Going to be interviewing new trainer. Questions. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going to be interviewing new trainer. Questions.

Going to be interviewing a new trainer in the next week or so. I have a few questions. Really I need to know what to ask her. January has completed advanced obedience and got his cgc. We are looking at anything to keep him busy. Most interested in more competitive obedience and possibly tracking. The problem I have is I was told she is more into the old style of training, Which I guess is more rough and tough. I have had a lot of success with positive reinforcement and we seem to work well together on that level. I know how to teach and he knows when hes learned correctly. I feel that this might be a deal breaker, which sucks because there are very few options around here. Like I said I haven't really talked to her yet. Any help with what I should ask would be greatly appreciated.
Rinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd ask if I can sit in on some of her current sessions. Alot of time you can learn alot by watching her teach, and the attitudes of the handlers/dogs.

Then I'd meet with her LATER cause you'd be able to ask specific questions about what you saw and your goals.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ask to watch, ask for proof what they state they have done.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you. I am going to sit in on a class next week and go from there. I have heard really good things and just a few things of concern. I am new to anything past cgc so not sure what to expect. Im mostly doing more training because I want to keep January working and seems to form a bond between us. Been doing a lot of reading here so Im starting to understand a lot more. I just dont feel a need to be rough with him to get what I want.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

The trainer with whom I had the most success with my dog was very old school. I'm talking teach a sit by pushing the rear down old school. She turned out to be a good fit for us because she was VERY experienced and recognized immediately that the way I was training my dog was working well for us, even if it was different. She was still able to point out handling errors I was making and let me know what I should be working on. I think watching a session should be fine for you. Something I would watch for is whether the trainer meets every dog and human at their level, or tries to offer cookie-cutter advice. Do they talk in absolutes, or are they willing to admit that dogs all learn differently? Do they require you to use certain equipment, or just suggest it?

The only truly bad experience I had with an old school trainer was this one guy who believed praise was the only appropriate reward. I was able to avoid a bad experience for my dog because I sat in on his class first.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimeju View Post
The trainer with whom I had the most success with my dog was very old school. I'm talking teach a sit by pushing the rear down old school. She turned out to be a good fit for us because she was VERY experienced and recognized immediately that the way I was training my dog was working well for us, even if it was different. She was still able to point out handling errors I was making and let me know what I should be working on. I think watching a session should be fine for you. Something I would watch for is whether the trainer meets every dog and human at their level, or tries to offer cookie-cutter advice. Do they talk in absolutes, or are they willing to admit that dogs all learn differently? Do they require you to use certain equipment, or just suggest it?

The only truly bad experience I had with an old school trainer was this one guy who believed praise was the only appropriate reward. I was able to avoid a bad experience for my dog because I sat in on his class first.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I have no problem with being stern. I pushed his butt to sit and give corrections with the leash and choke collar. She was not wiling to sign me up for a class over the phone. She wants to meet with me and see where we are at, that sounds good. I have just heard horror stories of trainers nearly choking dogs and other things. Hopefully i am way over reacting. Like I said I am new at this level and dont want to undo the great work we have done. I am definitely sitting in and watching. It might be the best thing to happen to us too. Thank you for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.