Looking for help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for help

Hello
New to the forum & hope to be around for a while

I am looking for some help
My situation

We had a male Doberman from 10 years & a female GSD Husky mix. Last July our male Doberman passed away at the age of 13, he was 3 when we rescued him. Well our female, another rescue, has always been with other dogs so we decided we'd try to find her a friend.

Well while looking a co worker if my wife told us they knew of another female GSD Husky mix that needed a home. Now our female is mostly husky but tan black & white more like a GSD. She is 7.

The new female other then being white with black markings looks all GSD & acts like a GSD. She turns 2 in April.

So we got the 2 dogs together & they played together very well in our yard. Well we also have a 3 year old son so that was the next thing to see if the new girl liked him. Needless to say she loves him & already is a protector to him. She will let him do anything to her & just sits & stares ahead.

The new girl also has had some training. Sit, Stay, Down & also she is food nuts, not aggressive but inhales her food & acts like she is starving, but telling her WAIT she will just sit there & not go for the food until you say OK

So now suddenly the 1st problem. I don't know if the new dog is herding the old dog or what but when the old dog moves the new dog will run towards her & force her to go lay down. This has also caused about 4 fights as when I am letting them outside the new dog will act like she is going out 1st but then suddenly turn & circle behind the old dog which is when the fight starts. The new dog is on top grabbing the old dogs neck- not causing injury- & the old dog is going for the new dogs face most I think to get her off .

The odd thing is outside the older more Husky dog rules the roost. Also until the stuff in the house I have never seen her back down from another dog. She will play with any dog who wants to play but if the dog wants to fight she will do that also. On one of our walks, we live in Wisconsin so a ton of snow, there are 2 dogs that go nuts by their fence when you walk by. Well one of them jumped the fence & was in fight mode. The new girl backed down. Tail between legs ready to run. The older dog was going toe to toe with the fence jumper until my yelling got the other owner out.

So I know there are other things I want to work on but 1st want to stop the fights & new dog controlling or herding the old dog in the house

Any help is appreciated
BrettR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sometimes two females can be a real hassle.

I would be keeping the NEW dog on leash and not allow the behavior towards your older dog AT ALL.

Going out the door, on leash, make her WAIT, in the house, STOP her from rushing the old dog and frankly I'd make her do 'something'..when it looks like she's going to start anything, redirect, teach her to LEAVE IT..

Sounds like maybe the new dog is pushing the old dogs buttons, and itching to start something.

I wouldn't leave the two of them alone loose unsupervised, you never know what can happen if your not there to control the situation..

With that, my advice is, to put the new dog on a leash so you can control the inappropriate behaviors towards the old dog..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yup. This. ^

When I got my Smitty dog rescue he was a rambunctious young fella and we had an older female who was used to ruling the roost. What the rescue trainer told us to do was reinforce the older dogs position in the 'pack'. So if Smitty pushed our senior's buttons I backed her up and corrected Smitty.

Teach the new dog the boundaries which means the older girl was there first and you are enforcing that hierarchy.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

bitch-bitch aggression can be really difficult to manage. It is also something you need to protect your son from. Dog fights are dangerous and terrifying. A dog in a fight can redirect aggression toward people trying to pull them apart.

You need to be able to manage the situation very carefully, or return the younger bitch. Usually an female will get along with a male much better, but dogs do not need canine companionship. If getting a dog for your dog, don't get the dog. If it is for your family, get a dog of the opposite sex.

I am sorry you are going through this, not all bitches will fight with each other, but once their is blood between bitches, it can be bad forever.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

The fights are not always. Like I said 4 of them in 3 weeks & it has never been over food or a toy. I guess we are lucky that way. Older dog never had much use for toys & while she likes treats she isn't much for eating dog food. She also needs a special food now because she was always getting struvite stones & when we'd take her off the vet food they'd come back so that is her food now, which she eats very slow.

As far as leaving them home alone.... Well we missed the boat on that one. Had both for 3 weeks & need to go to work every day, so they have been home alone every day.

It seems this is an excitement thing. It happens when I 1st come home. They are excited to see me & excited to go outside.

Normally what we have done is make the young dog, Daisy, sit & wait so the older dog, Mindy, can either go in or out 1st

Also I probably worded it wrong. We didn't get Daisy just because we thought Mindy wanted a friend. We wanted a dog for us.

I'll be trying the leash though to see if we can curb a few things. Leave it is definitely something we will be teaching.

We have plans for activities also. Maybe fly ball or agility. Mindy is a hunter, many a rabbit have met their end in the back yard. Haven't seen if Daisy is yet. That said, the lure course is the only activity besides just long walks Mindy has been into.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettR View Post
The fights are not always. Like I said 4 of them in 3 weeks & it has never been over food or a toy. I guess we are lucky that way. Older dog never had much use for toys & while she likes treats she isn't much for eating dog food.

As far as leaving them home alone.... Well we missed the boat on that one. Had both for 3 weeks & need to go to work every day, so they have been home alone every day.

JMO I would rather food/toy aggression be the reason why the dogs are fighting, you can keep toys and food away from them when they are near each other but if nothing is provoking them then they can fight at any time and all the time and to me that is much more dangerous.

The dogs should not be left out alone together, either one needs to be crated or both. If a fight breaks out and you are not there to stop it then you could come home to a blood bath or a dead dog.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 03-20-2014 at 09:50 AM.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your are risking something terrible.

I have bitches. Once or twice I have been less than perfect when latching a gate, and when I came home two were together. Two that shouldn't have been together! But, they did nothing to each other until I got home, and two greeted me at the gate instead of one, and then it was on.

Because bitches can be VERY jealous of us.

I would never intentionally leave adult bitches who have a history together. Up to now, fights have started because they both came up to you, whatever. But when bitches have a history, all that has to happen, is one bitch bump into the other walking by and then it can be ON.

And if you aren't there to stop them, bitch can and often will kill each other. You come back to a bloodbath with one dog death and one needing to be euthanized. It is a horror story.

Up to now, you did not know this, but now you do and if it happens, now it is your fault for not taking heed of clear warnings. I know that is harsh, but the consequences of leaving these bitches can be devastating. And even if one doesn't die, but kills the other, will you be able to feel the same affection for the dog that killed your other pet. Maybe the young one kills the older one, will you be able to not anthropomorphize the situation and completely exonerate the bitch as though nothing happened?
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

well it is a specific thing though. Every time has been the same, going out the back patio door to the yard. At no other point have they had an issue. Not in the yard, not in the living room, not in the basement. There is absolutely no other point they have gone after each other.

They will both sit by our fence for hours in the yard & at times bark at others walking past, but it's not like other dogs I have seen where when 1 barks, they other attacks it.

When they play, it's 100% play. They don't go for throats. The most they have done is nip at feet to get the other one to chase. It's the exact play our older female did with our male Doberman. On walks, it's like the younger one is unsure & looking to the older one for reassurance when we see new things or hear things.

I have been in contact with a local trainer. If by end of summer there are still these incidents, we will be looking for the new dog a new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post

JMO I would rather food/toy aggression be the reason why the dogs are fighting, you can keep toys and food away from them when they are near each other but if nothing is provoking them then they can fight at any time and all the time and to me that is much more dangerous.

The dogs should not be left out alone together, either one needs to be crated or both. If a fight breaks out and you are not there to stop it then you could come home to a blood bath or a dead dog.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some good info here :
https://suite101.com/a/how-to-avoid-...eholds-a183736
Two or More Dogs

And heed the advice from those who have been there done that! I'm a Boxer guy also and the rule of thumb in Boxer world is two females in a single home.."just say no!"
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Friend, the younger bitch, the new one, is just reaching two years old. She is just now becoming an adult bitch. You can't possibly know that these four fights will continue to only happen when you are around to be fought over.

We are trying to spare you some heartache.

How long has the youngster been living with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettR View Post
well it is a specific thing though. Every time has been the same, going out the back patio door to the yard. At no other point have they had an issue. Not in the yard, not in the living room, not in the basement. There is absolutely no other point they have gone after each other.

They will both sit by our fence for hours in the yard & at times bark at others walking past, but it's not like other dogs I have seen where when 1 barks, they other attacks it.

When they play, it's 100% play. They don't go for throats. The most they have done is nip at feet to get the other one to chase. It's the exact play our older female did with our male Doberman. On walks, it's like the younger one is unsure & looking to the older one for reassurance when we see new things or hear things.

I have been in contact with a local trainer. If by end of summer there are still these incidents, we will be looking for the new dog a new home.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.