German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Theory & Methods (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/)
-   -   Teaching Lead Manners (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-theory-methods/413266-teaching-lead-manners.html)

HarleyACH 02-19-2014 01:50 PM

Teaching Lead Manners

We adopted Harley, a neutered 3.5yo male, 2 days ago.

His lead manners could do with working on. They're not diabolical but they leave a lot to be desired, especially since I am 5ft2. He by no means is too strong for me, but I'd like to improve his lead walking for both our sakes, and also I know he is smart enough to have this to work on.

He was walked on a choke chain and we have continued this method. He is so much better when allowed some flexibility in a flexi-lead but that is not always possible. We are lucky to have so much off road walking, but it takes roads to get there. Then once he is there he is fine generally on the flexi.

He also gets pully/whiney around other dogs whilst on the lead. Yet off the lead he doesn't tend to care. He is not aggressive at all. So it's not a defensive thing.

Any advice would be welcome as he is such a good dog, and very submissive, so I do not want to mess it up by going about it wrong.

DJEtzel 02-19-2014 01:54 PM

Silky leash and look at that are your friends.

Chip18 02-19-2014 03:03 PM

Take a look here:

never did the clicker thing myself but I hear /see it works.

Deno 02-19-2014 10:15 PM

IMO before you start any training you should wait until you have established a loving bond.

It's all a lot easier when the dog wants to please you.

If the dog is not happy to see you after being away from you he's not ready.

You are 5'-2" and for both of your sakes I would take the shortest most effective solid route to get where you want and need to be.

This involves training from both ends, using a prong collar along with positive reinforcement in the form of a treat at first.

It's humane and if done right you should be able to have him heeling off the lead anywhere you care to take him in no time .

I would ditch the choke chain whatever you do.

If you are not opposed to this I can explain it in detail.

Chip18 02-19-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deno (Post 5052922)
IMO before you start any training you should wait until you have established a loving bond.

It's all a lot easier when the dog wants to please you.

If the dog is not happy to see you after being away from you he's not ready.

You are 5'-2" and for both of your sakes I would take the shortest most effective solid route to get where you want and need to be.

This involves training from both ends, using a prong collar along with positive reinforcement in the form of a treat at first.

It's humane and if done right you should be able to have him heeling off the lead anywhere you care to take him in no time .

I would ditch the choke chain whatever you do.

If you are not opposed to this I can explain it in detail.

Good points and do a search for the two week shutdown on here no training, let the dog adjust to the sounds of the home as it were.

HarleyACH 02-20-2014 03:59 AM

Thanks everyone.

I will keep the training to a minimum then. He is pleased to see us and looks for us when we go - but it's been 2 days so realistically the bond is still weak. I was worried we were over doing it.

I've just Googled prong collars and I am not sure I would feel comfortable using one. They look quite harsh and he had a bad background before we got him, so want to try and avoid the behaving because of fear thing. Especially as he isn't *that* bad i.e. I can handle him and in no danger, nor is he - it is just frustrating.

What do you all think of K9 Brindles?

I'm on my netbook which won't let me watch the videos but will get on the laptop later and watch them.

Thank you again.

DobbyDad 02-20-2014 04:37 AM

If used correctly the prong is not harsh. It does look harsh. If you were to actually try it on yourself you would realize that it just punches a little. Much less harsh than a choke collar.

David Winners 02-20-2014 04:50 AM