just and fair corrections - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default just and fair corrections

thought I would get this in here and correct this perception -- on the thread about the young dog mauling , I related a personal experience with a robust male dog (import stock) that did exactly this . There was always a battle on the leash but it improved . At one point , same point each time , the dog had it in his head that he had put up with this long enough and he would raise himself and give a full mouth pressure grip on my upper arm.
He got himself one clean lightning fast correction which allowed us to walk home in a decent détente.

Next time out approximately the same place , he latches on. To prevent him from dropping his weight and pulling backwards in a prey pump , I grabbed his collar and kept him upright.

so to this "That was in reference to Carm saying LIGHTENING correction....she said "a lot won't like this"....but she would correct the dog...even string it up on it's tip toes to keep it walking...again...no one said boo."

the dog was not strung up which connotes the dog being hung suspended . NOT . would not do this .

I grabbed that collar and he walked along MY WAY , the only way it was going to be . Just picture a dog holding on to the sleeve running along with the decoy - that was pretty much it .

That was the solution , never did this again. We finished the 5 mile walk , no problem .

You know from the wealth of posts that I have written that I am all about genetic obedience. My dogs don't wear collars. I work with barely any words . I positively motivate which is not treating or luring or bribing.

There do come times when something is in an acute situation which if it is not remedied immediately will be a troublesome , non productive chronic , dysfunctional one .

Corrections have to be bespoke or customized to the nature of the animal . You have to have a feel for what it is going to take to get the result . One size does not fit all.

so how about discussing how and what a good correction is?

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, simply put I think a "good" correction gets the desired result, nothing more and nothing less. "More" being a dog that has a "bad" reaction like coming back up the leash at the handler, or shutting down/cowering, etc. "Less" being the correction doesn't compute.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Correct is warranted by age, offense and hardness of the dog.

What you're talking about is correcting the dog by keeping it in an uncomfortable spot that the dog put itself in to begin with. It's about timing and reflexes and having a plan in place for what to do in that particular situation. Perfect, I'd have done the same if I had the upperbody to do so.

The other thread turned sour when **comments removed by admin** attacking female trainers for their unwillingness to get physical with a dog. While I would never condone punching a dog in the head, I am a mostly positive trainer. Not afraid to push a dog out of my lap or off my bed if they don't do what they were told.

Women just aren't as big as men so it's annoying to read the women are going to blah blah high squeeky voice blah blah. Me trying to muscle 95lb Otto is like my preteen son trying to muscle my 70lb female GSD. Isn't going to happen. Yet both dogs will GSD hang on my daughters every command and she is so stereo typical of the high happy squeeky trainer voice. LOL she did basic OB with Venus when she was 8, that's what they taught her and it works for her. Both dogs adore her and see her as a leader, my second in command when it comes to dogs.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

This blog post sums up my thoughts on and use of corrections perfectly. The Dogs Are Really In Charge: Using corrections, positively: Clicker Training Journal
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
Correct is warranted by age, offense and hardness of the dog.

What you're talking about is correcting the dog by keeping it in an uncomfortable spot that the dog put itself in to begin with. It's about timing and reflexes and having a plan in place for what to do in that particular situation. Perfect, I'd have done the same if I had the upperbody to do so.

The other thread turned sour when it became a ** removed by admin** attacking female trainers for their unwillingness to get physical with a dog. While I would never condone punching a dog in the head, I am a mostly positive trainer. Not afraid to push a dog out of my lap or off my bed if they don't do what they were told.

Women just aren't as big as men so it's annoying to read the women are going to blah blah high squeeky voice blah blah. Me trying to muscle 95lb Otto is like my preteen son trying to muscle my 70lb female GSD. Isn't going to happen. Yet both dogs will GSD hang on my daughters every command and she is so stereo typical of the high happy squeeky trainer voice. LOL she did basic OB with Venus when she was 8, that's what they taught her and it works for her. Both dogs adore her and see her as a leader, my second in command when it comes to dogs.
Please don't generalize and make it sound like all the male posters were bashing the little girls ............. rest removed by admin
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the word ortho means straight or correct , and I believe right from the very beginning the that this is the route to go. You don't ride something out , let the dog shark on you , or use you as a chew toy . That gets solved asap .

next time I have a litter intended for service I'll get some youtubeys, just like the Nicholas genetic obedience thread . I'll even invite misslesleedavis (if that is your real name , wink) and she can hang out .

A lot of nonsense gets to be prolonged without need.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't say it was everyone or you, I said that why the thread went sour and it is not childish to explain that something done by one group of individuals is highly offensive to another group.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

My impression was that 1 person made that statement (which I commented on) and the discussion continued to be productive. There were a few ridiculous comments and suggestions and then a comment about the ladies on the forum. He generalized, he shouldn't have.

You shouldn't have either. I'm a guy. Read my posts on the thread.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Freddy and YOUR post is just why many get shut down/go off track..

Rather inappropriate remark and really uncalled for..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Jakoda, my intention is not to derail threads or offend anyone. Are you referring to my post 5 or 8 in this thread, or something I said in the other one?

Please explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.