your kennel after I open the door until I release. I want my dogs to be clear on 'wait', there is no gray area. This command may stop them from crossing the street, or running to meet my husband's pickup (while it's still moving) when he comes home.

Again, this just works best for me. Honestly, there are times when I'll say "Lay down and you better not move!" My dogs get what I'm implying......

Liesje 03-26-2014 09:17 AM

I agree with Packen. Sit, down, and stand imply "stay in that position until you get another command or release word."

I do have a "wait" command but this is used by itself not paired with a position. Like say my dog is hiking off leash and gets ahead of me, I say "wait" and he waits until I catch up. Or, if I'm feeding dogs and don't want everyone knocking me around and diving in, I say "wait" and they have to stay where they are until released. I don't care if it's sit, down, or stand, just hold still.