German Shepherds Forum banner

**Selzer** Sitting On The Dog

11K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Kestrel 
#1 ·
Being the other thread is now closed, and I read your reply. I will have to continue here.

"Sitting on the dog" I found on this site. I couldn't find the thread but it also contained a video. The thread it was in was not specific to this topic.

Basically have a chair, have the dog on a leash or lead. Sit on the lead in the chair and let the dog have about a foot of lead. You ignore the dog like they are not there. The video said to start with a minimum of 30 minutes. You do this daily. The dog, if they are hyperactive or just won't settle down when you want to relax, this is suppose to give them the idea that when you sit down, it's relax or rest time.

It may sound kind of crazy, but it seems to work.

#38 ·
I started using this with mixed results until we decided to go down the e-collar path. I don't know if it's the training around the e-collar or he is reverting back to the "sit on the dog" method or a mixture of both, but now, when we're watching tv, he will lay down usually. This and the fact that he gets corrected now with the collar when he is doing something he shouldn't. We have not worked on the "place" command yet with the e-collar or down or sit or any of that yet. We just got started and have only worked the "off" and "come" commands. They, have been drilled into his head. So I don't know how much effect the sit on the dog method has to do with his good behavior in laying down now when we are sitting.

#41 · (Edited)
Hi, just reading about this and wanted to give it a try. I just have a question, sorry if I missed the answer somewhere. Does the dog have to be laying down in a "down" position or is it okay if the dog is laying on its side? My dog is almost always laying next to me in the house anyways, so she went right to laying on her side, as usual. I realize this will likely not be the case (laying on her side 100% relaxed) once we star practicing in a more distracting environment, but does the exercise still have the effect if she is laying that way in the house? Sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted to make sure.

#44 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure as the link in post 19 had said "the long down has nothing in common with a down/stay other than the physical position of the dog" and I wasn't sure if I had to take that literally to the word. Better to ask and be thought a fool than to start doing it wrong from the get-go, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.