German Shepherds Forum banner

calling name versus "watch me" command

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Shade 
#1 ·
I was wondering why do people use a command for letting a dog focus on you? I hear people using commands like "watch me, "look at me",... but don't you expect the same thing when you call your dogs name? Isn't it confusing for the dog?

#2 ·
I like to use a separate "focus" command because I want that command to mean, very specifically, put all your attention on me, we're about to do something. I don't use my dog's name for this because his name gets used in so many other contexts, whether I'm praising him, talking to him, talking about him. And just because he hears his name doesn't mean I want the super intense attention that I ask for in a "focus" cue. So while his name can certainly get his attention, it's just because he's familiar with the fact that it refers to him. But if he hears "focus" all his attention is immediately riveted on me no matter what he's doing and he's ready to work.

Honestly, it would be way more confusing if I expected him to be able to magically differentiate between hearing his name because I want his attention right now versus hearing his name because I just happen to be talking to him about my day.

#5 ·
I touch my nose and say "eyes" when I want eye contact. This command gets a check twice a day at least as I require eye contact during the time I am placing the food bowls down. Once I place it and step back two steps I release, dogs eat. Keeps them from bombing the bowls before I set them down and prevents spillage. Cable does it automatically, Allie can be stubborn sometimes(puppy brain).

#6 ·
I use seperate commands

Their name is strictly to get their attention and ensure they know I'm talking to them and not to another animal. I don't just call out "sit!" outside of a one on one training session when I already have their focus, I call out the name and then when they look at me "sit!" and they comply.

Focus is when I want their complete attention and eye contact regardless of the distractions around us.

I do use "look at this" as a seperate command, I do LAT training so it's completely seperated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.