German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   10 Things Your Trainer Won't Tell You (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/415690-10-things-your-trainer-wont-tell-you.html)

DaniFani 02-24-2014 05:06 PM

10 Things Your Trainer Won't Tell You
 
Unless...your trainer is like mine, then you will hear all this the first day you meet him/her. lol


10 things your dog trainer won't tell you - Chicago dog training | Examiner.com

dogfaeries 02-24-2014 05:12 PM

I love number 9.
Quote:

I am not a magician, and I cannot put a spell on your dog to behave.

Castlemaid 02-24-2014 05:42 PM

LOL! Having been a helper/assistant in obedience classes this is so right ON!!! I've bit my tongue on all of these issues, plus a few more.

onyx'girl 02-24-2014 05:45 PM

Too bad trainers don't say it! Do it for the sake of the dog!

Mister C 02-24-2014 05:54 PM

While interviewing breeders I observed a brief, informal training session between the breeder and one of her clients. Within 5 minutes Megan Judge said the first one in the list

"1. Many of your dogs so-called “issues” are actually caused by you."

Her words were more like "we help dogs with their people problems" but the gist is the same. This is one of the reasons we chose Megan and Haus Juris. I really look forward to getting my pup and training with her (and at home too, I'll be doing plenty of home work!).

blehmannwa 02-24-2014 05:56 PM

Hey! MY pit was named Felony!! I like to think I started that trend. Her reg. name was Misdemeanour.

DaniFani 02-24-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5079762)
LOL! Having been a helper/assistant in obedience classes this is so right ON!!! I've bit my tongue on all of these issues, plus a few more.

Please tell us some of your "bit my tongue" thoughts! We can start our own list :-).

My favorite I hear from friends sometimes is, "he growls at anyone walking by us, he's really protective of me, like he's supposed to be." Or (one I was told by my well-intentioned in laws when I got our new puppy), "make sure you mess with him a lot while he's eating. That way he'll tolerate kids hands in his food and won't become aggressive about food." Nope. Nope. Nope.

Springbrz 02-24-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 5079442)
Unless...your trainer is like mine, then you will hear all this the first day you meet him/her. lol

LOL! Do we have the same trainer?

At the session I "tried" to tell our trainer I was having trouble with heeling position because my dog wouldn't turn left with me without tripping me. He grinned then chuckled. He said show me...so I did. Then he took my dog and proceeded to have her heel making left turns with no problems.
He then smiled at me and said very nicely " Your dog makes left turns just fine...you don't however." Then he showed me what "I" was doing wrong. We all laughed when I said to him... "so what your saying is I suck at this, not the dog and he said yes!"

At the end of every session I thanked him for training us to train our dog. Love my trainer. :)

DaniFani 02-24-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 5080506)
LOL! Do we have the same trainer?

At the session I "tried" to tell our trainer I was having trouble with heeling position because my dog wouldn't turn left with me without tripping me. He grinned then chuckled. He said show me...so I did. Then he took my dog and proceeded to have her heel making left turns with no problems.
He then smiled at me and said very nicely " Your dog makes left turns just fine...you don't however." Then he showed me what "I" was doing wrong. We all laughed when I said to him... "so what your saying is I suck at this, not the dog and he said yes!"

At the end of every session I thanked him for training us to train our dog. Love my trainer. :)

Haha, love it! I'm imagining the same grin I get and the thought "so...you think your dog can't turn left?" Haha, too funny! At least we can laugh at ourselves, right?! It's always funny when your trainer takes your dog, after you're convinced the dog simply cannot perform the task...and then they have the dog do it perfectly. Oops.

When I started training my first GSD, his head started dropping every single time I asked for "foos" and rewarded. I went to practice and showed the trainer. "Well...I see you're dropping food...he just is predicting it and checking...this is your fault." lol! Whoops!

Castlemaid 02-24-2014 07:30 PM

Oh geez - I think my favorite was "My dog doesn't want to be trained", as an excuse as to why the owner was not making any progress. I'm not sure what he thought? That he needs his dog's permission to ask him to sit?

Then there was the lady with the spooky, nervy GSD that was so afraid of everything, the trainer put him in with the puppy class to help him build his confidence, him being the biggest and oldest dog there. Still fell apart when the smallest of puppies did so much as look at him.
Me to owner: "Don't coddle and pet him when he is acting afraid, your positive attention only re-inforces his fear"

Owner, very rudely: "I DON'T give him positive attention when he is scared, I know better than that!" and without a break continues on to her dog while petting "It's okay, big boy, don't be afraid silly, it just a wee little puppy" in a cooing voice while petting her dog all along.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2